Leica Watches

smb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 8.5 and 3.5 are really boring. It refers to the model reference of the movement and in effect means nothing. It is engraved on the face and is not a measurement of anything.

really? to me the don't look like model references of the movement, more like hour markings: 12 on 12, 3.5 at 3 ½, 8.5 at 8 ½ - yes, they are useless bling, but not really meaning nothing.

• Like 1

One or two elegant elegant watches bear the leica insignia, though nothing can tempt me away from this: OMEGA Watches: Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series - Steel on steel - 311.33.42.50.01.001 Unfortunately, it costs the same as both 50 and 75 luxes combined, though I believe Omega watches do hold their value!

My favorite too. I have an original Omega moonwatch that still runs flawlessly.

Since my original post I have discovered (but only tentatively) that back in the late fifties and/or sixties Leica did authorize a company to produce watches with the name Leica. There were three models and three levels and not available to the general public. All had Valjoux movements. The cases were gold plated and were wind up movements, which were standard for the time. (Quartz did not become available until the early seventies.) I have seen a few images of them but they are quite rare. Also, the information is not verifiable or absolutely reliable as it is scanty at best. I was lucky enough to obtain one of these for a mere pittance. The workmanship is quite good. After a service (50 years) it runs perfectly and keeps excellent time much like the venerable M3.

Since my original post I have discovered (but only tentatively) that back in the late fifties and/or sixties Leica did authorize a company to produce watches with the name Leica. There were three models and three levels and not available to the general public. All had Valjoux movements. The cases were gold plated and were wind up movements, which were standard for the time. (Quartz did not become available until the early seventies.) I have seen a few images of them but they are quite rare. Also, the information is not verifiable or absolutely reliable as it is scanty at best. I was lucky enough to obtain one of these for a mere pittance. The workmanship is quite good. After a service (50 years) it runs perfectly and keeps excellent time much like the venerable M3.

Any chance you could post a photo of this rare watch?

Wilson

Well I am not going to be at the head of the queue for one of these rather odd and flashy looking watches, from a company with no history behind it (first started 2009 with sales starting 2012). Is there any Blackstone connection? Their watches currently sell for CHF 9500 ($10,750) upwards.

I might have been slightly interested if Leica had gone with someone like IWC for something very classic like I posted above.

Wilson

What an aweful design.

Bill. I agree. Never mind spending for camera simply because I am producing something for my self and others including family. A watch is just about showing off me. I love watches and design etc by $25000 is a firm preying on my insecurities. In my humble opinion

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In fact, Valbray EL1 Chrono watch for Leica (2014) with its diaphragm on the dial:

Valbray_Leica.jpg

is reminiscence of earlier wristwatch by De Grisogono "Occhio Ripetizione Minuti" from 2005/2006 with minute repeater complication (accoustic repetition of current time on demand). This watch is worth about 250.000 euro:

DG2005.jpg

I wish I could buy a Rolex lens. Anyone know of them?

Leica don't make watches. Rolex don't make lenses. Of course many of the fashion brand watches are just relatively inexpensive items churned out with various logo's on them.

I wish I could buy a matched set of a Leica bowling ball, bowling shoes and bowling shirt.  Maybe one of the Leica boutiques could initiate the process on that...

My favorite too. I have an original Omega moonwatch that still runs flawlessly.

..and if one chooses a Moonwatch with a hesalite cover like NASA did (hesalite is very difficult to shatter - tiny shards of glass weightless in a spacecraft not an appealing prospect - but quite easy to scratch) then, probably soon, one will have a 'Lenny Kravitz' watch..

• 1 year later...

Another Update:  On page 244 of Leica M by Gunter Osterloh there is a photograph of a Leica watch that was sold in the gift shop in the late 50s/ealy sixties.  Again these watches had a Valjoux movement, the same as Breitling, and were assembled by Wakmann.  The  one on page 244 is a Chronograph.  Most were simple with clean designs on a leather band by similar to the GP 1966 of that period.  I am adding this just in case anyone makes a further inquiry.