LEICA M + R Adapter: adequate solution?

LUF Admin

Is the LEICA M with R adapter and EVF the "adequate R solution"?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Is the LEICA M with R adapter and EVF the "adequate R solution"?

• Exactly what I've been waiting for!
    • Great solution, but I'll wait a while
    • Too expensive for me...
    • No good solution, I think

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would not know how to vote in the poll because none of the choices fully reflects my feelings.

The solution seems reasonable and workable but not optimal yet.

The external EVF looks quite reasonable but it is still a far cry from the OVF in the R under adequate lighting conditions. For instance looking at the spotlights at the Photokina through an OVF on can still observe spots of gleam in the reflectors. With the Leica EVF the spotlights are shown as white ovals. I hasten to say that all EVF's seen at the Photokina show similar behaviour, so it is probably state of the art today.

Of course the EVF wins in dim lighting coditions.

The refresh rate has already been mentioned by others in this forum.

Another concern is the fully passive R adapter. With long teles it would be of advantage to focus at fully open diaphragm then switch to the working aperture before exposure. With the present adapter one has to take the camera from the eye at least once to get the proper setting.

I would suggest strongly to Leica to incorporate a sort of preset function, i.e have a lever or knob on the adapter that keeps the aperture fully open until actuated, and then let the aperture jump to the preset value on the optic. Even when manually actuated it would allow to keep the camera before the eye.

Regards,

Jaap Stil.

Yes, indeed, the real (and preferably) solution is something of a "S-r" body, a scale down S system for the R lenses. :) And must be with a real optical view, not the electronic view.

That would have been the R10 and that project got canned long ago. Leica had made it pretty clear that the ‘R solution’ wouldn’t be a new R or indeed any kind of SLR. If you are looking for an DSLR to use your R lenses on, you must look elsewhere.

That would have been the R10 and that project got canned long ago. Leica had made it pretty clear that the ‘R solution’ wouldn’t be a new R or indeed any kind of SLR. If you are looking for an DSLR to use your R lenses on, you must look elsewhere.

They are really foolish for not carrying this through. It could be done in cooperation with another firm.

• Like 1

I think they would have been foolish if they had. Anyway, this ship has sailed.

No, it was a grave mistake. Sales were healthy in the US, despite miserable marketing. Leica has always had poor marketing and advertising. There are many, many reasons for purchasing Leica products, reasons which Leica has hardly ever brought to the public's attention. The same was true for Kodak and Kodachrome. Kodak, to the best of my knowledge, never explained in a magazine ad about the difference between Kodachrome and Ektachrome. The ads were all fluff and noise.

Leica's ads were poorly thought out, and incredibly stodgy. (Stereotyping is unacceptable on the Forum. I have deleted it. Stuart Nordheimer).

Edited by stuny

What are you waiting for? The R10 project got cancelled more than three years ago. It won’t come.

Then I shall wait forever. Not because it's been cancelled means I have to accept that decision and settle for whatever half-arsed solution they will come up with.

• Like 1

Then I shall wait forever. Not because it's been cancelled means I have to accept that decision and settle for whatever half-arsed solution they will come up with.

A lot of us Leica R owners are a disappointed about the R10, but to be honest I am over it.

Personally this new Leica M has a lot of good features that I like.

Having both the M and R system it will anable me to use the one Digital body.

Leica has some time before it's release so perhaps we could forward some suggestions.

One....A suggestion by a couple of forum members is for an electronic cable release, perhaps this could be implemented in the hand grip, personally I like it on the shutter button.

Two...As I have never seen or viewed through an EVF so I cannot comment on it at this time.

But of some concern, will Leica install some form of a locking device to prevent it from accidentaly being

knocked off.

Ken.

While I see it as a workable solution that fulfills the letter of Leica's statements for R users, I don't think the EFV will satisfy me. I'll continue to use my R bodies with film while I look more at the new smaller FF SLR offerings from Japan. The D600 in particular looks interesting.

Leica has some time before it's release so perhaps we could forward some suggestions.

One....A suggestion by a couple of forum members is for an electronic cable release, perhaps this could be implemented in the hand grip, personally I like it on the shutter button.

Two...As I have never seen or viewed through an EVF so I cannot comment on it at this time.

But of some concern, will Leica install some form of a locking device to prevent it from accidentaly being

knocked off.

These seems like very constructive suggestions.

How will the x10 or peaking focus assist (even with the EVF) aid in taking 'capture the moment' photos? The moment will be gone while one fiddles with the focus assist. :(

This is a concern of mine too. Autofocus was supposed to answer this question and with each iteration of its development it has promised to hit closer to the target :rolleyes:

A system that is responsive to manual input is fine with me. I'll have to try the EVF for myself to see if it meets my needs.

A lot of us Leica R owners are a disappointed about the R10, but to be honest I am over it.

Personally this new Leica M has a lot of good features that I like.

Having both the M and R system it will anable me to use the one Digital body.

knocked off.

Ken.

!!!!!

krauklis

(Sorry for modifying the quotatioin)

Hello everyone, I would like to express my opinion on the last born in the house that is the new Leica M (10) and I would say that for me is nothing more than a new Leica rangefinder that the sensor has been changed, added to the Live View and the ability to shoot movies and .... nothing else. It is absolutely not the solution R as expected, though, with a lot of skill on the part of the press Leica, is spoken of as if it were. Leica has introduced a new accessory is an adapter ring with a more refined chip that allows the machine (rangefinder) to see a number of optical R-series, nothing more. This is not to despise a machine that surely carries in the news all respect, I simply do not buy. Rather spend a Canon camera body adapter ring, or better yet, in Phase One Medium Format. Are, however, fully satisfied with my Leica R equipment consists of R9 + DMR combo and a series of optical ranging from 19 mm to 280 mm APO/4.Non but I think most will invest my money in favor of a brand that for commercial reasons R has canceled a series that has made history in the photograph.

Thanks and sorry if I have dwelt too.

Edited by fabrispino
  • Like 1

Whilst I think the M does provide a solution for R users, the inherent flaws in the EVF will make it hard for some of us R users. I will be very happy to eat humble pie if I am wrong, but I do wonder how the EVF will work in comparison to an optical VF prism for low light and fast moving objects. It will be fine for macro and tripod work, I’m sure - but shooting motor sport or concerts may prove to be a rather different challenge.

Charlie

The EVF with focus peaking is focus confirmation anywhere in the picture area and avoids the inaccuracies and calibration issues much too common with phase-detect DSLR focus confirmation. And focus peaking works with any lens at any aperture.

I have to agree. Focus peaking on the Ricoh GXR I tried was pretty cool. Sometimes my Pentax K5 beeps as if the image is in focus, when it most certainly isn't. Took me a while when I first got the camera to learn not to trust the beep so much and rely on a magnifier instead.

In my view, it is not an adequate solution - putting R lenses on an M system is almost counter-natural. If I want an M camera, I'll use it with matching M lenses. The R lenses demand a camera on at least the same level as the R8/R9. I will certainly not buy the new R lens convertor.

Pascal

• Like 2

I guess it is an adequate solution for many uses, but not for all.

Leica seems to have the same idea by limiting the list of R lenses.

I very much doubt that it will prove optimal for long tele/wildlife work, other than on a tripod with live view, and imo the Visoflex still is unbeaten for macro, even being superior to most modern DSLRs.

For less demanding work with R lenses, I am sure users will be happy.