Hairs Breath from the M-E

slippyphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a hairs breath from buying the M-E. I've had an M9 in the passed. I moved away from Leica when i needed to generate funds. Desperate to come back! Bored of waiting for the next doomed reports of the M.

This is just a survey (because there seems little else to discuss unless your an MM owner), Of those in the market for a new M body, is it the M-E, or the what you know or expect of the M that is winning you over???

I'm a hairs breath from buying the M-E. I've had an M9 in the passed. I moved away from Leica when i needed to generate funds. Desperate to come back! Bored of waiting for the next doomed reports of the M.

This is just a survey (because there seems little else to discuss unless your an MM owner), Of those in the market for a new M body, is it the M-E, or the what you know or expect of the M that is winning you over???

My decision was based on 2 factors. I already know how well the M9 performs and secondly the wait for an M could well be a long one. Also I don't really need video so thought the £600 saved could go towards some more glass. Go on get the M-E, you know you want to.

Matt

• Like 1

I just bought an M9P. I came really close to picking up the M-E for actually a few dollars less, but I suspect that the M9P will remain an "in demand" camera for many years to come. I just don't need most of the features that the M is purported to offer. Cost was a larger factor for me.

I just bought an M9P. I came really close to picking up the M-E for actually a few dollars less, but I suspect that the M9P will remain an "in demand" camera for many years to come. I just don't need most of the features that the M is purported to offer. Cost was a larger factor for me.

Very nice and that sapphire glass sure is sweet. Enjoy your M9P

Matt :)

i went with m-e mostly for the cheaper price. but i do remember the first time i read up on the M and thinking 'i really don't want this camera. it has too many features and not as simple as the m9'. then i read a bit more and found the m-e was also released. so i went with the m-e. no regrets. at iso below 1600, i would honestly say the photos are nicer than my nikon d600.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A nice shiny chrome one please!

The M-E is a wonderful tool, and quite capable of meeting most photographic needs for a very long time. I have no reason to trash-talk it.

I am waiting for the M because it will open up new creative opportunities. How many videos do you know of that have been shot at f/1.0?

Whatever you choose, have fun.

Eric

I am waiting for the M because it will open up new creative opportunities. How many videos do you know of that have been shot at f/1.0?

I know Eric! One of the things I keep referring back to, since I shoot lots of vids for clients + the ability to tethered shoot!! Then again, I have Nikons to do this rather efficiently (although without those f1.0's you mention), so the idea of an M/M-E, was not necessarily to replace a system that will probably trump the new M long into the future... it was to bring back the parts of my portfolio that were only achieved using this unique tool. I am questioning the need of the extra features at all (although grand on paper), when the M9/E served its purpose to me so flawlessly!!

I guess ive just answered my own question... Fun times!

http://www.simonlipman.co.uk

• Like 1

That's what I'm afraid we'll be inundated with — videos by Nocti-bores at f/0.95. They're not going to be like the cinematography of Barry Lyndon that I believe was shot at something like an f/1 lens.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai

Lanka Footsteps [series shot with M-Monochrom]

That' a chilling thought. I'm going to have nightmares now. <grin>

Edited by hepcat
punctuation... grrrr....

The only reason I'll buy another camera in this category is if it helps me make better photos than the M9.

I can't yet know that about the M.

I'm afraid, my photos will not get "better" from buying a "better" camera than the M9, but maybe one has to define " better" first.

What's a better camera, what's a better photo?

I'm afraid, my photos will not get "better" from buying a "better" camera than the M9, but maybe one has to define " better" first.

What's a better camera, what's a better photo?

Well of course: my capabilities fall far short of the camera's as it is, let alone a "better" camera! And no camera will make me a better photographer.

But whatever the reason , my favourite (best?) photos tend to come from my M9. So I suppose by "better " I just mean something that I find more appealing, in the way that I find M9 files more appealing than Nikon D700 files, for example.

But my point was that the thing that matters to me is what the photos look like, not what new secondary features the camera has. Sorry for using the word "better".

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

I love my ME. I came to it from two years worth of shooting with an M8 and a CV35 f/1.4. The ME, though not quite as distinctive in its BW rendering, produces great images. I have also found that the noise, even at 2500, is perfectly acceptable in BW.

At first, I really disliked the color scheme but decided to buy one anyway as I couldn't find a suitable M9 at a similar price. I didn't like the gray and didn't like the silver dials. Once I fitted it with a silver thumbs-up, though, the whole thing just fell into place. I started looking at the camera on its own terms rather than as an off color M9. Now, I really like it. Think it looks understated but stylish.

Personally, I really don't need or even want the added complexity of the M240. It just goes against the whole M zeitgeist.

• Like 4

Alas the deletion of the USB connector on the M-E has a consequence. You may want to hunt for a new M9 or M9-P, which might be found around the same price:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/217887-tethered-m9-aperture3-imac-yes.html

some people use it, some dont. I've never seen a good reason to use it. 1 more cable to carry around. same thing with the frameline preview lever.

rarely good to have, most of the time unused/useless...

Just bought a new M9-P. Like you, I used to have an M9 and sold it to generate funds for the S2. But I missed the portability of the M9 and the character of some of the Lux lenses, so I decided to jump back in and I am enjoying it. I may or may not buy the M, who knows - will see when it becomes available and there are some early user reports. For now, my S2 and M9 will more than cover my needs and desires.