40mm Summicron C: best kept secret?

iedei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well i'm not sure how much of a secret it is....but considering how low prices still are I think it is a bit of an undiscovered gem! I picked up a 40mm Summicron C yesterday......and am frankly pretty amazed at how affordable and how great this lens is. I realise the history of it as a lens for the CL/Minolta compact rangefinder of the 70s.....but today, i am finding this to be one of the ultimate, low-cost solutions for the M series.....sharp, great colour, and feels quite special.

On my M8....this turns into almost the perfect 50mm (due to crop factor)....and it is very sharp, very nicely made (as nice as any Summicron i've held), and superbly compact.

Paid $500 for a NM/Mint one yesterday. That is about the going rate ($500 - $700). I'm guessing there are other 'fans' of this superbly underrated lens around?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I agree wholeheartedly... superb lens and one of the best value Leica deals going- by far.

My bargain tip: you can find a CL camera with a 40mm summicron c lens for as little as $650 from time to time. Which means the CL camera is about 150$- and that's got to be the best value Leica RF M camera deal out there as well...

Actually the CL is an awesome little camera- loaded with Adox beats the pants of MM for resolution and DR...:eek: Shoots in colour also! And makes a very good dedicated and capable rear lens cap for your Summicron C as well!:rolleyes:

Edited by jaques
  • Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly... superb lens and one of the best value Leica deals going- by far.

My bargain tip: you can find a CL camera with a 40mm summicron c lens for as little as $650 from time to time. Which means the CL camera is about 150$- and that's got to be the best value Leica RF M camera deal out there as well...

Actually the CL is an awesome little camera- loaded with Adox beats the pants of MM for resolution and DR...:eek: Shoots in colour also! And makes a very good dedicated and capable rear lens cap for your Summicron C as well!:rolleyes:

you are very right sir! I had found a CL and Summicron C "package" for $700.....but I didn't get it only because I am very bad at selling stuff when i get it....and i am a bit of a minimalist so i didn't want to have an extra camera lying around, especially if i don't think i'd use it. But for those who would use it, those CL/Summicron packages are definitely around and a hell of a deal.

I just went out shooting this morning and am really in love with the Cron-C. Will probably end up selling my Voigtlander 35 F1.4 Nokton i'd bought as an M8 'starter lens'.....

• Like 1

Very good lens indeed, close to the Summicron 35/2 v4 in an even smaller package. Only cons are its slopped focus cam (for Leica purists), its specific focus tab (for those who don't like it), its specific filter thread pitch, the difficulty to find out series 5.5 UV/IR filters (*), its fragile rubber hood and its propensity to flare although the latter is not worst than that of the 35/2 v4 to be honest. Also both 35mm and 50mm frame lines are inaccurate on the M8.2 (and probably the M-240) with this lens, contrary to the M8 and other rangefinders on which 35mm frame lines are almost perfect at long to medium distance.

(*) For some solutions, see UV/IR filters on Summicron-C 40/2.

It has been my only lens for nearly 5 years on the M8. If you search on here you will find a careful nail filing job on it ensures it brings up the 35mm framelines by default. As they are quite conservative, the framing is accurate.

A standard Leica filter fits the thread with careful twisting and no overtightening.

Enjoy,

Graeme

Edited by graeme_hutton
  • Like 1

nice to see so many others into this lens! i figured there would be in a forum of such experienced and knowledgable shooters.

i did get sun-flares this morning when i was shooting in front of the sun.....i do have one of the heavystar-type hoods that was given to me with the lens----so will definitely have to put that on during sunny days like today. Do you guys think the metal hood functions as good/better/worse than the original 'rubber' hood?

but overall, i REALLY enjoyed shooting with this today. A fantastic lens.

The 40 cron is the same as my 35 cron v4...

The best Leica have made IMO.

I have 2 and is my most used lens by far.....

Don't tell the guys who think the 35 asph cron is the king though or they will get buyers remorse over paying $3,000 more :-))))

Andy

Do you guys think the metal hood functions as good/better/worse than the original 'rubber' hood?

I doubt it makes a lot of difference but none of them will prevent flare if you shoot against the sun i'm afraid. The rubber hood takes less room and is more protective when it is folded with the hood cap on though as the latter is less easy to remove than that of the Heavystar.

For a serious review of the 40/2 on the M8, see Leica C Summicron 40mm f/2 (M) Lens Review.

• Like 3

It has been my only lens for nearly 5 years on the M8. If you search on here you will find a careful nail filing job on it ensures it brings up the 35mm framelines by default. As they are quite conservative, the framing is accurate...

Here is +++link+++ how to modify a 40 C-Cron that it will show up the 35 frame in the viewfinder, what you should do using it on a M8. If not it shows the 50 frame wich is not so helpfull.

...A standard Leica filter fits the thread with careful twisting and no overtightening.

Much better is to buy a adapter ring , so you change the front screw mount into E39. It is not very expensive and you can use the standart filters and the chinese metal hood

Caveat Modificator:

actually that link you provided is a bit miss-leading in a way (unintentionally) : i found it when I wanted to modify my lens- The pictures are not clear and the person ground off too much material and some in the wrong place. I did the same to my lens following on from their images. It would be good if someone did a better how-to with clearer images... showing the exact position and necessary amount of flange to be removed... I can't as my lens is incorrect like the one pictured. :rolleyes: it doesn't ruin anything- but rear lens caps don't stay on as well...

• Like 2

I am very sorry to read that.

You need to "shorten" that nose 1mm or even less. I did it very slowly and did several tests in between, to be sure not do to much.

In my case there is no difference between before and now from the clearness and the crispy sharpness at all. The thing with the rear caps might be right...

This picture is done with my M8 and the 40 C-Cron after the OP. (320ISO jpeg out of the camera by the way)

look here

• Like 1

You need to "shorten" that nose 1mm or even less. I did it very slowly and did several tests in between, to be sure not do to much.

In my case there is no difference between before and now from the clearness and the crispy sharpness at all. The thing with the rear caps might be right...

This picture is done with my M8 and the 40 C-Cron after the OP. (320ISO jpeg out of the camera by the way)

look here

Lovely portrait

• Like 1

Yes 40mm is in my opinion the perfect focal length as it has a view angle which closest to my vision- 35mm to wide and 50mm already more restricted. Also 40 mm forms a perfect combo with 28mm and a light tele (75 or 90). The last version from Minolta for the CLE is optically identical but has a better anti-reflex coating and is therefore more flare resistant.

Even as the optical quality is very good (except at f2.0) I wish to see an updated version. What about apo correction if there are not too big penalties in size and price.

Edited by 40mm f/2
  • Like 1

....Also 40 mm forms a perfect combo with 28mm and a light tele (75 or 90)...

That is exactly what lenses I use most.

The 28 Elmarit-M Asph, the 40 Summicron-C and the 75 Summilux-M is what I need for my Ms. I have been at the Leica-One-Challenge in Copenhagen just with a my M6 the 40;)

look here

What aperture did you shoot this at?

look here

A lovely portrait and a credit to a fine lens!

• Like 1