40mm Summicron C: best kept secret?

iedei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also enjoy the little 40/2 on M8u

It is sharp and has wonderful Bokeh, It dosn't have as good a coating as the new lenses, I don't like to use it against the sun and at night it has highlights flaring also...

Here is a link to my recent repair/re gluing element and adding a better focus tap.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank all those who shared on this thread.

This week I received my near mint 1973 'cron-c 40mm, as recommended by this thread.

It'll be my 51st... (sincerely, I really didn't foresee living to this grand 'ol age either...) in a week's time; and I'm now taking snaps with 40 year old Leica glass on my M9 - Ahh, wonderful, warm, moist eyed, sentimentality...

Together with my thin tele-elmarit-m 90/2.8 - this humble 40mm lens has to be the ultimate 'Leica-lite' set - both lenses constitute 'daylight robbery, assault and battery' for those that know.

Heart warming... and the 40c is also a wonderful companion for the 'lux '35mm pre asph.

• Like 2

Two links of essential reading (not about the Summicron-C but about the 40 mm focal length in general):

The Online Photographer: Why 40mm?

The Online Photographer: Just Right: The Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SL II Aspherical in Canon EF Mount

In my experience, the Summicron-C 40 mm is a very nice, classic lens with exceptional performance—except at full aperture where it is not quite up to modern Leica Asph lenses. But then, many may appreciate exactly that.

My sample has not been tampered with (so far, only used on a Leica CL) so it still brings up the 50 mm framelines. Shooting it on an M9 with the 35 mm framelines manually selected, it's obvious that these framelines indeed match the actual field-of-view pretty accurately, just as wide-spread wisdom says. But I'm reluctant to "damage" a perfectly fine lens, just to make it bring up the 35 mm framelines ... and I found out that when not pressing the eye too hard into the camera's eye-piece then the viewfinder's field-of-view will fairly accurately correspond to the 35 mm frameline and hence, to the Summicron-C's field-of-view (the 28 mm framelines will come into view only when squeezing the eye right into the circular eye-piece frame). So no real need to file down the bayonet flange. My Summicron-C 40 mm will remain undamaged for the time being.

• Like 2

My Summicron-C 40 mm will remain undamaged for the time being.

Same for my Rokkor-C -- I use a patch of gaffer tape to keep the frameline selector in the 35mm position on my MP (shock horror ;)). And wait for my CLE to return :mad: (from re-repair). But even then the 40mm will be on the Leica more often now.

Alexander

Edited by xalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What a beautiful small lens it is! Today I've actually found the 2/40 Rokkor one. The dealer had 2 of them, one in a better state than the other. The older one has a more bluish coating, the newer a more yellowish one. I've got the newer one.

I will try different manual codings, in order to remove that little bit of vignetting it has.

How do you code it, friends?

Have done some research, and apparently most people code this lens as a 35mm pre-ASPH. For me it seems to work as well.

I'm really happy with the 40mm focal length. It matches very well with my way of seeing: often 35 is a bit too much, and 50 a bit too tight. And with the 28mm it makes a beautiful 2-lenses rig.

The Rokkor I own is very sharp right to the corners, even at f.2. And that at every distance, from infinity to 0.7 m.

Beautiful lens! So small, so cute, so well made!

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

The Summicron has a bigger red dot at least.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

pretty much identical to the Summicron.....except the Summicron LOOKS much nicer :p

both are phenomenal.

The Summicron has a bigger red dot at least.

Agree with both (I have both lenses), but the Rokkor is priced in line with the relative size of the red dot and is therefore a better bang for the buck.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

:)     Of the 100+ legacy lenses I have TESTED on m4/3 rds & Sony NEX & Sony FE e-mount, the finest lens , tested was the Leitz leica Summicron 40mm F:2 CL lens. Simply amazing; all the negative crap written about CL lenses is pure B.S.- maybe it was 1971 and the CL series rangefinder base lenses was a issue when used on a M-series longer base rangefinder? Longer lenses did not perform well, so the experts said. TODAY that all meaningless data. Mirrorless cameras have done away with slapping mirrors and badly collimated rangefinders. Lens to chip, thats all folks. Small, lightweight and superb optics, Leitz Summi 40/2 wins hands down. If you have a green chip, full framed,@ 40 meg' put a 85c filter on it to correct the blueish tint. Relax knowing that the days of Kodachrome l slide film is possible with a lens and a modern mirrorless camera. Relive the Bokeh! I couldn't  give the 40/2 cl summi enough love!

• Like 2

So many deserved postings for this little diamont, but no one did mention the C-Elmar 4/90 form CL times, I'm astonished.

This small and lightweight bargain ist surely worth to look at!

People thinking f 4.0 is not open wide enough should think about: it's better to have this with you than letting the heavy 1.4/75 or 2/90 at home.

Give it try, it's much more worth than it's cost!

Thomas