MS Optical Sonnetar MC f1.1 V Noctilux V1 f1

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ask and thou shalt receive:

1st one is the Noctilux (the last f/1.0 version, not the f/0.95) @ f/1.2

Then the Sonnetar @ f/1.1

And finally the Nokton, also @ f/1.1

Focus was on the green stem of the middle orange.

All lenses coded as a Noctilux.

No other adjustments made other than WB and standard LR sharpening.

Apologies for the boring kitchen subject.

I received the Sonnetar only a couple of weeks ago. Jaap is spot on: the lens is rather difficult to focus, more so than the Noctilux or the Nokton.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Crops, same order:

Noctilux

Sonnetar

Nokton

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks :) Those shots are interesting. For one thing it shows how good the Nokton is for the price. The fine detail is the Noctilux is clearly superior; the Sonnetar even manages to censor the navel on one of the oranges :D.

I would say: best quality: Noctilux, best value for money: Nokton, winner on size and weight: Sonnetar.

Bokeh, well maybe even the Nokton in #1 on this shot with the harsh oof of the Sonnetar confirmed. Hard to judge on just one image.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

well whilst I readily agree the bokeh is no match for much existing lenses- I am not quite as critical as everyone else seems to be-I kind of like this lens for what it is- not what it isn't. And I find this lens easy to focus and well calibrated.

Out of interest: would any kind of filter or hood soften or diffuse the outline of the out of focus 'rings'?

Edited by jaques
  • Like 8

jaques,

So far, I kind of like it as well for what it is.

I also own the 28 and 35 Perars, so I did not expect it to be the most ergonomic design, nor to provide the best IQ compared to other very fast lenses.

It's fun and challenging to use, and that may be enough to keep it, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think a filter would have an effect on the oof areas, and I always put a hood on my lenses, including this one.

What I haven't experimented with yet, however, is the coma adjustment ring at the back of the lens - I have so far left it in its standard position (small "red dot" aligned with marker). This may have a larger impact on the oof circles.

• Like 1

Robert,

On a pure value-for-money basis, the Nokton is hard to beat in this group.

A few caveats, however:

- You need to get sure you get a good copy.

- The bokeh is sometimes harsher than the sample I posted here (eg, strongly backlit foliage), although nearly not as harsh as the Sonnetar's.

- The printed images from the Noctilux f/1 are in a league of their own.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the awesome photo comparison between the two lenses Jaques and Ecar!

Personally, I think the MS optical 50 1.1 is a great little lens and it is definitely very unique. The rendering may not be everyone's cup of tea but it certainly reminds of the Canon "dream" lens or dreamy qualities of the classic noctilux f1. However, if you stop this lens down to f1.4, it is more than usable and certainly gets beyond acceptable sharpness for everyone to use.

I have wrote my thoughts about this lens here:

MS Optical 50mm f1.1 Sonnetar for Leica M — JERRY BEI GALLERY

• Like 2

I have been interested in one of these unique lenses, if only because I love the original Koetsu cartridges

Any suggestions how you go about ordering ?

:D

I'm sure there are other sources, but I got my Perars from either:

japan exposures | a personal introduction to Japanese photography

or

Japan Camera Hunter | Camera sales and photography talk.

Both Dirk and Bellamy are very responsive and pleasant to deal with.

• Like 1

the Sonnetar has to have some of the most chaotic, disrupting bokeh i've ever seen. Instead of putting things in the background, the strength of the bokeh is almost distracting from the areas in focus. Not digging it at all.

thanks for the comparison! nice to see a direct one...

I have to agree, for me, the bokeh is very unpleasing. It feels like the OOF areas are pushing towards my view rather than subtly pushing the In focus areas into a more dimensional feel.

While I agree, that the bokeh is wild with many images shown with the lens wide open, how is it in the areas, where Sonnar lenses REALLY shine from f2.8 - f4 ?

Looking at the super speed lenses (f.95 - f1.1) from the 50's, none of the lenses shows a strength in pleasant, unobtrusive and smooth bokeh many people seem to expect from these radical optical designs.

Keep in mind that these lenses were first and foremost designed for one purpose only: light gathering on what is considered today is barely fast film emulsions.

I would be really interested how this lens draws @ f2.8 - f4 in close up portraits with distracting backgrounds and how does it compare here to known heavyweights as the 50 Summilux ASPH and the CZJ Sonnar 50/1.5, which are known for perfectly smooth background drawing, albeit with radically different optical designs.

Also, how does this lens sharpen up around f5.6 - f8? Can it be used in a pinch for really detailed shots corner to corner (unlike the pre ASPH Summilux, which never gets really sharp into the corners)?

How is distortion stopping down (a real weakness of the original Carl Zeiss design, showing a wild pincushion distortion all the way into small apertures)?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did buy the Sonnetar. I am amazed at how small and light it is.

For those that have it, is it normal that the focus changes when you adjust the aperture?

thanks.

Edi: I just saw in a review that this is a "feature" :(

Edited by Sandokan

Yes - rather annoying, I know. It's one of the quirks of these lenses (the Perars behave similarly, although the 35 is better than the 28 in this respect).

Unless you have plenty of time, you must basically always select the aperture beforehand. Not ideal, but fast and effective for street and/or when lighting conditions don't change too much.

• Like 1