M Photos with R Lenses (open for all)

algrove

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done, farnz. Did you use SFXP2 for B&W help? What was the f stop since it looks sharp as a whistle.

Thanks. Lou.

Yes I did as a base and then did a little further pp in PS5. I took it wide open at f/1.4 although the 2x APO extender effectively reduces the maximum aperture to f/2.8. The 80 Summilux-R is well-known for its retention of detail since it's a wonderful old Walter Mandler design.

Pete.

• Like 1

R 180/2.0 at 5.6, distance about 10 meters, M classic meter, EVF, WB daylight,focus with all focusing aids possible (10x)-focused on center tree.

I am buying a Summicron R 180mm f/2.0 for my M, and I have only seen this lens in photos. I am very excited because I already own a R 80-200mm Elmar and I enjoy it a lot, but from what I have read so far, no comparison to the Summicron R 180mm f/2.0.

I have a last minute worry about mounting such a large lens in a a compact camera like the M.

Would you have any advise? You would'nt happen to have, by any chance, a photo of such a mount?

I enjoyed your photo, it adds to my admiration of the R 180mm Summicron f/2.0.

Ney -

I suggest you post your question by starting a new thread in the M/ME/M9 Monochrom which is in the International Forum under Leica products. Virtually nobody who would have your answer will see your question where you have posted it at present.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
These are amazing, they look like they were shot on transparency film.

Apart from using an extraordinary camera and lens, how did you process them?

Did it on my Air 11" (too small for my eyes to do PP on) while sitting in the Leica Store after this workshop as they wanted to see some results. Not much done a little Grad filter use on sky, slight contrast increase. That's about it-love the M!

• Like 2

Thanks. Lou.

Yes I did as a base and then did a little further pp in PS5. I took it wide open at f/1.4 although the 2x APO extender effectively reduces the maximum aperture to f/2.8. The 80 Summilux-R is well-known for its retention of detail since it's a wonderful old Walter Mandler design.

Pete.

Well Pete, I'd better dust my 80/1.4 off and put on my ROM 2x and use this baby as a 160mm lens. Might sell all the 180's if I like that setup. If I make a ton, I owe you a Kir. Personally I like Cardinales.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

R 180/2.0 at 5.6, distance about 10 meters, M classic meter, EVF, WB daylight,focus with all focusing aids possible (10x)-focused on center tree.

I am buying a Summicron R 180mm f/2.0 for my M, and I have only seen this lens in photos. I am very excited because I already own a R 80-200mm Elmar and I enjoy it a lot, but from what I have read so far, no comparison to the Summicron R 180mm f/2.0.

I have a last minute worry about mounting such a large lens in a a compact camera like the M.

Would you have any advise? You would'nt happen to have, by any chance, a photo of such a mount?

It's a big lens, but the Novoflex LEM-LER adapter handles it beautifully. Take a look. A word of caution--on lenses this heavy always use the tripod mount on the lens NOT on the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I see they only made 1000 ROM 180/2's. Highly rare and very good lens. For me tripodable only.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 7

80/1.4 Summilux-R wide open with Leica M.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

It's a big lens, but the Novoflex LEM-LER adapter handles it beautifully. Take a look. A word of caution--on lenses this heavy always use the tripod mount on the lens NOT on the camera.

[ATTACH]395028[/ATTACH]

I see they only made 1000 ROM 180/2's. Highly rare and very good lens. For me tripodable only.

Thanks, algrove, for the photo of the summicron R 180mm mounted in Leica M! Superb!

I bought the lens and I am enjoying the two a lot.

I wonder if you would know of the existence of a circular polariser 100mm screw-in filter for this lens. It would be extremely useful for my landscape photos.

• 3 weeks later...

neytavora

Frankly I have not even looked for 100mm filters for this lens because of the filter drawer which takes series 6 filters. I know for a polarizer one needs a special filter drawer which Leica made very few of, but cannot remember the number of it.

Afraid a 100mm filter would cost 10% of the price of the lens.

Found the number of the CPL with drawer-#13340. Hard to find and not cheap when you do find them.

Edited by algrove

• 3 weeks later...

Show two pictures with the M and Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/35-70 Macro, will also post some pictures soon with the Vario-Elmar-R 1:3.5/35-70 (I bought from Thom, Jaap's brother :))

The B&W image is on the short end at 35mm on f/4

The Colour image is on the longer end 70mm and slightly into the macro position. f/4

Didn't use EVF but just live view, will get the Olympus VF2 tomorrow.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Thanks. Lou.

Pete.

Pete

I have the M75/1.4 and have limited use with my R 80/1.4. In the end I am debating about just keeping the coded 75 since I am led to believe the cell in either lens is basically the same.

If you also have experience with the 75, can you comment on any rendering differences between the two? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R f2.8 100mm on M (240)

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
Pete

I have the M75/1.4 and have limited use with my R 80/1.4. In the end I am debating about just keeping the coded 75 since I am led to believe the cell in either lens is basically the same.

If you also have experience with the 75, can you comment on any rendering differences between the two? Thanks.

Sorry. Lou. I missed your post at the time.

I had a first version 75 Summilux for a while but I didn't get on with it on the M8 (100 mm equivalent focal length owing to crop factor) and I later also found that the Summilux was front focussing by an inch or two wide open so my pictures lacked the pop I was looking for and I moved the lens on. The rendering of the 80 Summilux has started me wondering about using a 75 Summilux and being able to do without the clumsy EVF.:o

Pete.

Another from the 80/1.4 Summilux-R.

Paterson the ring designer (these are his personal every day rings).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am certain the R Summicron APO 180mm is a great lens,..however I doubt it is suitable for handheld due to its bulk and weight.

I am using the R Elmarit APO 180mm, great handheld lens at one f-stop less.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...