Favourite medium format?......

Nick De Marco

I suppose my favorites would be the two I currently own: a Rolleiflex 3.5E, and a Rollei 6008i kit. I also had a Hasselblad outfit at one time. It too was a very fine camera system, but I preferred the Rollei, so I let it go.

I have lusted after a folder such as the Fuji, but I use medium format so rarely these days, that I can't justify it. In fact, I'm tempted to let the 6008 go . . . but because it would garner so little, I don't.

Brent

Maybe I am the dinosaur here, but I used the Rollei HY6 system, which I find amazing,

It can still be serviced, but it had a short lived existence.

Works with both 120 film formats, and digital.

Switching backs takes just a simple click.

The digital back also rotates horizontal/vertical in one second.

Lots of lenses available.

What more could I want ;-0)

(Next to my 2 M4's for course)

Theo

One of my favorites.

I use the 6cm X 12cm roll film back.

35mm Grandagon lens. Veeeery wide!

horseman_sw.jpg

What is funny about the picture is that the viewfinder frame is crooked - an easy mistake to make when inserting it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of my favorites.

I use the 6cm X 12cm roll film back.

35mm Grandagon lens. Veeeery wide!

http://www.digoliardi.net/horseman_sw.jpg

What is funny about the picture is that the viewfinder frame is crooked - an easy mistake to make when inserting it.

I used to always dream about having one of these: Linhof Technorama 617

I have three Horseman roll film backs for my Wista SP45 metal folder. 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12. I collected them over the years (used and fairly cheap) but now I rarely use them. The advantages are film costs (over sheet film) and also being able to use emulsions that aren't available in 4x5 sheets. Otherwise they are kind of heavy, require efforts with cropping/composing on the ground glass, and of course change the field of view of the 4x5 lenses. Despite the film costs, it seems easier just to crop the final 4x5 image (and marking the ground glass with tape) than using roll backs on a 4x5.

I used to always dream about having one of these: Linhof Technorama 617

I have three Horseman roll film backs for my Wista SP45 metal folder. 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12. I collected them over the years (used and fairly cheap) but now I rarely use them. The advantages are film costs (over sheet film) and also being able to use emulsions that aren't available in 4x5 sheets. Otherwise they are kind of heavy, require efforts with cropping/composing on the ground glass, and of course change the field of view of the 4x5 lenses. Despite the film costs, it seems easier just to crop the final 4x5 image (and marking the ground glass with tape) than using roll backs on a 4x5.

An accomplished associate has used wide-angle 120/220 formats for decades. You might enjoy the work of Stuart Klipper. Stuart is still very active in his seventies today, alive and well. He started with a Veriwide, I think, in his twenties. The man has amazing stamina and a consistent, undiminished goal.

His resume is a list of all possible grants available.

...and he is a true gentleman.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

From the point of view of aesthetics (rather than which camera I prefer), I find a square format is enormously appealing.

One of the (many) reasons for my love affair with the Hasselblad. Sooo many motifs, if looked at aesthetically, rather than from a 'format' POV are naturally square, or even circular ;) but I won't go there.

• Like 1

......... Despite the film costs, it seems easier just to crop the final 4x5 image (and marking the ground glass with tape) than using roll backs on a 4x5.

That may depend on the type of 5x4 camera and lens being used. When I use a Cambo Wide 470XL to shoot 2:1 wide angle panoramic, I prefer a 6x12 rf back rather than crop from 5x4. It is easier composing and focusing the SA 47XL with the optical vf and helicoid than it is a field or view camera when extreme wide angle focus is difficult and movements aren't needed.

Nobody mentioned the Yashicamat 124G? I have a soft spot for it but usually take the Rolleiflex 2.8gx withe me.

I prefer to think of combinations of camera with lens.

My 2003fcw works brilliantly with the 80mm f2.8 but i love the 503cx with the 120mm macro for really tight head and shoulder shots. My Bronica is usually paired with a 50mm. The RB67 is just too big and loud.

Apparently many are not familiar with the Super Ikonta (a German rangefinder) which is the best technology of medium format of its time. Rangefinder, 120 format of 6x45, 6x6 and real 6x9cm. One example necessarily diminished for web presentation.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Nobody mentioned the Yashicamat 124G? (...)

I should have done it with another vote for square format - as has been mentioned, lots of motifs work out very well in square, and those, which don't, can be cropped in either way keeping still lots of film area available.

Stefan

Disadvantage of a Yashica Mat 124-G (I had two in the last 20 years):

Transport mechanism not so good.

Ground screen is not very bright. When you are getting older it is going to be a problem.

For the rest a good and simple TLR. The lens is OK when you have a Yashinon on it (F/3,5-80mm).

Old type battery (PX625 Mercury) in the light meter.

There were some advantages with the 124-G:

It took B30 filters and lenshoods which were commonly available during it's lifespan and there were two supplementary lens attachments, wide angle and short telephoto, which worked surprisingly well. Above all, it was relatively light and robust. I sometimes used one for landscape photography for those times when I didn't want to haul a much heavier camera system on the hill.

It was capable of producing sharp, detailed negatives with good contrast.