Replacing Vulcanite on Leica Bodies

planner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

If you need to replace damaged vulcanite on your camera body (or some old lenses) try cameraleather.com

They have a good range of leathers and synthetics and can do the job for you or sell you the material and show you how to remove the old vulcanite, yourself.

I found them very helpful.

Hello everyone,

If you need to replace damaged vulcanite on your camera body (or some old lenses) try cameraleather.com

They have a good range of leathers and synthetics and can do the job for you or sell you the material and show you how to remove the old vulcanite, yourself.

I found them very helpful.

interesting....I had read a few weeks ago after searching about them that they don't respond to orders very well and that they went out of business possibly. many angry customers have posted about not recieving their orders OR them taking months to get something.

so you ordered and actually received your order?

I used them about 3 years ago and they were fine. Sent me two choices and credited me when I returned the one I didn't use.

I bought a bag of pick 'n' mix and some 3 amp fuses from Woolworths about 8 years ago. I recommend the shop highly.;)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ordered twice from cameraleather and have been very satisfied both times. The latest was this past month, it was a large format camera order that took 5 weeks for delivery, but was worth the wait. I second the "be patient" advice and communicate clearly and succinctly. This was a custom order that turned out perfectly:

I downloaded your article because I have a well used ST V. Very good. I especially appreciate your comments regarding matched cams. It was also interesting to me that you used steel wool on aluminum because it is a practice that used to drive my professional sailor grandfather crazy, but his was a different application. :) I'll use it with less worry.

I could only find in my Linhof literature that the Technika cameras are made of a "light metal alloy" with an "aluminum chrome finish". It does respond well to polishing with extra fine steel wool.

To stay "on Topic" I would not hesitate to order a Leica leatherette kit from cameraleather.

They use reptile skins - and not from farms only. A no go for me.

I take it you mean that you would not use leather, as in an animal product, which is of course an opinion you are entitled to hold. What I am wondering, however, and I hate to be a pain, is what is the source of the information that Cameraleather.com would be using non-farmed leather?

There really are only two choices if you want to recover your camera yourself - CameraLeather in the US and Aki Asahi in Japan. Both have products of excellent quality - have dealt with both of them.

My last order from CameraLeather arrived a couple of weeks ago and took 1 week to fill. This was the case with all the orders I have ever placed with Morgan - recovered 2 of my M8's (Griptac), an M2, M3 and many Yashica and Contax SLR's with the 'peeling leather syndrome'.

I would place another order with Morgan without any hesitation. If anybody is uncomfortable dealing with him, there is always Aki Asahi.

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

l contacted Cameraleather regarding their Griptac cover for Leica m240 and they replied next day. After sending my order l  received the item after one week ( US - Sweden ) . Everything was in perfect condition.  After mounting it on my Leica l realised, that l should have done it LONG ago.  lt's so fantastic......the feeling......super grip........ even with bigger lenses ( summilux r 80mm ) And l never use the extra grip 14496 that l have. 

l'm sure l'll mount griptac on my next Leica too. 

All the best and happy shooting 

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used cameraleather before and they were slow. This company are very quick the leather cutting quality is excellent and they are cheap !  http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/M240/M240.php

My M9-P recently recovered in leather 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!