Leica Watches

smb

• 2 weeks later...

This one:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That Leica M6 style watch has some novelty value with the shutter speeds on the dial. This is something they might explore in a luxury watch, perhaps finished in black chrome like the Monochrom, or black paint like an MP that would wear away to reveal brassed edges. On a related note, I saw some watches recently in which the markings were in minutes, rather than hours.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

It does surprise me that Leica has not teamed up with one of the high end Swiss makers, who do “logo’d” watches, e.g. IWC or Chopard, to offer a series of Leica branded watches. I am sure they would sell reasonably, as long as they were done tastefully and not slathered with diamonds.

The profit margin on these watches is obscene. Most use standard ETA Valjoux or Sellita movements, where even the COSC (chronometer) grade ones cost a few hundred dollars. The case, even if something like rose gold, will only cost a few hundred dollars more but typically these watches are selling for $5,000+. Nice work if you can get it! A Swiss friend who before he retired was a director of one of the big name makers, said that the fancy french polished mahogany presentation box that their watches come in, actually cost them more than the movements or in some instances, the whole watch.

Wilson

It does surprise me that Leica has not teamed up with one of the high end Swiss makers, who do “logo’d” watches, e.g. IWC or Chopard, to offer a series of Leica branded watches. I am sure they would sell reasonably, as long as they were done tastefully and not slathered with diamonds.

The profit margin on these watches is obscene. Most use standard ETA Valjoux or Sellita movements, where even the COSC (chronometer) grade ones cost a few hundred dollars. The case, even if something like rose gold, will only cost a few hundred dollars more but typically these watches are selling for $5,000+. Nice work if you can get it! A Swiss friend who before he retired was a director of one of the big name makers, said that the fancy french polished mahogany presentation box that their watches come in, actually cost them more than the movements or in some instances, the whole watch.

Wilson

Interesting... I'm thinking the "M" of watches. Classic, robust and functional but very Spartan when compared to anything by the Japanese manufacturers.

Like a Russian divers watch but not as big.

very Spartan when compared to anything by the Japanese manufacturers.

I know what you mean about showy watches. I was given by my staff for a 50th birthday present, I am sure a very expensive but rather bling-y Japanese watch. It was one of Japan’s very few tries to enter the high end watch market with a brand called La Salle. I believe they purchased the brand name from General Motors, where it had been a sub-brand of Cadillac. It was owned by Seiko-Epson. They had not twigged that high end watches should not have quartz movements, even though this one had three separate motors and that just adding lots of dials and complications on a rather shiny looking watch, is not what many people are looking for. I think the La Salle brand sunk without trace and the watch sits in a drawer.

The IWC below is the sort of classic elegant watch I would be very happy to see with a Leica logo on it.

Wilson

Bill,

There was an earlier knife. I don’t know who made it, probably one of the many small companies at that time in Solingen. I have looked out for one for years but never seen one.

Wilson

Bill,

There was an earlier knife. I don’t know who made it, probably one of the many small companies at that time in Solingen. I have looked out for one for years but never seen one.

Wilson

Ebay has several Victorinox made Leica knives from the Leica goesystems group. The one you show here looks really old.

• Like 1

Well I am not going to be at the head of the queue for one of these rather odd and flashy looking watches, from a company with no history behind it (first started 2009 with sales starting 2012). Is there any Blackstone connection? Their watches currently sell for CHF 9500 ($10,750) upwards.

I might have been slightly interested if Leica had gone with someone like IWC for something very classic like I posted above.

Wilson

I'm attracted by the concept of the diaphragm opening to reveal the dial face beneath but the dial face and styling of the watch would look completely at home on a petrolhead's wrist. Owning one wouldn't interest me.

I haven't worked out the significance of the 8.5 and 3.5; I assume it's not 'ten to nine' and 'ten to four'.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

The 8.5 and 3.5 are really boring. It refers to the model reference of the movement and in effect means nothing. It is engraved on the face and is not a measurement of anything.

Wilson

• Like 1

Interesting... I'm thinking the "M" of watches. Classic, robust and functional but very Spartan when compared to anything by the Japanese manufacturers.

Like a Russian divers watch but not as big.

I always think that the Rolex Oyster is the M of watches. Available in relatively plain workaday guise or hideously blinged, just like some of the M limited editions.

But the fundamental, iconic shape, remains in both cases. The Porsche 911 is another example, and no doubt the Mont Blanc pen.

My parents bought me my first one 31 years ago and it is going strong, after a recent service by Rolex. I don't wear it much as it has huge sentimental value. Day to day I wear another Oyster DateJust which I bought used, serviced and mint.

Both are relatively plain stainless steel models, but like the M recognised by those who 'know'. For me there is no other watch.