Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course, don't buy a D2 if you want to do low light shooting. It has been well documented that it is utterly useless for that purpose:

L1000662_1_1.jpg

Or high contrast... The sensor is too small to handle that dynamic range.. .

(No-flare warning, those are natural "sundogs")

corv05057.jpg

:p:P Don't believe anything you read on the Internet...

• Like 2

I will add my weight to the "special" image that the D2/LC1 produces.

The 5Mpx 2/3rds sensor combined with that fabulous Vario-Summicron lens produces very distinctive images that can easily be printed to 16x12. It is a 4x3 format image.

The small downsides have already been mentioned, it is really a 100 ISO camera (but I am a 100 ISO photographer!) and the write speed from RAW is very, very slow. But, the good news is that you really do not need to use RAW with this camera. The Jpeg images on highest quality are superb; the camera's metering system is also excellent and I also tend to trust the auto white balance for most shots. If you know that you are in a difficult lighting situation, it is easy enough to adjust the white balance to suit.

You will love the images from your D2 and best of all, enjoy using the instinctive controls.

I have an R9/DMR but I would never part with my LC1, it is a joy to use.

@ Jaap - great photos - I could not agree more with what you say!

@ David - Yes, the jpegs are excellent and of course are faster to write to card and if you use manual focus you can get round the leisurely autofocus speed. The combination allows burst photography when needed.

I would add that one can use higher ISO when shooting B&W.

Currently I am getting to grips (or possibly not getting to grips) with an L1 which is definitely a beast of a different colour! The jury is still out on its retention!

I am in Amsterdam this weekend and I still have not decided which to take - D2 for certainity, L1 to experiment and risk poor shots.

I own both the D2 and L1.

The D2 is my travel and light-carry camera. I will never give it up. (Sold a LC1 for it!)

The L1 is my everyday camera, especially now that I am using manual focus Contax lenses with it.

Also own a 20D with a host of L lenses. Its nice...

-ddog

@ Jaap - great photos - I could not agree more with what you say!

@ David - Yes, the jpegs are excellent and of course are faster to write to card and if you use manual focus you can get round the leisurely autofocus speed. The combination allows burst photography when needed.

I would add that one can use higher ISO when shooting B&W.

Currently I am getting to grips (or possibly not getting to grips) with an L1 which is definitely a beast of a different colour! The jury is still out on its retention!

I am in Amsterdam this weekend and I still have not decided which to take - D2 for certainity, L1 to experiment and risk poor shots.

What are you going to shoot in my birth city?

I love the D2 ... I do all of my composing on the LCD screen ... but watch the performer with my naked eyes (not through the camera) and when I see the moment I take the shot....very close to no shutter lag that way, and I'm watching the band with both eyes. Darlene

Darlene, Welcome to the Forum. What great shots for the first post. I hope we'll be seeing more of your work. Are your shots on a website?

• Like 1

What about a nice smoke in one of the coffeeshops?:p Some even sell coffee as well;)

Strict non-smoker! :D But it's a nice thought thanks! As for what I will shoot - who knows? Whatever comes along - it's been 30-odd years since I was last there and there's some good new architecture as well as the old!!

Strict non-smoker! :D But it's a nice thought thanks! As for what I will shoot - who knows? Whatever comes along - it's been 30-odd years since I was last there and there's some good new architecture as well as the old!!

Me too - If you google :

niet roken restaurant amsterdam

You'll get a whole list of restaurants with non-smoking facilities.

It is a good idea to go for modern architecture. The broken-bicycle-with-ye-olde-quainte-canal-in-the-background type of shot is getting a bit long in the tooth. If you are into this kind of thing it might be worth your while to hop over to Rotterdam or den Haag.

Brian, from the brilliant images that you have posted, taken with your D2, if I was in your shoes I'd take the D2. Rather take the L1/D3 for trips locally in your area until you can do the same magic with it that you have been doing with your D2.

Andreas

Rather take the L1/D3 for trips locally in your area until you can do the same magic with it that you have been doing with your D2.

I agree. The more I use my L1, the more I appreciate my LC1. While the L1's images are "better" in almost every technical sense, they're still somehow not quite as satisfying as the LC1's images ... sort of like the difference between listening to LPs and CDs, if you understand what that implies.

Strange.

This is all great feedback, and there are some wonderful images in this thread.

Do those of you who shoot B&W with the D2 find that it is best accomplished by shooting in color and postprocessing to B&W, or do you get excellent results with the in-camera B&W?

Another question - does the Leica black leather case for the D2 provide some good protection?

Definitely in post

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I usually shoot colour and convert, but at the last London meeting I shot some direct in B&W at 400 ISO and was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Andreas & Jeffrey - thanks for your thoughts - the temptation to take the L1 is strong but you're right - for something like this go for what you know and trust.

Jaap - I'm only there for just 48 hours - so I'll be staying put in Amsterdam - any recommendations for good camera/photo equipment shops?

Foto-Nivo Schweitzer, Haarlemmerdijk 114.Not too far from the central station. Very professional and they have some nice Leica stuff from time to time. There are a couple more but I don't know from the top of my head. I'll post later.For 2nd hand stuff like mid-format and some nice bargain there is Foto Abro in Zaandam. Very close to the North, a photogenic small town

Guest Bernd Banken

Brian,

here some shots, the first 100 ASA 28mm equvlt.

Guest Bernd Banken

now with 200 ASA (by mistake ;-))