Sensor Cracks

Stealth3kpl

Did they make any adjustment to the design to stop it happening

I don't think so (at least "they" being Leica) – my slightly less than one year old M9P cracked recently:mad:. As Mark states, this is not relevant to the new M which uses an entirely new sensor.

• Like 1

Wait... I thought the glass sensor cover is what has been cracking on the M's, not the actual sensor itself. :confused:

When talking about ‘the sensor’ one usually refers to the whole unit, i.e. not just the silicon chip, but also the Bayer filters, microlenses, the cover glass etc..

Whether (as we may presume) Truesense Imaging, Inc. in the US has learned to avoid the cracking has no bearing on the new sensor that was designed by CMOSIS in Belgium and is manufactured by STMicroelectronics in France.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
The new sensor is entirely different, designed by a different company and also made by a third party. It may have problems all its own but just because Kodak (as was) had the problem, there's no reason to believe the new sensor will have the same.

What about the Leica Monochrom, it does use a sensor similar to the one in the M9 doesn't it? If speculating, could sensor cracking issues arise with the Monochrom as well?

I'm growing a bit interested in the Monochrom, but would hate to end up in a situation where the sensor cracks +2 years from now, and no replacement sensor being available.

Best,

Richard

Yes, it's a similar sensor which goes through the same manufacturing processes so the same changes which were made to stop the M9 sensor failing will apply to the Monochrom as well.

Thanks, Mark.

I tried searching both the forum and in general for information on changes that might have been made to the process - but have not found any. Can you point to a source for this, or is this something only a few knows of?

I don't know anything about the construction of these sensors, but I can believe it would be possible to maybe introduce a slightly thicker cover glass on the MM, since it has no bayer filter?

Truesense seems to have removed the M9 sensor (and the MM) from their product line, so I think it would be a fair guess that any cracking issue with the MM CCD, would become disasterous, unless Leica chose to stack up with loads sensors "just in case" (probably not). So either you're right and they have eliminated the problem, or they chose to take the risk and hope for the best.

unless Leica chose to stack up with loads sensors "just in case" (probably not).

Leica certainly haven't chosen to stack up with loads of sensors because they have currently run out of the M9 ones. I think we can safely assume that Truesense are still making the sensors or Leica would have a very serious problem indeed.