I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

The Avebury shot was from the end of the roll.  This one is from the start - early Sept at Chenonceau.  Same camera/lens/film details.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Hah!

Bloody Canary Wharf. What *is* good about the Wharf is that the natives are too busy strutting about with a mobile phone to their ear to worry about some country bumpkin like me pointing a camera at them. If ever there's a definition of wildlife, it's them. :-)

Ric

p.s. Many, many friends and close colleagues work there, and if you're ever there lemme know 'cos there's a bar I know... and a cracking Indian restaurant.

Unfortunately, I am headed back there next week.  As for the "wildlife," my impression after having spent many hours roaming around there is that the people are mostly a boring bunch.  Of course there are moments to be stolen, but peoples' fashion and cultural statements are not very prominently displayed.  And then there is the security detail, which have become much more paranoid (speaking from my experience there just last week, after the Paris attacks...).  Even architectural and cityscape photography is limited, as the place (IMHO) just doesn't have great charm and lacks broadly known landmarks.  The view of the London skyline from the Thames is, indeed, quite lovely, though. 

My favorite pub is the "Big Easy" in the new Crossrail Station.  I also like the scotch bar at the Boisedale, though I don't really fancy scotch...

Evening in Klintholm, Danmark

M6, Cron35ASPH, Fuji Reala, C41 self

Regards

Frank

• Like 10

Unfortunately, I am headed back there next week. As for the "wildlife," my impression after having spent many hours roaming around there is that the people are mostly a boring bunch. Of course there are moments to be stolen, but peoples' fashion and cultural statements are not very prominently displayed. And then there is the security detail, which have become much more paranoid (speaking from my experience there just last week, after the Paris attacks...). Even architectural and cityscape photography is limited, as the place (IMHO) just doesn't have great charm and lacks broadly known landmarks. The view of the London skyline from the Thames is, indeed, quite lovely, though.

My favorite pub is the "Big Easy" in the new Crossrail Station. I also like the scotch bar at the Boisedale, though I don't really fancy scotch...

Happen to be there next week, meself.

Lemme know if yer want a quick drink.

Ric

Lisbon, miller.

And in fact that square is known as the gateway to Portugal. Was stunned last year to see it all cleaned up, and touristified. I remember it well when it was basically a chaotic car park for rusty Fiats, Alfa Romeos, and Austin cars that stopped whenever it rained. Did I say car park? It looked like half of Portugal ran out of petrol there, and just climbed out of their cars and left them to their fates.

21021725160_2fd4bd7aa6_z.jpgLisbon by -Ric Capucho-

21303702592_6ba2fb150a_z.jpgLisbon by -Ric Capucho-

20912454273_ac6b87c7cd_z.jpgLisbon by -Ric Capucho-

Ric

Edited by Guest

Dinosaur Skull (just kidding), Central Park

Tmax 400, orange filter, soft ND grad

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

Sheep may safely graze...  Amongst the standing stones of the Neolithic stone circle at Avebury.  IIIg, 5cm Summicron, Acros 100.

• Like 12

Sheep may safely graze...  Amongst the standing stones of the Neolithic stone circle at Avebury.  IIIg, 5cm Summicron, Acros 100.

Hi Keith - Another beautifully composed and processed B&W scene.  I don't know where you find your scenes, but you do a good job of framing your image to include very interesting subjects.  

• Like 1

Lovely foreground tones.  The filter combination presumably resulted in quite a slow shutter speed?

Thanks, Keith.  Yes, the filters slowed the shutter, as well as the necessary small aperture.  I think it was around a second.  Not ideal, for sure, as the sharpness of even stationary subjects will benefit from a fast shutter.  Being a city guy, one thing I learned from shooting out in the nature is that leaves that are affixed to tree branches never stay still!!  :D

I thought that the motion in the background in this photo adds a little to the atmospherics of the abstract scene.  But I am still trying to figure out whether it makes the initial cut...

Thanks again for your comment!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

Hi Keith - Another beautifully composed and processed B&W scene.  I don't know where you find your scenes, but you do a good job of framing your image to include very interesting subjects.  

Thanks Adam - but they hardly compare with the power and sheer epic scale of your New York large-format images!  Anyway, here is a closer view of the arches of Chateau Chenonceau (same camera/lens/film as previous).

• Like 5

I've never been able to completely let go of film, I like it too much. Even if I only shoot and process a little now and then these days, it is always very satisfying. 

23029319780_851fd6f5fe_o.jpg
Leica R8 + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8
Ilford Delta Pro 400

Processed in the Agfa Rondix 35 using my now-standard film methodology: HC-110 @ 1:50 from concentrate, temp 68°F, 8 minutes. Scanned with Nikon Coolscan V ED and VueScan. Imported and finished in Lightroom v6.3. 
  • Like 6