M Monochrom & Filters

Bill W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find yellow and orange filters work well.  I've had terrible results with medium to deep red filters even with the APO Summicron Asph.  There's a substantial focus shift that's hard to nail when shooting wide open.  

Theoretically, if you focus wide open using live-view, the focus shift using red filters shouldn't be a problem; if focusing using live-view is accurate and provided you don't introduce further focus shift when you stop down.

It is clear, though, that focusing on near(ish) subjects using the optical view finder and a red filter will result in significant focussing issues.  Not so sure the same applies with objects at or near infinity - e.g. clouds and skies.  I haven't found Olaf's post on this, but I think that is the end result.

I have the original Monochrom (and won't be upgrading); this means that I use the red filter infrequently and I do focus bracket - it's a hopeless combination for close objects shot wide open.  I use a yellow filter mostly.

I find yellow and orange filters work well.  I've had terrible results with medium to deep red filters even with the APO Summicron Asph.  There's a substantial focus shift that's hard to nail when shooting wide open.  

That is surprising! It's certainly not the lens, it's correction most likely holds into the Infrared. I need to try an experiment with the Full-Spectrum camera and the Pentax 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromat (calcium Fluorite) to see if the filters shift the focus. Filters built into and behind the lens- I can understand if they are built to a different thickness. But in front- it would have to have some sort of Diopter factor?

Edited by Lenshacker
  • Like 1