Leica M-E discontinued ?!

LoL22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The amazing thing is that it is still listed among the new products on the leica site

Leica Camera AG - New Products

Brett may well be right and he has more inside knowledge than most of us. As we all know leica marketing and product release seem to be a rule unto their own

On the website is the: M9 and M9-P with the subtitle: A New Dimension in Digital Photography. Discontinued but listed, Amazon has new available from various vendors.

Compact, Built for a Lifetime, and Enduring in Value

It is not rare for a Leica to become its owner's lifelong companion. This also applies to the digital Leica M9 and equally to the M9-P: despite the considerably larger sensor, it has been possible to maintain the compact body size of their predecessors, the Leica M8 and M8.2. With dimensions of only 139 x 37 x 80 mm, the Leica M9 and M9-P retain the ideal size of the M series and the unique honor of being the world's smallest full-format digital system cameras. The full-metal housing, made from a high-tensile magnesium alloy, and a top deck and bottom plate machined from blocks of solid brass, provide perfect protection for their precious inner mechanisms. The digital components and shutter assembly of the M9 and the M9-P are similarly constructed with a lifetime of endurance in mind. Free updates ensure that the cameras' firmware always embraces the latest developments. In short: an M camera is not only an investment for life, but also a lifelong companion.

I am hoping and expecting Leica to honour these statements, £5,500 on a new camera body I wouldnt expect it to be unsupported in a few years time.

My M9-P will quite possibly be my lifelong companion ;)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

well even if they did discontinue production....they wouldn't want to announce it being discontinued until the stocks are depleted----so that people buying it won't be discouraged from buying one. this happens all the time in other products; it's nothing new.

there are lots of unsold M-Es around at the moment. I'm sure it will take months to clear those up.

Two years later and the M-E is still (for now) in the catalog.  

I just did my part to help clear out the stocks by purchasing a new two-weeks-ago from Ken Hansen.

Absolutely delightful camera and the perfect color backup to my (first generation) M Monochrom.

• Like 1

I just hope they stockpile sensors and support the M9, my M9-P was a late 11 vintage that I picked up secondhand in April last year from Stephens when the owner sold to be ready for the M10 on May 10..... Strange when the camera had less than 1,000 actuations. I'm still bonding and learning and I'm currently just over 8k. I'm banking on 5+ years service. I'm sure by then something will be out that is suitably better and a worthwhile upgrade

I'm still as chuffed with it as I was in April lat year to be honest, I do hope they keep the Monochrome going for this year 240M late 13, early 14 ?

Hi,

I also bought a used M9-P from Stephens Leica (Manchester, January 2014). The camera was originally sold new in January 2012 so, like you,  I have a 2011 model. As soon as I processed my first set of shots I noticed that the sensor had a problem. This was before the CCD sensor issue became public knowledge & so, at the time, I suspected that the marks on my pictures were probably caused by a poor cleaning effort. Knowing what I do now, I'd bet my mortgage that the much discussed sensor glass/adhesion degradation was the real problem.  

In any event, Stephens' service was excellent. My camera was obviously sold to me with the problem & I was loaned an M9 while mine was being repaired. It was returned from Solms in 4 weeks having been serviced; rangefinder re-set and (more important) with the sensor replaced. Although Leicas are bloody expensive, they put my problem right without any fuss, and took responsibility for it. And, because of their more recent acknowledgement of the fault - and their commitment to replace (even replacement) sensors going forward - I feel confident that if the problem recurs, it will be fixed again at no charge.

I don't buy cameras to upgrade them every year and I don't want the new M. And so again, like you, I'm looking to use my m9-p for a few years yet - and for Leica to provide the 'insurance' that I will be able to. My experience with both Stephens & Leica has reassured me.

I hope you're still enjoying it;  I bloody love mine.

Regards,

Chris.         

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just purchased an almost new M-E for £2100. Arrives tomorrow, utterly delighted to be upgrading from my M8, which is still going strong, 12k accusations and counting, although it will most likely be sold.

I've read the M-E production quality is higher than the M9. Things feel tighter and quieter, apparently. Any thoughts?

Am not fussed if it will soon be discontinued... this is not an iPhone after all, or at least I do buy Leica digital bodies annually.

Just purchased an almost new M-E for £2100. Arrives tomorrow, utterly delighted to be upgrading from my M8, which is still going strong, 12k accusations and counting, although it will most likely be sold.

I've read the M-E production quality is higher than the M9. Things feel tighter and quieter, apparently. Any thoughts?

Am not fussed if it will soon be discontinued... this is not an iPhone after all, or at least I do buy Leica digital bodies annually.

No difference whatsoever in build quality between my M-E (currently at New Jersey for sensor replacement) and my first generation M Monochrom (early production).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No difference whatsoever in build quality between my M-E (currently at New Jersey for sensor replacement) and my first generation M Monochrom (early production).

