Testing the M(240)

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You wrote: "I’ve written something like 20 lines on Image Quality - I wonder how many thousands of lines will appear on the internet over the next few weeks!"

Does this mean the shippment is around the corner? ;)

What's that saying...? A picture is worth a thousand 'lines'?

• Like 1

It must have been really interesting to have been consulted on the development of the camera and involved at least part of the way.

Would never happen to me, too strident on this forum and too much of a loose cannon (he said, showing un uncharacteristic level of self-awareness...)

• Like 3

It must have been really interesting to have been consulted on the development of the camera and involved at least part of the way.

Would never happen to me, too strident on this forum and too much of a loose cannon (he said, showing un uncharacteristic level of self-awareness...)

That's why we luvs'ya!

Thanks for the great write up and lovely shots Jono. Leica are lucky to have you, Ming and Sean as their beta-testers...

• Like 4

Hi Mark

I'm thinking of setting up a degree course in being a smarmy git :)

Hi Jono,

Nice write up and pics. One question: start up lag - what was your experience with that? For me that was the #1 things that needed to be improved from the M9 and now reading it's gotten even worse! Hopefully it's being worked on and that's (one of) the reason(s) for delay.

Hi Charles

Yes, it's too slow still, but I don't have the latest update, and I know they were working very hard on it.

On the other hand, I've taken to switching off sleep and just leaving the camera turned on all the time. That way there's no lag!:D (and the battery life makes it feasible)

Seriously, I'm sure it'll be fixed.

All the best

That's why we luvs'ya!

Thanks for the great write up and lovely shots Jono. Leica are lucky to have you, Ming and Sean as their beta-testers...

Hi Tim, I thought you were probably lurking out there. I'll look forward to your impressions when you get yours (can't imagine you're not going to...)

HI There

I've just finished reading Ming Thein and Sean Reid's excellent reports. . .

FWIW, here's my piece -

Enjoy (at least, I hope you do).

Splendid pre release review & superb images, excellent appetiser, your and Chris's efforts here also, Dr Rohde's and Ming's are greatly appreciated.

I have several questions regarding utilisation of R & other legacy lenses, providing NDA allows it:-

Q1) To utilise Leica endorsed R lenses (list of 20) is new dedicated adaptor mandatory or only convenience, i.e. can you select desired lens via menu only and use any old R-M adaptor. I am aware of new adaptor bringing 28/90mm framelines but this doesn't stop me on M9 to select any listed lens irrespective of lens attached.

Q2) Did you try non listed R or other lenses presumably selecting OFF as lens selection.

Q3) Can you comment on sensor performance with any older lens 21mm or wider.

Thanks for the kind words

If I'm breaking my NDA I guess you'll start the fund to help me pay up :D

Good Questions all

I have several questions regarding utilisation of R & other legacy lenses, providing NDA allows it:-

Q1) To utilise Leica endorsed R lenses (list of 20) is new dedicated adaptor mandatory or only convenience, i.e. can you select desired lens via menu only and use any old R-M adaptor. I am aware of new adaptor bringing 28/90mm framelines but this doesn't stop me on M9 to select any listed lens irrespective of lens attached.

It's certainly not mandatory - and you don't actually need to bring up the 28/90 frame lines - unless you want to code it (in which case you certainly do).

However, Coding is really worthwhile, as it gives you access to the R lens menu - clearly a good thing.

On the other hand, the Leica R adapter is a really nice piece of kit - with a tripod mount etc. Worth the pennies in my opinion.

Q2) Did you try non listed R or other lenses presumably selecting OFF as lens selection.

Oh Yes - Generally I used a coded adapter and then picked the nearest R lens to get something into the focal length field.

I tried some nice little OM telephotos (200mm f4 was nice), and I'm planning trying some others as well. . . . . They do show how good the R lenses really are though.

Q3) Can you comment on sensor performance with any older lens 21mm or wider.

Yes indeed. However, the lens corrections were not implemented properly in any of the firmware versions I've used . . . . Having said that, I've tried some interesting experiments, like setting the manual coding to 135mm and then shooting all day with a 24 'lux. This would have caused catastrophe with the M9 - but I didn't even notice until I saw 135 in the exif information!

My current conclusion is that this is really not going to be an issue with anything but very extreme wide angles - and that even then there shouldn't be any colour shift. . . . . . to sum up:

It's not finished yet but it's already really good!

Hope this helps.

all the best

• Like 2

Jono,

Just to clarify on my question - can you bring in R menu without dedicated R-M adaptor?

If NDA is violated will help with legal, your disclosure is worth it.

It's certainly not mandatory - and you don't actually need to bring up the 28/90 frame lines - unless you want to code it (in which case you certainly do).

However, Coding is really worthwhile, as it gives you access to the R lens menu - clearly a good thing.

Edited by mmradman

Can you bring in R menu without dedicated R-M adaptor?

No, you cannot.

There is no way to manually access the R lens menu. A coded adapter is utterly required. The adapter's code must be 55-1 ... i. e. 110111 and 28/90 frameline pair.

• Like 2

Jono,

Just to clarify on my question - can you bring in R menu without dedicated R-M adaptor?

Only if you code the third party adapter with the R adapter code - which also requires the 28/90 frame lines - it's a simple code though - I've had success with a felt pen.

If NDA is violated will help with legal, your disclosure is worth it.

:):D

• Like 1

No, you cannot.

There is no way to manually access the R lens menu. A coded adapter is utterly required. The adapter's code must be 55-1 ... i. e. 110111 and 28/90 frameline pair.

Exactly - but it doesn't need to be the Leica adapter (or even an M to R adapter, you can do it with a third party M to OM adapter for instance - and you are right about the frameline pair needing to be 28/90

Jono

Thank you again.

You have been immensely helpful and informative yet again, and also incredibly responsive to questions. It is hugely appreciated.

Thank you Peter

It's been a busy day - I've also been running our helpdesk singlehanded.

this is fun though - it was nice to be able to post my selection of pictures, and it's nice to be able to answer questions straightforwardly after all this time.

all the best

• Like 1

No, you cannot.

Exactly - but it doesn't need to be the Leica adapter (or even an M to R adapter, you can do it with a third party M to OM adapter for instance - and you are right about the frameline pair needing to be 28/90

That sucks, my R-M adapter brings 50/75mm framelines, and many others I think.

6 bit coding pits are easy to do but modification to M flange to allow 28/90 framelines instead of 50/75mm is not possible only 35/135mm - please tell me i am wrong.