LR4 Newbie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI! My new M Monochrom is forcing me to abandon Aperture 3 for LR4. First impression of LR: I don't like the darkness of the hard-to-read tool-screen. ALSO, I DON'T SEE HOW TO DELETE PHOTOS I DON'T WANT TO KEEP. AND WHEN I TYPE F FOR FULL SCREEN, LR4 ONLY MAKES THE PHOTO A LITTLE LARGER RATHER THAN EXPANDING IT TO COVER THE ENTIRE SCREEN. I welcome any assistance in regard to those 2 items/

In the meantime, I am exploring LR4's general operability. Any other important general facts I should know to ease my initiation into LR4?

Edited by kcnarf
additional comments

ALSO, I DON'T SEE HOW TO DELETE PHOTOS I DON'T WANT TO KEEP.

In library-mode select the photo and push the delete button (upper right of your keyboard). LR asks you to delete the picture completely or just from the library.

Right-click on the photo and select "Delete" from the lower end of the popup menu does the same.

AND WHEN I TYPE F FOR FULL SCREEN, LR4 ONLY MAKES THE PHOTO A LITTLE LARGER RATHER THAN EXPANDING IT TO COVER THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

Shift-CMD-F is what you are looking for.

Mike

Edited by Royal_Corona

I suggest you get either the Scott Kelby or Martin Evening book for a reference tool on using LR4. In addition to answering basic questions, there are tons of tips that you might not think to ask about.

I'm not generally a big fan of video tutorials, but these by Julieanne Kost (and others by her) are quite easy to follow.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now, within LR4, I am trying to access Silver Efex Pro 2, but don't see any LR4 menu labeled Photo(s)? Where is it?

Things are certainly not self-evident in LR4, unlike in Aperture.

When in the Develop menu go to upper left corner of screen and click on PHOTO and then "EDIT IN" and then your choice. Good luck, it's awesome software.

Things are certainly not self-evident in LR4, unlike in Aperture.

Yup LR4 is a complete mess.

The user interface is a awful and stuff is hidden all over the place.

With Aperture everything is very intuitive and customisable.

I have no complaints about the results or the (over)comprehensiveness of the range of tools available.

The user manual helpfully tells you what everything does .... but not why, or what the results are.....

The guys who wrote this have their brains wired up differently to mine.....