That is good to hear, but in my basic internet research, I read the M9 had issues with build quality. I think there would have been all ironed out by the time the MM came around.

That is good to hear, but in my basic internet research, I read the M9 had issues with build quality. I think there would have been all ironed out by the time the MM came around.

Could be, and the M-E was released at the same time (2012), three years into the the M9 generation's production run.

I have an M9P  and M8.   Thought about the ME for two full frame cameras, but rejected the idea.   I do use USB and frame selector and now the sensor corrosion issue has surfaced.  The CCD train has left the station for me.  I am quite confident I can adjust the CMOS file to look like the CCD .   So there remains an issue of what may happen when  when you take the camera from the lead lined storage and a cosmic ray happens by.  And the issue of sensor replacement for corrosion.  I really do not want some ham fisted service person tearing down my camera and doing sloppy reassembly.  These things are difficult to check out and warrantee may expire b/4.  My two operate perfectly and I keep it away from humidity.   

Clean with air brush compressor,  lens pen and scope as required and sticky wand.

The Lens pen and sensor scope are really marvelous as I can watch in real time as I lift an errant spec without spearing something over the entire sensor.  Since we already have thousands invested,  I highly recommend the $50 expenditure as it works well with any camera.    Also travels well.   It is the miniature version of a grounds keeper picking up paper scraps with a pointed stick.

My next Leica will not have the red line issue .  The firmware engineers need to get up to speed.

• 3 weeks later...

been following this thread with great interest as I was an early adapter for both the M8 & M9

held off on the M240 as its bells & whistles hold little interest for what I want from my Ms

that Leica is supporting the M9 with an improved design gives me hope that the folks in charge will continue to think out of the box and there may be a future M with a CCD sensor

CCD does have its advantages

I find it ironic that Phoenix is now HQ for the latest iteration of Kodak's sensor division

• Like 1

I have an M9P and M8. Thought about the ME for two full frame cameras, but rejected the idea. I do use USB and frame selector and now the sensor corrosion issue has surfaced. The CCD train has left the station for me. I am quite confident I can adjust the CMOS file to look like the CCD . So there remains an issue of what may happen when when you take the camera from the lead lined storage and a cosmic ray happens by. And the issue of sensor replacement for corrosion. I really do not want some ham fisted service person tearing down my camera and doing sloppy reassembly. These things are difficult to check out and warrantee may expire b/4. My two operate perfectly and I keep it away from humidity.

Clean with air brush compressor, lens pen and scope as required and sticky wand.

The Lens pen and sensor scope are really marvelous as I can watch in real time as I lift an errant spec without spearing something over the entire sensor. Since we already have thousands invested, I highly recommend the $50 expenditure as it works well with any camera. Also travels well. It is the miniature version of a grounds keeper picking up paper scraps with a pointed stick.

My next Leica will not have the red line issue . The firmware engineers need to get up to speed.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that lead will not stop neutrons. You might try immersing your camera in a large vat of heavy water to preserve itt
  • Like 1

Live view and video is something the M can do by virtue of its other features, so disabling these options would do nothing to cut costs.

I don't think the features that were left out of the M-E were all that much about cost saving in the production process. I think the M-E concept is more or less a business strategy to discount old stock as a different version at a discounted price without ruining the market value of the original version. Since this is my opinion, I would strongly bet on an M240 based M-E version to become available fairly soon. It will help get more potential buyers that have been on the fence to buy into the system without having old users feel they are on the depreciation train as much as Sony users. Even though people are starting to feel the shorter depreciation cycles have caught up with Leica.

Hi,

I also bought a used M9-P from Stephens Leica (Manchester, January 2014). The camera was originally sold new in January 2012 so, like you,  I have a 2011 model. As soon as I processed my first set of shots I noticed that the sensor had a problem. This was before the CCD sensor issue became public knowledge & so, at the time, I suspected that the marks on my pictures were probably caused by a poor cleaning effort. Knowing what I do now, I'd bet my mortgage that the much discussed sensor glass/adhesion degradation was the real problem.  

In any event, Stephens' service was excellent. My camera was obviously sold to me with the problem & I was loaned an M9 while mine was being repaired. It was returned from Solms in 4 weeks having been serviced; rangefinder re-set and (more important) with the sensor replaced. Although Leicas are bloody expensive, they put my problem right without any fuss, and took responsibility for it. And, because of their more recent acknowledgement of the fault - and their commitment to replace (even replacement) sensors going forward - I feel confident that if the problem recurs, it will be fixed again at no charge.

I don't buy cameras to upgrade them every year and I don't want the new M. And so again, like you, I'm looking to use my m9-p for a few years yet - and for Leica to provide the 'insurance' that I will be able to. My experience with both Stephens & Leica has reassured me.

I hope you're still enjoying it;  I bloody love mine.

Regards,

Chris.         

Now 22k actuations and with a recently purchased monochrom friend, still loving it. 

• Like 1