Hairs Breath from the M-E

slippyphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally, I really don't need or even want the added complexity of the M240. It just goes against the whole M zeitgeist.

Although I'm with you on the "goes against the whole M zeitgeist" bit, it will expand the M into the DSLR market and will allow many folks who already have a phalanx of "M" mount lenses to unload whatever brand DSLR they have and concentrate on a single camera system for all their needs. It will give all of the "R" system owners the ability to continue using their investment in glass, and it will probably also bring some new folks into the fold who wouldn't have otherwise considered the marque.

The M doesn't offer me much either right now, but that's not to say there isn't going to be an explosively large market for it especially once folks see what it can really do. I'm glad to see Leica continuing the traditional M series with the M-E and yet expanding the feature set into the mainstream market with the M.

Although I'm with you on the "goes against the whole M zeitgeist" bit, . . . I'm glad to see Leica continuing the traditional M series with the M-E and yet expanding the feature set into the mainstream market with the M.

Yes, definitely agree with you. I'm glad Leica appears to be back in the game and that there's a manufacturer still producing for this market.

Did the OP get his M-E in then end? Did he buckle?

No! Alas Pragmatist - I am not as pragmatic as you! :)

I'm am paying a huuuge tax bill end of Jan, then i'll re-asses. The imminent DNG releases from Leica are also playing a factor - not that i'm on any waiting list, so i shouldn't imagine getting hold of one until the end of the next tax year!! But i keep coming back to some of its features that the M9/E never had - the usability in the studio shooting tethered for one; the increased buffer & processing power another; video with M-glass on there too i admit.

Then again, none of those things were issues when i had my M9-P, so the longer i procrastinate, the less shots to be proud of i shoot personally, and for me my M was a tool for personal work, rarely professional. That was left up to the Japanese Computers!! The thought of shooting more jobs on an M is the major factor!

If you are interested, i'll keep you posted. But still, i'm envious of your M-E! Enjoy.

• 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No! Alas Pragmatist - I am not as pragmatic as you! :)

I'm am paying a huuuge tax bill end of Jan, then i'll re-asses. The imminent DNG releases from Leica are also playing a factor - not that i'm on any waiting list, so i shouldn't imagine getting hold of one until the end of the next tax year!! But i keep coming back to some of its features that the M9/E never had - the usability in the studio shooting tethered for one; the increased buffer & processing power another; video with M-glass on there too i admit.

Then again, none of those things were issues when i had my M9-P, so the longer i procrastinate, the less shots to be proud of i shoot personally, and for me my M was a tool for personal work, rarely professional. That was left up to the Japanese Computers!! The thought of shooting more jobs on an M is the major factor!

If you are interested, i'll keep you posted. But still, i'm envious of your M-E! Enjoy.

Being very impressed by your work I would love to hear if you still shoot Leica for personal work. Did you end up with the M240 or the M-E?

Can you let me know if you still prefer C1 Pro over LR? If so, why?

The M9/M-E is a great camera if you don't need higher ISO and don't shoot lots of frames in relatively quick succession. I bought an MM recently, and the buffer jams up fairly regularly, which is a massive pain and unheard of nowadays, but so be it. If you're a low-ISO RF shooter, go for it.

- N.

I've been shooting an M Monochrom for about two years and finally decided to ditch my DSLR kit (Nikon Df plus glass) and go all-Leica.  I'd already ditched the Nikon zoom lenses and bought an X Vario last year and have since added an X (type 113) to form my non-photo vacation kit.  So now with the Nikons all gone, I ordered a brand-new M-E yesterday and should have it Friday afternoon.

So  its the MM and M-E for serious photography and the X Vario and X for family travel.  Only one set of interchangeable lenses and only two sets of batteries and chargers.  The best part is that instead of worrying about which lens to bring or swapping lenses out, with the X kit its either 28-70 during the day or 35 only at night or indoors, and with the M kit its either 35mm or 50mm and thats it.  The more I limit myself, the better my images.