Keep My M9-P and Add a NEX-7 Body vs. M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like everyone, I was very excited when the M240 was announced. I started saving for one almost immediately. But my interest has started to wane.

I have a wonderful M9-P and I love the image quality it produces with my 24mm Elmar, 35mm 'cron, and 90mm Elmarit. I like having a backup camera, and have used a Fuji X100 alongside the M9-P. The Fuji has some absolutely maddening faults, but, with it you can produce some stunningly good images.

To replace the X100, I just got a great new Sony NEX-7 body and a good M-lens adapter brand new for $1000. I know it has red edge issues with WA lenses--not unlike the M9 early on--but it the image quality is everything it is touted as being with my 35mm 'cron mounted, it may prove to be a great solution alongside my M9-P.

The longer I wait for an M240--and no one seems to be able to predict when I might see let alone get one--the more my minty M9-P--which I must sell to fund the M240--declines in value. It really hurt when Leica unveiled the M-E as its stop gap digital M and cut the price by about 25%. That may have benefited Leica, but it really de-valued the M9/M9-P resale market and made the M240 that much less attainable.

Someday, when I can try the M240, I will evaluate the image quality it produces and see whether it may be worth the expense. I am not terribly optimistic given the reviews thus far. To me, when it comes to image quality, it sounds as if it's no better than what I already have, though I do like a lot of its features--battery life, reduced high ISO noise, viewfinder, weather-sealing, etc. Time will tell if my M9-P, my glass, and my NEX-7 offer me a better overall solution than the M240.

• Like 1

My experience of NEX-7 was one of disappointment. Had and have still an M8 and thought NEX would give better IQ with my 28 Summicron and WATE. Not so, I like my M8 landscapes etc. far better. I think A2 size prints can't hardly come any better that with M8.

So I sold my NEX-7 and upgraded to a pre-owned M9. Too early to tell, if my landscapes will visibly improve. No hurry to upgrade to M, but the time may come.

I can tell you from experience that having too many cameras takes away from the experience of photography. I will be buying the M not because it can do things better than other cameras I own but to consolidate my camera/ lenses into one flexible system that will be good at street, landscape, low-light, and portraiture.

• Like 1

I have an M9 and Monochrom. Our family bought my nephew a NEX-7 with some old R-lenses (35 & 50 R-Summicrons). I had also considered getting a NEX-7 for myself before the Monochrom came along.

I've been teaching and helping him process the files and the results are superb....until I put them up next to those of the M9 (let alone the Monochrom). Yes, it is very compact (and I don't mind the ergonomics), focus peaking is good for fast lenses at very shallow DOF, and it lets one use R-lenses for significantly less than an M240 but the file IQ doesn't compare to that of a FF Leica. I would not consider it a substitute. There is also the advantage of having a standard platform for all of one's lenses.

My experience of NEX-7 was one of disappointment. Had and have still an M8 and thought NEX would give better IQ with my 28 Summicron and WATE. Not so, I like my M8 landscapes etc. far better. I think A2 size prints can't hardly come any better that with M8.

So I sold my NEX-7 and upgraded to a pre-owned M9. Too early to tell, if my landscapes will visibly improve. No hurry to upgrade to M, but the time may come.

Same here. Anyone looking for a low mileage NEX-7 w/Leica adapter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with Bernd, especially for traveling. As a hobbyist I think its nice to have a one camera system but of course some would suggest its handy to have two bodies so you don't have to change lenses all the time. I thought about going your route recently too but I'm holding back the temptation because I know I'll regret it later. The M does high ISO as well so its going to be a very capable one camera system. Resale values on body is never that good, I think Leica's resale is very forgiving (% wise) in comparison to Nikon and Canon. My D800 is only worth about 60% of its original price after one year of light use.

If i had a M9 maybe I could have the same doubt (having a M8, my view is different... ;)) : but me too think that two such different cameras can be not so effective for an amateur.... unless one has a specific usage in his mind (indeed, before the M announcement, I thought at Nex or similar as a "host" to dedicate to long focals)