The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

M (240) Deliveries

• Please log in to reply
2315 replies to this topic

#1 rcerick

rcerick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • City / Ort:Northern California, USA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:31

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
It would be helpful to know where and when M (240) deliveries have been made to date - the countries, cities, dealers and dates Forum members have received their new Ms.
This information could allow us to decipher Leica's global and country delivery strategy, plan and execution.
Please reply if you so choose by listing the above information. Perhaps one of our tireless moderators can then collate the information into a PowerPoint or Excel file.
Best,
Rich

#2 Appmax

Appmax

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:36

Also curious about how many Leica M9s there are in existence today. That key help to clarify the upcoming delivery rate for the new M240/1. I am number two on my dealers list. Tough to figure out f it will be two weeks or two months (or longer!) until my unit arrives.
  • paules said thank you to this

#3 Salander

Salander

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:39

I've talked with various dealers in NYC and DC, and not one of them has any idea when the next shipment arrives. Could be tomorrow, could be 6 months from now. Could get 1 camera, or 10. No one really knows

#4 algrove

algrove

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:40

From my serial number, which I will not post, it looks like they have made at least 500-600.

#5 marknorton

marknorton

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 9,148 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:13

Serial numbers are a notoriously bad guide to production volumes. Chris Tribble's, which he includes in his images, is a long way from mine.
  • fotowombat said thank you to this
Mark

#6 Thorsten Overgaard

Thorsten Overgaard

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 2,459 posts
  • City / Ort:Aarhus

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:35

Yes, Steve Huff and my camera are 254035 numbers apart, so serial numbers will not be an indication (thought it would be nice if they had made 254,035 cameras in :-)

Leica take serial numbers in batches for different products. If one see the Erwin Putts nifty little Leia Pocket Guide that show serial numbers, one will realize that there can be a batch as low as one special made camera in-between everything else and that for example the Digilux 2 is spread over 4-5 batches of numbers with other stuff in between.
  • Delcredere and said thank you to this

#7 george +

george +

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • City / Ort:Toronto

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:51

My guess, and that is all it is, is that Leica have a shipping problem. They (may) have about 6,000 bodies on hand and are simply unable to initiate, pack and send this quantity to selected dealers in a short timeframe.

So, and this is a guess again, they may have decided to do all the paperwork first and do the shipping at once.

If this is true, and your guess is as good as mine - or better, then we should expect about 2,000 cameras in the US and Canada in the next few weeks.

I am holding my fingers crossed.

#8 mirekti

mirekti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 861 posts
  • City / Ort:Dallas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 19:51

I am holding my fingers crossed.

Everybody does. :-)

#9 PeterP

PeterP

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles

Posted 09 March 2013 - 20:13

Apparently someone here in LA thinks his camera is coming on Wed. Trying to sell it on craigslist for a mark up.
"Leica M Type 240 Black BNIB - $8000 (Los Angeles)"

#10 enboe

enboe

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:10

Apparently someone here in LA thinks his camera is coming on Wed. Trying to sell it on craigslist for a mark up.

The ad has been there since last weekend, along with another one for $7850. I'm being a good boy and waiting for my dealer to deliver. Have to support the local shops.

Eric

#11 mirekti

mirekti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:45

If wish nobody buys it from him :D
  • LeicaPassion said thank you to this

#12 marknorton

marknorton

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 9,148 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:58

My guess, and that is all it is, is that Leica have a shipping problem.

We could always start a run on silver cardboard futures...
  • Daniel Beacock and rafikiphoto said thank you to this
Mark

#13 PeterP

PeterP

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles

Posted 09 March 2013 - 23:49

If wish nobody buys it from him :D

I agree!

#14 mirekti

mirekti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:06

If this is true, and your guess is as good as mine - or better, then we should expect about 2,000 cameras in the US and Canada in the next few weeks.

And if all that was true, and all cameras were distributed equally it would mean 16 cameras per dealer. At least that was my calculation per Leica's store locator. There are 123 dealers in NA.

#15 rcerick

rcerick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • City / Ort:Northern California, USA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:49

I wasn't talking about serial numbers for the reasons Thorsten articulates - just when and where members' M (240) bodies have been delivered to date. I think we'd all be interested in deciphering the geographic patterns and quantities of deliveries so far. It could also help in estimating future distribution / deliveries to everyones' countries and dealers (as Leica my be playing logistical catch-up in some areas).

#16 Appmax

Appmax

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:47

I know that roughly 50 made it to the U.S. the last week of February. Anyone get one since then? Any recently?

#17 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 38,911 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:53

Read the forum. There are plenty of new owners around.
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

#18 enboe

enboe

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:19

I would offer a respectful counterpoint. Back when the M9 was released, soliciting and monitoring delivery updates allowed me to find my M9 that was not pre-sold only one month into the release. I currently am going the pre-order, wait-list route, but the original poster may be looking for hints on when to call around.

It's all very much like mushroom hunting season back home. Everyone asks everyone if they have found any yet, and once several positive responses are received, the stampede begins.

Happy hunting.

Eric

#19 trond

trond

Sponsoring Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:35

I know that roughly 50 made it to the U.S. the last week of February. Anyone get one since then? Any recently?

Hi Appmax,

I picked up a Chrome M at dealer FotoVideo in Oslo two days ago.

Dealer says they are slowly trickling in, and expects a couple of more by the end of the month.

Best regards

Trond

#20 Appmax

Appmax

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:03

Thanks. It is good to know some are being delivered - even if at a slow rate. Earlier, there were a rumors that the first fifty were all that would arrive until April. Good to know more are trickling in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic