I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Band's back together!

I've resurrected my 35 year old F1N and FD 17mm combo that suffered in jungles and crossed seas, mountains, and mountainous seas back in the 80's and 90's...

32257546926_7e415c1142_c.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Apologies for the digital shots, but they were on a M246, so I shouldn't get slapped too hard. I'm very happy to have my old friend back with me. Now I just need Kodachrome to join the revival...

Eoin bravo for your Canon ! great memories isn't ? It's really new !

Same for me.....this camera brings me back to 1968 when I was a student . I paid it on credit.

Recently the battery compartment has to be changed and the battery goes from 1.35V to 1.5 Volts. I sent the camera to Wetzlar for a complete revision . Wetzlar changed the microprisms of the viewfinder, the exposure wheels, re-painted letters,refurbishment of the shutter ,lubrication  ...briefly entirely revised

All I have for 1200 Euros and it works again still for several decades

Some advise me to buy used and cheaper but I preferred to have it reviewed . 45 years have passed and Wetzlar still has the parts for this SLR

Hat for Leica  !

I use from time to time for the macrophoto with extension tube but I prefer my less heavy M

That said , I will not sell it because very solid and made beautiful photos like the MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8-50 LA

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 6

Last summer while on holidays in my Mothers home town Fulda, Germany, I took some nice walks, but had no idea I may one day put them on this forum. These were scanned quickly and just taken for my pleasure. That day I also took my Typ 109 too. The walk followed the river Fulda at the bottom of town. Here are a couple of studies from that walk.

The first is of a house in the middle of an orchard.

df8cedba403205ee9c94e7be3b0c166d.jpg

54f875e817e339124afae9a878429ac0.jpg

The next two were taken along the path following the river. I came across a bunch of neatly planted trees with a display of yellow small sunflower like plants. It was midday and absolutely boiling hot.

b1847a5ba10e865d0898fd77f9b55c6f.jpg

2ce545e930d585da7f0f4734763169e0.jpg

The shots were all taken on the M6 TTL with the CZ 28mm Biogon. I suspect that the film may have been Agfa Vista 200. At €7 for 3 films it was worth a try. I did find I got some very grainy dark blue skies on some shots.

Regards

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mrckdavies
  • Like 11

Eoin bravo for your Canon ! great memories isn't ? It's really new !

Same for me.....this camera brings me back to 1968 when I was a student . I paid it on credit...

Thank you Henry. You just reminded me - At one stage, not long after I got married, I had to pawn my F1N in Bangkok to pay for our rent. I was very pleased when I got some work teaching English, and got enough Baht to bail my friend out again.

• Like 4

Thank you Henry. You just reminded me - At one stage, not long after I got married, I had to pawn my F1N in Bangkok to pay for our rent. I was very pleased when I got some work teaching English, and got enough Baht to bail my friend out again.

Eoin , we attach ourselves to something "material" in the figurative sense of the term but it is necessary for our mind , to remember these memories, it is somewhat the characteristic of the man !

Do you agree ?

Best

H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Two more from the archives. This time late summer '82 at the Breisach Winefest. Pentax ME Super, Pentax-M f1.7 50mm, Kodak(?) transparency.

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So to my final few shots taken on this visit inside the Leica temple.

I think these are the first sketches and ideas of the Ur Leica.

Then a glimpse inside the factory floor.

And some cameras. Henry one with soul and another with some strange interior?

a0766de91cc577c2d76eef3a6ed25069.jpg

18ce551cc3f03ae206a349c1a008c1dc.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed. I have a lot more from my first visit, but they are not film, and neither are these close-up, or shots in the dark. I hope you will forgive this last little series.

Kind regards

Christopher

Chris exactly I would have prefered  Leica shows us also the difference inside the M6 vs the M240 Cmos sensor.

certainly less electronic part for M6 in comparison with M240 > that's why I call a "computer artificial image"

versus the M6 (I admit) with also some circuit boards , but certainly much less in comparison with digital

You said "image with a soul"  ?

Thanks for these pictures Chris

Best

H.

Edited by Doc Henry

For Chris and from Gus Lazzari in CR "Photo.Net"

MP (background) and M6 TTL a view of circuit boards

Not the same construction between MP and M6

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 6

Chris exactly I would have prefered Leica shows us also the difference inside the M6 vs the M240 Cmos sensor.

certainly less electronic part for M6 in comparison with M240 > that's why I call a "computer artificial image"

but versus the M6 (I admit) with also some circuit boards , but certainly much less in comparison with digital

You said "image with a soul" ?

