in a moment of desire

taosantamonica

I have bought a lots of gear from Adorama over the years but never had this problem. They are pretty good of listing/notifying if items are back ordered. They would charge the credit once the order is ready for shipping.

My Leica M (240) order was placed there. I get email updates informing me the item is still backordered and will be shipped once they have it.

I have bought lots of used gear from them as well.

I've had it happen before. They're great when they have the stuff in stock, but sometimes (with filters frequently for me) do this.

I ordered anyway. A case of “It is a habit of mankind to entrust to careless hope what they long for, and to use sovereign reason to thrust aside what they do not fancy.”

A well respected Netherland's based dealer has a brand new Monochrom on E-bay for $9000 (£5581) "buy it now" or best offer with free world wide postage, and a 4% discount for payment by bank transfer. First one I have seen at any sort of discounted price.

Dale Photographic in the UK has also listed the MM as in stock for the last couple of weeks. I have had no problems with these guys sending Leica gear from the UK to Australia.

I think Dale are actually in the US not the UK. (unless David has moved!).

I quite agree that they're great to deal with though - as are RG Lewis.

Great news for both of you. You will be very happy with the MM. I kept thinking I could do without the M9, but I have found that about 10% of the time I come across a shot that just needs color. I love everything that comes out of my M9 now, because I only use it when I feel like I really need it.

• Like 1

Thanks, Wolfgang.

Do you like the image quality or the mental process? Or is it just that there's something different about it? My plan at least is to use it a night and split with my M9 at daytime. Sort of how I'd split color and black and white film, but I enjoy black and white more, I just find it doesn't work well for me to be shooting in color and converting later. The mental thing is all off.

-jbl

I thinks it's both. The image quality from a properly exposed MM shot is stunning. My mind is very process oriented and ever since I started shooting digital it has been hard for me to think in B&W. I have never liked converting from color to B&W either. I always carried two camera bodies when I shot film and used color or B&W depending on the shot. I have found that I shoot the mm all day and night and the use the m9 during the good light hours. That way the colors are so vibrant on the M9 that I don't want to even consider converting the image.

Thanks, Wolfgang.

Do you like the image quality or the mental process? Or is it just that there's something different about it? My plan at least is to use it a night and split with my M9 at daytime. Sort of how I'd split color and black and white film, but I enjoy black and white more, I just find it doesn't work well for me to be shooting in color and converting later. The mental thing is all off.

-jbl

Cool as well. Can I ask what city the dealer resided, I am in Austin...:)

Houston and it should be in the post tomorrow :) The person i talked to said it had just come in,

Dale Photographic in the UK has also listed the MM as in stock for the last couple of weeks. I have had no problems with these guys sending Leica gear from the UK to Australia.

Their price for the monochrom with no vat but shipping was a couple hundred more than one with shipping in the U.S. but their price on a new 35 summilux asph with shipping was about 5% less than just the list price in the U.S. so I ordered that. Very prompt email exchange and I got an email this morning with a tracking number saying the lens will be here on Thursday. Thank you for directing me to them!!

Mine just came. I didn't bother using the leather strap that came with it as I had an extra Luigi strap attached to a IIIf that's not doing much.

I took three photos, just of my coffee table. Wow. The tonality is impressive. Not to mention, even in the shadows, ISO 320 is really clean.

-jbl