Canon 50/1.4 LTM worthy of consideration

janrzm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

For the last week or so I've been taking a really good look at this lens on the Leica M Monochrom, M9 and Film M's.

I've done a User Report for anyone that's interested - The Japanese Summilux – Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM

There are many images and info in the report and here are a couple of samples from this very capable lens.

Leica M6 - Fuji Astia 100F

8545255857_9d84666a4f_c.jpg

Leica M Monochrom

8871563544_9aea38496e_c.jpg

Leica M9

8882954895_db7ebb1ea6_c.jpg

Cheers, Jason.

• Like 8

With respect, there's something wrong with your depiction of the type 1 schematic: it's clearly not 4 components and 6 elements. It's difficult to tell whether the third element from the left is solid or an air gap but if it's solid then the three cemented elements form a group (or "component") and the formula is 4/8. If it's an air gap then there's an additional group and one less element and the formula is 5/7.

Either way, the optical designs for type 1 and type 2 are not the same.

Pete.

With respect, there's something wrong with your depiction of the type 1 schematic: it's clearly not 4 components and 6 elements. It's difficult to tell whether the third element from the left is solid or an air gap but if it's solid then the three cemented elements form a group (or "component") and the formula is 4/8. If it's an air gap then there's an additional group and one less element and the formula is 5/7.

Either way, the optical designs for type 1 and type 2 are not the same.

Pete.

Hi Pete

The schematics are straight from original Canon Catalogues, I've not drawn them up.

I think the third element from the right is definitely an air gap, looking at it closely though from the right the 2nd group looks like it contains 3 elements which would still give 7 in total.......??

Cheers, Jason.

Thanks Jason - nice pictures and write-up. I've been experimenting with a later T2 for the past year, and have generally been pleased, especially with the small size for the speed. I also have a 50 1.8 from the same era, and overall like it better than the 1.4 - so it is also worth considering. (The 1.8 stays on my IIIf most of the time.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... (The 1.8 stays on my IIIf most of the time.)

Tom,

Does it obscure much of the viewing window? I have a Canon 50/1.2 but I don't use it on my IIIf for this reason (although I accept that the f/1.2 is larger than the f/1.8).

Pete.

Tom,

Does it obscure much of the viewing window? I have a Canon 50/1.2 but I don't use it on my IIIf for this reason (although I accept that the f/1.2 is larger than the f/1.8).

Pete.

It would be interesting to know, I know the f/1.2 is larger as I've used one, the 50/1.8 I'd just always assumed to be almost the same as the 50/1.4

The Canon 1.8 blocks much less of the viewfinder than the 1.4, but more than a Summitar because of the diameter of the focus ring. Here are comparisons:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'll try to get some "through the viewfinder" shots to illustrate.

• Like 2

Here is a comparison via quick iPad shots. The 50 1.4 Canon:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and the 50 1.8 Canon:

The Summitar barely is visible on the bottom of the finder, so I didn't bother with it.

• Like 1

Thank you, Jason. An interesting article - and some great images.

I own this lens and agree that it's an excellent performer - particularly if it's clean and properly adjusted (ditto for the 50/1.2).

If you like the Sonnar look - and manage to get hold of one at a reasonable price - I'd suggest you try the (earlier) Canon 50/1.5 as well.

Also, perhaps this thread would be better suited to the Lens sub-forum?

• Like 1

Thank you, Jason. An interesting article - and some great images.

I own this lens and agree that it's an excellent performer - particularly if it's clean and properly adjusted (ditto for the 50/1.2).

If you like the Sonnar look - and manage to get hold of one at a reasonable price - I'd suggest you try the (earlier) Canon 50/1.5 as well.

Also, perhaps this thread would be better suited to the Lens sub-forum?

Thanks Ecar,

I have a small list of lenses to search out when I'm in Japan, the 50/1.5 is one of them, thanks again.

Jason