Thanks for these pictures Chris

Best

H.

Henry

It is a saying here, especially Wales, when something becomes a creative tool in the hands, or becomes a force that seems to have some supernatural drive, that it has soul. It's like the Welsh singing when they play rugby. We call it "Hwyl" in Welsh - the English dictionary says - "[mass noun] (in Welsh use) a stirring feeling of emotional motivation and energy:"

Kind regards

Christopher

Edited by mrckdavies
  • Like 5

As a photographer of wedding I posted some pictures here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268140-are-there-any-benefits-of-using-film-compared-to-digital/?p=3185506

The photographer with 2 digital Canon 5DII looks always through the screen ... an habit that one loses when shooting film

Kodak TX400-MP-50 Lux Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 8

Henry

It is a saying here, especially Wales, when something becomes a creative tool in the hands, or becomes a force that seems to have some supernatural drive, that it has soul. It's like the Welsh singing when they play rugby. We call it "Hwyl" in Welsh - the English dictionary says - "[mass noun] (in Welsh use) a stirring feeling of emotional motivation and energy:"

Kind regards

Christopher

Yes Chris you have pronounced a magic word "emotional"

When I look a print or a picture something must impress me or touch me (like when I listen to

a good vinyl record  of Verdi's Traviata it gets me into the guts) , the same for the picture

The image must send you an emotion (independently of the shooting) when you look at it.

When I look an image of Henri Cartier Bresson , something touches me may be because in part

of its grain. That's this  "soul"  I mean ! not everywhere "smooth" like in digital !

I do not know if you understand what I say.

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

Yes Chris you have pronounced a magic word "emotional"

When I look a print or a picture something must impress me or touch me (like when I listen to

a good vinyl record of Verdi's Traviata it gets me into the guts) , the same for the picture

The image must send you an emotion (independently of the shooting) when you look at it.

When I look an image of Henri Cartier Bresson , something touches me may be because in part

of its grain. That's this "soul" I mean ! not everywhere "smooth" like in digital !

I do not know if you understand what I say.

Rg

Henry

Yes I understand this too. In my days of formal education when a student I studied art and history of art even for my first year in University. My photography began in a school darkroom when I was 14, or 15 making b+w prints and shooting with Zorki's and FED's. I still have a FED.

I spent my sports hours in school in the darkroom with the understanding of my teachers. Lunchtimes were spent with modelling lights and any willing volunteers. I still have a few prints from those days somewhere.

I learnt to cope with my colour blindness after painting a green lion for my mock exams. That was 40 years ago.

Believe me I do understand what you meant now.

Best wishes

Christopher

• Like 5

Eoin , we attach ourselves to something "material" in the figurative sense of the term but it is necessary for our mind , to remember these memories, it is somewhat the characteristic of the man !

Do you agree ?

Best

H

I agree completely, Henry. Every now and then, some of us need to be reminded of how immaterial the material is. I was happy to receive this reminder as, at the time, apart from my clothes, some books, and some film, my camera was the only material possession I had at hand. When i pawned the camera (for very little, too), it was unlikely that I would be getting it back. I made the right decision in doing so, and helped reinforce that material possessions are nice, but not necessary.

Thanks,

Eoin

• Like 4

Royer 6x9 folder, Angenieux Paris, 105 f4.6, Ektar 100

• Like 11

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Question;

I'm away to buy a 4 x 5 LF camera and wondered what film you guys use for Portraiture and landscape...........I've got an order in for film at B&H but haven't checked out yet.....see below

• Like 2

This is test photo for shooting in bright light Portra 400 pushed 2 stops.

Leica M3 | Summilux 50 pre-ASPH | Portra 400 pushed 2 stops 

31937941680_ef2c8f5ee3_o.jpg

Chiang Mai

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Colours and textures look great to me :)

Do you mean you rated the Portra at 1600 in bright light (pushing) or at 100 (pulling)?

The pulling in bright light would make more sense.

Cheers

J :)

• Like 2

Seattle airport.  M6 / Neopan 400 / 50 Summilux ASPH

I miss this film.

Edited by B-A-C
  • Like 8