Remote cable release for M240 - has Leica modified their standard one?

wlaidlaw

This won't work when you need control of the exact point in time when to fire the shutter.

In most scenarios where you are using a cable release you do not need to control that exact point. My method will help the majority of tripod shooters.

In most scenarios where you are using a cable release you do not need to control that exact point. My method will help the majority of tripod shooters.

Don't agree. The exact point of exposure even for seemingly static landscapes is best controlled for when the clouds form ideally for you or whatever you need to control are best accomplished using cable releases.

• Like 2

Don't agree. The exact point of exposure even for seemingly static landscapes is best controlled for when the clouds form ideally for you or whatever you need to control are best accomplished using cable releases.

Ok Algrove if you say so. For me the 2 seconds delay and not having to deal with a cable release works. I hope you find a solution. For anyone else its an easy work around on the M9 or M240. I was just trying to help.

Having been using the time release for the last few months on the M240, I can tell you it is a big relief to get back to using a proper (Nikon A-3) cable release. If you use long lenses (and I am occasionally using up to 1200mm), you have to use 12 seconds to allow the vibrations caused by pushing the button to decay. This is just plain irritating. The cable is far better.

Wilson

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, after a 3 week long trip one of my M's ate up 5 cable releases. Every time it happened and very small end of the cable release would break off way down deep into the cable release hole.

As Wilson will remember, I queried CS Solms last summer about this and they said there was no change made to the cable release threads.

So after some dirt on the sensor and this cable release issue I sent the body into Leica NJ today and called them to alert them to the situation. I was told that my M is NOT the only one with cable release issues and they will address it.

That is a change from last summer!

• Like 3

Well, after a 3 week long trip one of my M's ate up 5 cable releases. Every time it happened and very small end of the cable release would break off way down deep into the cable release hole.

As Wilson will remember, I queried CS Solms last summer about this and they said there was no change made to the cable release threads.

So after some dirt on the sensor and this cable release issue I sent the body into Leica NJ today and called them to alert them to the situation. I was told that my M is NOT the only one with cable release issues and they will address it.

That is a change from last summer!

Lou,

Were these all Leica releases or Nikon ones as well? I have to say I have been using my Nikon AR-3 for nine months now with no problems. My Leica and the identical Minox release are gently grazing in the pasture, they have been put out to.

Wilson

This was from my stock of either Leica or Hama cable releases. I forgot my red Japanese model as well as any of my old 12" models which usually perform much better I believe due to better hardening of the metal thread assembly on the cable release itself. I was too concentrated on lens choices and as a result did not concentrate on basic cable releases.

I even ate up two nice 40" releases I usually reserve for use on my V Hassy/Phase One.

Looks like I am getting so low on cable releases its time to get the Nikon model before they too are made cheaper.

A person at Leica Mayfair, who did not wish to be quoted by name, told me that it was believed that the problem was associated with the process used to chromium plate the shutter release button. It was postulated that in some instances the plating was getting onto the tapered thread. As a consequence the effect was very variable.

It seems that if a camera is returned, with all the hassle that that involves, Leica replace the shutter release button.

• Like 1

A person at Leica Mayfair, who did not wish to be quoted by name, told me that it was believed that the problem was associated with the process used to chromium plate the shutter release button. It was postulated that in some instances the plating was getting onto the tapered thread. As a consequence the effect was very variable.

It seems that if a camera is returned, with all the hassle that that involves, Leica replace the shutter release button.

Possibly explains my issues. Trust they WILL replace that shutter release button.

• 2 weeks later...
This was from my stock of either Leica or Hama cable releases..

Yes it would appear to be a manufacturing defect then or some sort of variability. FWIW I have a Hama release in every bag because I use them for large format, medium format and my Leica's, and they all work perfectly with my M240 so maybe try again with Hama now it's repaired?

Steve

• Like 1

I have a M240 serial #480xxxx purchased 12/2013 and I have three cable releases. A made in Japan release purchased for my previous M9-P screws into my M240 7/8 of a turn. An older Leica 14076 release screws into my M240 1 1/4 turns, and a new, just purchased, Leica 14076 release screws into my M240 1 1/2 turns. All three of the cable releases worked the shutter just fine and screwed in straight. The new Leica at 1 1/2 turns feels the most secure and I will use that one. I put a small strip of masking tape on the barrel of the cable releases and marked it with a dot so that I could accurately determine the number of turns. They felt like they were going in farther than they actually were.

I have a M240 serial #480xxxx purchased 12/2013 and I have three cable releases. A made in Japan release purchased for my previous M9-P screws into my M240 7/8 of a turn. An older Leica 14076 release screws into my M240 1 1/4 turns, and a new, just purchased, Leica 14076 release screws into my M240 1 1/2 turns. All three of the cable releases worked the shutter just fine and screwed in straight. The new Leica at 1 1/2 turns feels the most secure and I will use that one. I put a small strip of masking tape on the barrel of the cable releases and marked it with a dot so that I could accurately determine the number of turns. They felt like they were going in farther than they actually were.

You are fortunate. I have broken 4 of the Leica cable releases 14076 and three of the Hama identical ones and who makes the Leica cable releases and numerous other brands totaling about 10 broken cable releases before I realized there was a fix (hopefully) for my ills. I have owned many M240 up until now and all but my last ones have eaten cable releases regularly due to what I assume someone above described as the problem in post#111 above.

Edited by algrove

• 7 months later...

I bought a genuine older style Nikon cable release and have been using it with great success for about 6 months now. Despite the fact that I love my M240, I must admit that I find it a bit pahetic that in the second decade of the 21st century, that Leica should make a high end camera with a bloody mechanical cable release. As a friend of mine in the advertising industry quipped recently "Leica - for people who are desperately afraid to move out of their comfort zone".

I needed to use a remote release on my M240 the other day, when I was using a Telyt 280 on it. I have two that I regularly use, a Leica one from around 2000 and a 1980's Minox one. These are nice metal mesh covered releases with a mechanical shutter latch down if required and look absolutely identical. I suspect they were made by the same third party supplier.

However, neither fit well on the M240. They only screw in about half a turn and tend to come undone, as you move the release about. Has anyone bought a Leica release since Leica modified the shutter release thread for the M9-P and M-E, carrying the design on to the M240? Have Leica modified the thread on this? I don't want to pay out £44, only to find it is the same as the ones I already have.

Wilson

• 2 years later...

Got AR-3 from Amazon couple of days ago, thanks Wilson :)

Works well on R8, MP, M9 as well as Nikon FE2 but than no surprise there.

That was back in 2013, recently my AR-3 fell apart while in use on M240, if I could only find a receipt I would make noise with either Amazon or Wex, don't even recall where I bought it from.

Just found and ordered s/h Leica 14076.