Leica M and LEE filter system

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I presently use the LEE filter system for DSLR work and now that the M is coming with live view, I would want to use the filters for the M as well.

Other than buying the LEE RF75 system which is not a small expense the negatives are 1) only 1 filter at a time can be used and 2) not all adapter rings are readily available.

Would there be issues with using the regular LEE filters using step up rings such as the 39->49, 46->49 with the wide angle 49mm LEE adapter ring? That way, I could use the Big Stopper and ND gradients using Leica lenses which I feel would be better then the Nikkor primes I am now using. LEE also makes a 55 adapter that I could use the 90 AA Cron with.

Expect numerous responses now telling you that you really mustn't use filters on a Leica!!

The only issue would be vignetting, and possibly blocking the viewfinder, but as you are stepping up I doubt that will be a problem, and I guess you will use the live view to see the effects. Try it and see.

Would there be issues with using the regular LEE filters using step up rings such as the 39->49, 46->49 with the wide angle 49mm LEE adapter ring?.

Whilst I don't see this being a practical problem, I'd be just a little wary about potentially excessively loading a small lens with a small E39 filter thread with the weight of a very large filter holder and filter, simply because leverage will magnify forces....

i'd imagine you wouldn't be able to practically rangefinder focus with the larger filter system attached..? you could however, hold the larger filters over the front of wider m-lenses without your fingers getting in the way but you can do that on the current m9.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did I read somewhere that they reformulated the graduation transition zone to be more rapid i.e. more effective over the smaller surface area of RF lenses.

I don't /think/ that would matter - while the front elements are often quite small, the angle of view is still the same... unless the filter is closer to the nodal point of the lens somehow, but I don't think that's possible...

Also, I'd expect/hope with the new M that grads aren't necessary, the exposure range on the M9 is generally good enough, and I'd be surprised if it's gone down.

Cameras like the Nikon D800 have incredible exposure range, you can easily boost shadows by 4 stops and still have good quality.

- Steve

Did I read somewhere that they reformulated the graduation transition zone to be more rapid i.e. more effective over the smaller surface area of RF lenses.

Yes, the RF75 series ND graduated filters both hard and soft have a more abrupt transition than their larger cousins. Said by the manufacturer to be so because the filters mount closer to the lens front element than the larger SLR ones. I use the RF75 system on the M9 and Mamiya 7II.

The OP said you can only use one filter at a time with the RF75 holder. In fact there are two sets of slots so you can use two stacked filters. Also, I believe you can buy additional slotted mounting bars and screw sets if you wish to stack more than two filters.

Bob.

I used to use a Lee system on my DSLR and have thought often of getting one for my M9. I am still happy to bracket for the odd time I need it, it is less fiddle and more controllable than a filter system on a rangefinder.

I have presets for brackets of 3 and 5 frames.

The OP said you can only use one filter at a time with the RF75 holder. In fact there are two sets of slots so you can use two stacked filters. Also, I believe you can buy additional slotted mounting bars and screw sets if you wish to stack more than two filters.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, I didn't realize you could use 2 filters from the pictures on the LEE website.

Even so, I don't want to spend close to a thousand dollars for the RF75 kit and filters unless the results or safety of the lenses are in question.

On the getDPI forums, several of the moderators stated that they essentially use only live view for landscape photography which gave me the idea with the upcoming M. If I can get used to this on my DSLR, I think bringing the M on trips along with the LEE kit would allow me to save a lot of weight on my trips.

Thanks Bob, I didn't realize you could use 2 filters from the pictures on the LEE website.

Even so, I don't want to spend close to a thousand dollars for the RF75 kit and filters unless the results or safety of the lenses are in question.

On the getDPI forums, several of the moderators stated that they essentially use only live view for landscape photography which gave me the idea with the upcoming M. If I can get used to this on my DSLR, I think bringing the M on trips along with the LEE kit would allow me to save a lot of weight on my trips.

I'm currently using the RF75 kit. I find using the view finder with the RF75 tedious and time consuming. Especially when you need to adjust the Circular polarizer off the M9 before attaching it back to the RF75 etc.

