Stand developing HP5+ in either rodinal or D76

wellyau

When I do stand it is with Rodinal 1:100 dilution for 1 hour at 20C. Intial 30 secs inversion at start, tap tank on work surface and leave. At the 30 mins mark I do just one slow inversion, tap, leave. Once the hour is up, water stop and alkaline fix.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I do stand it is with Rodinal 1:100 dilution for 1 hour at 20C. Intial 30 secs inversion at start, tap tank on work surface and leave. At the 30 mins mark I do just one slow inversion, tap, leave. Once the hour is up, water stop and alkaline fix.

Is this how you develop 5222, Andy? And would stand developing work also with, say, HC110 and that film?

cheers

Philip

Philip - I have done it with 5222. and worked fine. I have not tried stand developing with anything other than Rodinal so cannot comment on HC110.

I usually do stand when I have changed ASA throughout the roll for various reasons. Not so much now, as I have a Jobo ATL-1500.

• Like 1

Fab, thank you. I'll try that out.

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks Gary for posting those shots. They look fabulous. I'm impressed. Did you agitate halfway or?

Cheers

Philip

I agitated for first 30 seconds then 1 halfway, i have just done an ordinary developement adding 18grams of sodium sulphite to Rodinal and i might try it in a stand developement, this is one of them, i love to experiment one of the main reasons i have not shot any digital for 7 months

scan424-L.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
I read in this write-up about stand development using Rodinal that it would be possible to expose one and the same roll at different EI and get ok results. Has anyone tried this?

That's an unnecessarily verbose article. All he had to write is, "High dilution stand development (in Rodinal) works by processing to completion - the exhaustion of the developer, therefore the same time/temp can be used for any film."

One hour is overdoing it. 40 minutes gives the same results.

"The same roll at different EI" is bull. Any film can be regarded as different EI on the same roll if you consider latitude.

It's a silly article, but a good study in self-deception.

I read in this write-up about stand development using Rodinal that it would be possible to expose one and the same roll at different EI and get ok results. Has anyone tried this?

I get the sense of what he means, but it is fundamentally flawed.

A far better option to stand development is to use a compensating developer, such as Diafine. True if you don't have any Diafine then Rodinal and stand development gets you somewhere along the road. But the stand development cult is largely based around photographers imagining they are out there pushing the boundaries and exploring the edge of the envelope, when in fact there are developers under their noses that do a far better job, and at normal developing times, and with far better results and consistency. But Rodinal worship is a powerful cult and hard to break free from.

If not Diafine then DiXactol (good for medium format), or to really push the boundaries mix your own using Jay De Fehr's 'Obsidian Aqua' (good for all formats) formula.

Steve