Sean Reid's M240 review raises a question

thompsonkirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is a lens producing company - why wouldn't it produce such lenses?

I'm sure Leica will want to use the new M to leverage new lens sales but Leica have always been keen on promoting backwards compatibility of the M system and I'd imagine they will be sensitive about shutting out owners of older models. The new M will also represent a pretty small share of the M market for some time to come. My own gut feeling is that there will be one or two lenses made that are geared towards the new M but probably not until Photokina 2014 (they will need some new kit to announce then). By then, we'll probably see the first hints of a move towards AF.:rolleyes::mad:

Not sure about AF, without mirror less.

I also don't think the backwards compatibility argument sticks. All M prime lenses between 18 & 135 will remain compatible. This is something else. Leica has written a new future for itself, whether planned or by accident. They're unlikely to leave such a market sector to their competitors - particularly as the M series is so important to them.

The thing is that these lenses - zoom, tele photos, ultra wides, macros and shifts - have pretty much all been made before. The biggest difference now is that they need no rangefinder coupling, no aperture coupling and no ROM. This should bring down the cost considerably on optics they already have the designs for.

It makes no sense for them not to.

Do you think the EVF thing makes the M a decent platform for focussing the 180 APO (presume this is the F2 lens)? Just curious because it strikes me as a poor alternative to the pretty glorious R8/9 finder view.

I quite agree on that, but it is the only FF Leica option we have for R lenses currently. Time will tell whether it is viable. I wish I owned that lens :rolleyes:

Or go Leitax.

• Like 1

Hi there Kirk. I can really see where you're coming from here. I'm also considering an all 'corn setup and suddenly it's possible.

There's all the other advantages of the M as well

All the best

An all 'corn setup???? Aww shucks!

couldn't resist ;)