I have pre-ordered my M 240 and I will definitely be using the live view for Landscape photography. With the new M240 I believe you can use the normal Lee Filter system with the step down adapters and Live View - forget about the view finder that will definitely be obstructed.

Check out my earlier threads.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/247347-d-lux5-better-than-m9-landscape.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/237571-m9-lee-rf75-filters-results.html

Edited by Fang
  • Like 1

I'm currently using the RF75 kit. I find using the view finder with the RF75 tedious and time consuming. Especially when you need to adjust the Circular polarizer off the M9 before attaching it back to the RF75 etc.

One quick trick with polarizers is : with the camera on A; spin the polarizer for minimum shutter speed.

• Like 3

I have the RF75. Love it. Am very excited about using it with the new M and Live View, should be much easier / more enjoyable.

It's considerably smaller than the DSLR system. Part of the reason I go M at any point is due to that. I pack a CP, holder, .9ND .9GND and .6GND and it all fits in the small front pocket of my F2, really light and compact. Cable release, spirit level and table tripod in the other front pocket, 35 & 75 cron with the M9 and the whole "do anything kit" still weighs considerably less than my 5DII with a 35L & 85L.

So yeah, my opinion, worth the cost to keep it down in size and weight.

@FrozenInTime - you're a genius! Paper clip like brilliance. Thank you!

I have the RF75 set as well. Polarizer, ND, Grads, and converter rings for the various lens sizes. It is definitely cumbersome in use but I attribute that more to my lack of practice as to any deficiencies of the system per se.

I have the RF75. Love it. Am very excited about using it with the new M and Live View, should be much easier / more enjoyable.

It's considerably smaller than the DSLR system. Part of the reason I go M at any point is due to that. I pack a CP, holder, .9ND .9GND and .6GND and it all fits in the small front pocket of my F2, really light and compact. Cable release, spirit level and table tripod in the other front pocket, 35 & 75 cron with the M9 and the whole "do anything kit" still weighs considerably less than my 5DII with a 35L & 85L.

So yeah, my opinion, worth the cost to keep it down in size and weight.

@FrozenInTime - you're a genius! Paper clip like brilliance. Thank you!

@Dwbell - how do you protect the filters when in the bag?

@Dwbell - how do you protect the filters when in the bag?

My set came with a fold out three filter soft wallet. Each filter was in paper too but I've got rid of that as it's too much hassle in the field. The CP I left in the paper and is loose in the front pocket. The holder itself I keep it in it's little draw string bag, mainly to protect the CP next to it from plastic/metal scratching in transit.

It is a bit of a hassle, all filters are though, on all systems. That's par for the course. Basically I do most things "off" camera. M on tripod, adapter ring screwed into lens (adapter rings are just loose in the front pocket, they don't need protecting much) then I'm working with the holder, the CP (twisting) and the grads with my eyes initially, you get a feel for it visually. Focus the camera, compose, click it in with the quick release and fire off a test shot.

Also you get to learn which marking on the holder puts the grad where on the image. I have a correlation in my mind of the holder markings to the buttons on the left of the screen, it works out one to one. So you review the image on the screen, see where the horizon falls, counts the buttons (and text actually) and put the grad to end on that mark in the holder. This all goes away with the new M! =)

It's practice, like anything.

I used my M9 and RF75 only this morning. You can certainly use 2 filters + the polarising filter. It is a bit fiddly, but then so are individual filters on a dslr. It is odd, but with a bit of practice you sort of "see through" the filter mount and focusing becomes easier, especially when you turn it around a bit. Not cheap, but good stuff - less than a grand for pol + 3 grads + 1 solid. No matter what the latitude of the camera or the ability of LR4, it always helps to have been able to do a bit of light levelling on the camera.

Cheers

adrianw

• 3 years later...

Can anyone with experience with the Lee filter system share thoughts about the Seven5 vs 100 system for (primarily) M-lenses? I am particularly interested in learning about the somewhat limited vertical shifting of grad filters on Seven5.

(moved to M-lenses)

Edited by helged