LEICA M + R Adapter: adequate solution?

LUF Admin

Is the LEICA M with R adapter and EVF the "adequate R solution"?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Is the LEICA M with R adapter and EVF the "adequate R solution"?

• Exactly what I've been waiting for!
    • Great solution, but I'll wait a while
    • Too expensive for me...
    • No good solution, I think

"Amazing", "outstanding".... all words, words, empty words

Why no one bother to upload pictures taken with R lens on M240 ????

The rules suggest to do that in the picture threads, AFAIK.

If you have something to post I would be interested in seeing it.

The LUF may be the best forum in the world but it is not the only one. There is a quite active group of R lens users with the M240 on Facebook. There is also an M240 group and a Noctilux group.

Wilson

I think there are quite a few in the Photoforums,

• 3 months later...

I bought M240 because I have both M & R lenses and I was informed that there will be an adapter R-M. Last year I got the Novoflex and recently the Leica R-M adapter; after using both for quite a while, I bought SONY A7S and in my opinion it is the best solution to use for R lenses.

Regards,

Didi

• 1 month later...

IMHO the best solution for R (and other brands of manual SLR lenses) is a full-frame EOS DSLR. The M240 (which I have) and Sony (which I also have, a Nex6, because the A7 doesn't play well with M lenses) have EVF's with the typical between-shot lag, which IMHO is not a "solution" to the R system, merely a way to keep those lenses from gathering dust.

• 6 months later...

Looks like there is no true and genuine solution for the R lens, we can only make the best use of these lenses that we possibly can.  I use my one remaining R lens on a DSLR, which means focusing wide open.   Too bad I can't use it on my Monochrom version I, and no I am not going to run out the door to get version II of the Monochrom.

Edited by wilfredo

• 2 months later...

A lot of us Leica R owners are a disappointed about the R10, but to be honest I am over it.

Personally this new Leica M has a lot of good features that I like.

Having both the M and R system it will anable me to use the one Digital body.

Leica has some time before it's release so perhaps we could forward some suggestions.

One....A suggestion by a couple of forum members is for an electronic cable release, perhaps this could be implemented in the hand grip, personally I like it on the shutter button.

Two...As I have never seen or viewed through an EVF so I cannot comment on it at this time.

But of some concern, will Leica install some form of a locking device to prevent it from accidentaly being

knocked off.

Ken.

I made this statement  a while back hoping that this would be a reasonable and adequate solution so I went out and put my money where my month is.

when it become available I bought the M240 plus M-R adapter as well as the EVF, like most I was excited to use my R lenses on a Leica body once again.

Over time it become an issue, several lock up's whenever I used the EVF with my beloved R lenses however not with the M lenses.

This started to bug me that such an expensive camera ( for me the most) could do this.

The metering was also an issue with it, simply I didn't like it, the worst was still to come, viewing through Leica R cameras for over 40 years the EVF was terrible (a joke) I did not find it comfortable to focus my R lenses and frankly I found the EVF cumbersome on the M240.

So I become disillusioned with M240, so there was only one adequate solution, get rid of it, and I did with no regrets.

If I need to use my R lenses digitally I will use them on a Canon DSLR a much much better solution then the Solms one.

As for my M lenses, I use them on the M7, if I need to use them Digitally I can use them on my Fuji X-T1.

I wouldn't be surprised il Leica was hoping that most of us R users would end up buying into the S system, well surprise surprise some time ago I was told that the S system was a dud and not selling to well, especially in Australia, I hoped that was true after all, I have never forgiven Leica.

Ken 

Edited by hamey

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Leica R-adaptor M today, and just tried it out with the only R lens I have the 280m APO-Telyt-R f/4.

I've never used this lens before either. I've taken two quick handheld shots. I like the quality feeling of the adaptor - as good if not better than anything else I've tried before, and I like the fact that there is an integrated but optional tripod foot with the adaptor. That's clever. 

I like the resolution and colours from the lens. I was a little surprised by the level of vignetting at f/4 - very distinct, almost f/1 Noctilux-like vignetting - but that's okay. I will stop down a little once I get to do some tripod tests.

I had been hoping Leica would produce an S lens around this focal length (say, 350mm APO-Telyt-S f/4), but recently having had a look at some compatible legacy medium format film systems, I realise those lenses are pretty huge, and even the relatively smaller MF Leica S sensor, at 30x45, the lens would be pretty big and heavy - perhaps double the weight of the 280mm-R.

So, there are always trade offs. The M might now give me some nice files from the 24MP sensor, the R adaptor, and this lens... on a tripod, or in good light (and fresh arms!), but more possibilities will be opened up with this lens with IBIS, and a super good EVF. So, Sony A7II or A7RII (at the present time), or, hopefully, a new body from Leica with those two features (and I can forget about Sony).

• 1 month later...

I had no R lenses but was using an M6 and a few legacy lenses for film.  The M240 offered an excellent digital solution.  I added the evf and R adapter and two Leica/Kyocera zooms for tripod use about a month ago.  I would clearly prefer a mirror and pentaprism, but I think this setup will work.  I was not in need of a digital R solution but that has given me a zoom solution for my M system.

Edited by Rodin Clark