Are there any fisheye lens options for the M?

dant

Anyone try a fisheye with an adapter? How is sharpness? Are color shifts doable or is it going to be a monochrome only lens?

Since the only fish eyes available are SLR lenses which U have to place on the M or M9 with an adapter, the distance between the sensor and the lens is quite big. So I don't think threre will be problems like colorshift.

On the Fred Miranda altenative forum someone posted some M9 with nikon fisheye shots not that long ago. They looked pretty good.

Anyone try a fisheye with an adapter? How is sharpness? Are color shifts doable or is it going to be a monochrome only lens?

I am using an M42 Zenitar 16/2.8 on an Elephoto adapter. There is no problem with colour shift on this lens, as the exit pupil is well forward of the sensor plane. Certainly far better than the 15mm CV Super Heliar, where the red edge needs major correction with a template. I will post a photo taken with it tomorrow.

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I was hoping Samyang would make a fisheye in the M mount. They replied to my inquiry telling me they have no plans.

What are the options for using a FF fisheye lens on the M?

Tested Canon FD 7.5 mm on NovoflexAdapter with M9. No color shift whatsoever, good sharpness (not quite up to Leica standards but very acceptable). The f-stop has to be selected manually with this lens anyway, so it works like on an old Canon FD body. Best of luck with your fisheye Dunkelmann

I only have a monochrome at the moment so I can't comment on colour shift, and it's a circular fisheye so I can't comment on corners, but a Nikon 8mm 2.8 AI-S lens is rediculously sharp on the MM after about 5.6. I'm just using an ebay Nikon F to Leica M adapter.

8581811088_3ae7035246_c.jpg

L1006408 by ryankarr, on Flickr

8583983220_4b49ee197d_c.jpg

L1006457 by ryankarr, on Flickr

8580708769_f58a334fea_c.jpg

L1006462 by ryankarr, on Flickr

8580708967_3e07907467_c.jpg

L1006450 by ryankarr, on Flickr

• Like 11

The fisheye look is spectacular. Another very wide consideration for a lens that needs no corner fix is the R 15/2.8.

I have posted some shots taken with this lens on my M over the the R lenses on M thread under the R/Leicaflex area.

You don't need an M240 for fisheye work. An oldie;)...M9 with Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You don't need an M240 for fisheye work. An oldie;)...M9 with Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16.....

However, the EVF does take away a lot of the guesswork as to what you are going to get with a fish-eye, unless you have a fish-eye optical finder.

Wilson

pretty cool. do you know how this would work on an M8 with the crop factor?

My Zenitar 16mm works more like a normal wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion on the M8, than a real fish-eye. I think if you want to go for a fish-eye for the crop sensor M8, you are better going for an 8mm circular field lens (i.e. a true fish-eye) than a 16mm rectilinear field lens. You can get a Peleng 8mm in M42 for not a lot of money (about £200 new - possibly less used). People tend to buy these, play with them for a bit, get bored and sell them on Fleabay.

Wilson

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread -  Leica M7 with Peleng 8/3.5 EF fisheye lens and K&F EF/M mount adapter. I had to estimate the circular view and the distance for this shot. Taken with Kodak Gold 200 film, developed with C-41 process at home. That the full circular view is cut on top and bottom relates to the lens itself - same thing happens when directly mounted on my Canon FF camera. 

p2179928507-5.jpg

M 240 with Minolta 7,5 mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1