Ablon or copy

markrune

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At yesterdays meet in Ipswich Susie had an Ablon (type) template for her Leica IIIf and it was made preparing film to load a whole lot easier. I always have issues loading my Leica III (even if I try cutting a long leader with scissors first). Does anyone know of anyone who make a cheapish copy of tis. I have searched the web but everything seems to be about £70+ , I might try making one out of card, but if anyone knows of an alternative I would be most grateful :)

I am the proud owner of such a thing, although I have yet to use it. It has written "PRINZ" on one side and "Korea" on the other one. I have succeeded in finding several references to it with Google using the search terms prinz korea leica film cutting template.

I am the proud owner of such a thing, although I have yet to use it. It has written "PRINZ" on one side and "Korea" on the other one. I have succeeded in finding several references to it with Google using the search terms prinz korea leica film cutting template.

Yes the only place I can find one of those seems to be in USA and once postage is added it comes close to £50.00, so still a bit pricey, but thanks.

Mark

I have a Leica II and considered an ABLON or some similar third-party solution. However, I realised it is unnecessary (at least on my camera) to trim the leader. And that there's a fairly fool-proof (referring to myself, here) way to load the camera -- to use a credit card size parking card, the kind one gets in parking houses (also other kinds work, provided they are not too thick). Here's what I do:

1. I push the card vertically into the camera. Since it is not too thick it will fit in the narrow slot where the film runs and leave room for the film in the next step.

2. Then I push the film into the camera (leader attached to spool, naturally) placing it between the card and the back of the camera.

3. On my camera it is necessary to gently wiggle the canister and the spool to make them fall into place.

4. Remove the card.

So far this has never failed for me.

I have a Leica II and considered an ABLON or some similar third-party solution. However, I realised it is unnecessary (at least on my camera) to trim the leader. And that there's a fairly fool-proof (referring to myself, here) way to load the camera -- to use a credit card size parking card, the kind one gets in parking houses (also other kinds work, provided they are not too thick). Here's what I do:

1. I push the card vertically into the camera. Since it is not too thick it will fit in the narrow slot where the film runs and leave room for the film in the next step.

2. Then I push the film into the camera (leader attached to spool, naturally) placing it between the card and the back of the camera.

3. On my camera it is necessary to gently wiggle the canister and the spool to make them fall into place.

4. Remove the card.

So far this has never failed for me.

I have tried this in the past but my Leica III seems very tight so whilst it has worked on some occasions on others it has not gone in properly and caused problems. If I cut with scissors it works you just have to be careful not to cut through part of the top sprocket or it seems to catch, and that is very fiddly.

But thanks for suggestion

• Like 1

Film up until sometime in the late 70's or early 80's all had long leaders. The ABLON was made for people using bulk film.

Honestly, it's really easy to trim the leader by hand with small scissors. It takes a little practice but just don't cut through a sprocket hole and make the leader long enough to run from the canister to the reel the other end of the camera - you don't need to worry about getting a nice curve or straight line.

I seem to remember there was a thread not too long ago (last year? I couldn't find it when searching now) with a template posted which one could use to make one's own ABLON copy of some suitable material. It couldn't be that difficult, methinks. Has anyone tried?

Cheers

Philip

It doesn't need to be exact in shape, but the leader simply has to be long enough to reach from one end to the other, wide enough not to break, and cut away enough to avoid the top of the film gate and the sprocket gearing inside the camera. It is getting snagged on the film gate that causes as many loading problems as engaging the sprockets.

Steve

People always say "Don't cut through a sprocket hole".

That's not exactly right: it's perfectly OK if your cut goes through a sprocket hole provided you round it off smoothly like this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and don't leave a sharp corner or forward-pointing tag. I find this easier than cutting carefully between the holes.

(NB: the photo doesn't show the whole length of the leader.)

People always say "Don't cut through a sprocket hole".

That's not exactly right: it's perfectly OK if your cut goes through a sprocket hole provided you round it off smoothly like this

[ATTACH]360425[/ATTACH]

and don't leave a sharp corner or forward-pointing tag. I find this easier than cutting carefully between the holes.

(NB: the photo doesn't show the whole length of the leader.)

That might just be the tip I need - I will give it a go :)

Thanks

Mark

• 4 years later...

I have been running allot of film through my UR-Leica Replica (another thread) and that combined with 'generational trauma' , a residual from the depression, has led me to reuse the leader from prior developed films and splice it onto the the film loaded into the cassette. It is a real "Waste not want not" so I use scotch tape to splice an old leader onto the recently bulk loaded cassette. I have found that one must be careful to line up the used leader with the sprocket holes on the 35mm film and put the tape on both sides of the splice. This seems to work quite well and saves a few inches or unexposed film. I am sure others have done this but are not willing to admit it!