The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Keep My M9-P and Add a NEX-7 Body vs. M240

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 photolandscape

photolandscape

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • City / Ort:Portland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:52

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Like everyone, I was very excited when the M240 was announced. I started saving for one almost immediately. But my interest has started to wane.

I have a wonderful M9-P and I love the image quality it produces with my 24mm Elmar, 35mm 'cron, and 90mm Elmarit. I like having a backup camera, and have used a Fuji X100 alongside the M9-P. The Fuji has some absolutely maddening faults, but, with it you can produce some stunningly good images.

To replace the X100, I just got a great new Sony NEX-7 body and a good M-lens adapter brand new for $1000. I know it has red edge issues with WA lenses--not unlike the M9 early on--but it the image quality is everything it is touted as being with my 35mm 'cron mounted, it may prove to be a great solution alongside my M9-P.

The longer I wait for an M240--and no one seems to be able to predict when I might see let alone get one--the more my minty M9-P--which I must sell to fund the M240--declines in value. It really hurt when Leica unveiled the M-E as its stop gap digital M and cut the price by about 25%. That may have benefited Leica, but it really de-valued the M9/M9-P resale market and made the M240 that much less attainable.

Someday, when I can try the M240, I will evaluate the image quality it produces and see whether it may be worth the expense. I am not terribly optimistic given the reviews thus far. To me, when it comes to image quality, it sounds as if it's no better than what I already have, though I do like a lot of its features--battery life, reduced high ISO noise, viewfinder, weather-sealing, etc. Time will tell if my M9-P, my glass, and my NEX-7 offer me a better overall solution than the M240.
  • Dannybuoy said thank you to this
See some of my work on: www.steveplattner.com or www.pbase.com/photolandscape. And, you can see my growing collection of photo books at www.blurb.com under "plattners".

#2 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 8,869 posts
  • City / Ort:The "Land of Enchantment"

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:07

Not better or worse but different.
  • photolandscape said thank you to this
With best regards, K-H.

#3 Wilier

Wilier

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • City / Ort:Espoo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:45

My experience of NEX-7 was one of disappointment. Had and have still an M8 and thought NEX would give better IQ with my 28 Summicron and WATE. Not so, I like my M8 landscapes etc. far better. I think A2 size prints can't hardly come any better that with M8.

So I sold my NEX-7 and upgraded to a pre-owned M9. Too early to tell, if my landscapes will visibly improve. No hurry to upgrade to M, but the time may come.

#4 BerndReini

BerndReini

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:54

I can tell you from experience that having too many cameras takes away from the experience of photography. I will be buying the M not because it can do things better than other cameras I own but to consolidate my camera/ lenses into one flexible system that will be good at street, landscape, low-light, and portraiture.
  • kdriceman said thank you to this

#5 MarkP

MarkP

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 5,080 posts
  • City / Ort:Sydney

Posted 28 March 2013 - 21:56

I have an M9 and Monochrom. Our family bought my nephew a NEX-7 with some old R-lenses (35 & 50 R-Summicrons). I had also considered getting a NEX-7 for myself before the Monochrom came along.

I've been teaching and helping him process the files and the results are superb....until I put them up next to those of the M9 (let alone the Monochrom). Yes, it is very compact (and I don't mind the ergonomics), focus peaking is good for fast lenses at very shallow DOF, and it lets one use R-lenses for significantly less than an M240 but the file IQ doesn't compare to that of a FF Leica. I would not consider it a substitute. There is also the advantage of having a standard platform for all of one's lenses.

#6 Photoskeptic

Photoskeptic

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  • City / Ort:Folly Beach, SC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 22:01

My experience of NEX-7 was one of disappointment. Had and have still an M8 and thought NEX would give better IQ with my 28 Summicron and WATE. Not so, I like my M8 landscapes etc. far better. I think A2 size prints can't hardly come any better that with M8.

So I sold my NEX-7 and upgraded to a pre-owned M9. Too early to tell, if my landscapes will visibly improve. No hurry to upgrade to M, but the time may come.

Same here. Anyone looking for a low mileage NEX-7 w/Leica adapter?
www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

#7 rirakuma

rirakuma

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • City / Ort:Brisbane

Posted 28 March 2013 - 22:03

I agree with Bernd, especially for traveling. As a hobbyist I think its nice to have a one camera system but of course some would suggest its handy to have two bodies so you don't have to change lenses all the time. I thought about going your route recently too but I'm holding back the temptation because I know I'll regret it later. The M does high ISO as well so its going to be a very capable one camera system. Resale values on body is never that good, I think Leica's resale is very forgiving (% wise) in comparison to Nikon and Canon. My D800 is only worth about 60% of its original price after one year of light use.

#8 luigi bertolotti

luigi bertolotti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 10,149 posts
  • City / Ort:Brescia

Posted 28 March 2013 - 22:26

If i had a M9 maybe I could have the same doubt (having a M8, my view is different... ;)) : but me too think that two such different cameras can be not so effective for an amateur.... unless one has a specific usage in his mind (indeed, before the M announcement, I thought at Nex or similar as a "host" to dedicate to long focals)

0 user(s) are reading this topic