M Monochrom & Filters

Bill W

Just checking..............

Those of you that have been following my previous threads about this and that with the MM, you will know that I have ordered a bunch of B+W Yellow/Orange filters in various sizes. I hear that the Yellow/Orange filter will produce about -1 stop when attached to the MM. In previous threads I learnt that I need to not shoot ETTR so dial in say -1 to -1.5.................So my question is if the filter gives me say -1 and I want -1.5 then dial in -.0.5 in camera, is that correct?

At the end of the day I will be checking the histogram and aiming for the; dare I say it "the perfect exposure" without clipping highlights

B+W 022 yellow = 1 stop

B+W 040 orange = 2 stops

You do not need to change your exposure compensation when adding a filter.  The camera determines exposure through the lens so it compensates for the filter.  

BTW, in my experience about -0.7 or -0.3 is sufficient in most cases.  However, much more may be needed if bright sky is in the frame and you don't want that blown.  As with any camera, it's different from every other camera.  The initial learning process requires a certain amount of trial and error.

-K

I did an experiment the other day to see the effect of filters on skin tones.  Filters used are all B+W, 022 Yellow, 040 Orange, 090 Light Red, 092 Red.  Light Red and Red create a significant, unpleasing, plastic appearance, similar to over doing noise reduction.  Attached pictures are: no filter, yellow, orange, light red, red.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want a worse effect - try a green filter... ;)

What you did is effectively remove all blood from her face, which will reduce veins etc. Fine for zombies and the occasional alcoholic, but less so to preserve structure in light Caucasian skin.

Use green and turn her into an instant weatherbeaten crone by enhancing all blemishes and veins.

In this case I think the yellow filter struck the right balance.

Is it worth waiting for the Leica coloured filters to be available or just go with B+W?

Not if you want to use them this year. B+W are excellent as are Heliopan. For the latter, just pop to Teamwork (near the Post Office Tower) – they stock a very wide range of Heliopan filters in various sizes.

Not if you want to use them this year. B+W are excellent as are Heliopan. For the latter, just pop to Teamwork (near the Post Office Tower) – they stock a very wide range of Heliopan filters in various sizes.

Heliopan E39 & E46 filters in yellow, orange & red, arrived from Teamwork today. :)

I did an experiment the other day to see the effect of filters on skin tones. Filters used are all B+W, 022 Yellow, 040 Orange, 090 Light Red, 092 Red. Light Red and Red create a significant, unpleasing, plastic appearance, similar to over doing noise reduction. Attached pictures are: no filter, yellow, orange, light red, red.

I think I mostly see the effect of under exposure. Looking at the portraits my guess is that the sky was overcast. The filters do not do much without the sun doing its job.

Do not trust your meter for compensating. Sometimes you want more compensation, sometimes less. Shooting dunes with a yellow filter needs no compensation f.i. See Ansel Adams book on exposure.

I think I mostly see the effect of under exposure. Looking at the portraits my guess is that the sky was overcast. The filters do not do much without the sun doing its job.

Do not trust your meter for compensating. Sometimes you want more compensation, sometimes less. Shooting dunes with a yellow filter needs no compensation f.i. See Ansel Adams book on exposure.

It was overcast, but I don't think they're under exposed, certainly not to the point where it would affect skin texture.  I didn't use the meter, I manually adjusted so that her face was exposed properly without paying attention to the rest of the frame.  I adjusted the shutter between each shot (and upped the ISO on the last) to compensate for the increasing filter factor; the shots ended up similarly exposed.

-K

It looks to me like there is some focus shift visible with the red filters. The cheeks seem soft coma red to the ear lobes, am I correct, or does it just look like it in the small compressed JPEG?

This was a 50 cron type 5 at f/5.6 from about 8 feet hand held.  I did refocus each time as I had to step away, change filters then step back so focus won't be identical.  But looking at the hair on the left and the fabric on the right it seems well focused.  All shots were ISO 320 except for that one, which was 640 which could also make a difference.  This wasn't really a scientific shoot, (my daughter has limited patience ;-)  I was mainly interested in showing the smoothing of the skin in the progression, which seems pretty obvious even if I did make some mistakes.  

I definitely agree with the B+W filter recommendations here, over the Leica versions.  Reasons are not only for the optical quality, MRC and Nano coatings (with the exception of the non-coated IR 093 filter), but for construction.

With the exception of the thinner version of the B+W Circular Polarizer, virtually all B+W filters have brass rings.  All the Leica filters I own have had aluminum rings.  I recently had a pretty crazy thing happen to me.  I had a silver color Leica UV/IR cut filter on a lens, mounted on my M8.2.  Due to the weight of my 50 Summilux, the filter was touching the bottom of the hotel safe.  The safe was mounted on top of the hotel room's refrigerator and was actually warm but not hot.  The weight of the lens actually caused the filter to bend slightly, and I only noticed it as my lens cap no longer fit correctly.  Needless to say, over the years I've been replacing all my Leica filters with B+W versions with brass rings!

It was overcast, but I don't think they're under exposed, certainly not to the point where it would affect skin texture. I didn't use the meter, I manually adjusted so that her face was exposed properly without paying attention to the rest of the frame. I adjusted the shutter between each shot (and upped the ISO on the last) to compensate for the increasing filter factor; the shots ended up similarly exposed.

-K

Well there is definitely something strange happening in your pix because the red filter should have bleached the skin tones and not make them darker.

Not if you expose for the face on each shot. In that case the background should get darker - and it does.

I am sorry but no.... A red filter lets 'reds' pass. Faces contain a lot of red. Therefore the face should have been lighter when exposed correctly with the right amount of compensation.