50mm Noctilux F1.0

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very curious how the F1.0 Noctilux compares to the VII Summilux for rendering, I have a 50 Elmar-M f2.8 which is small and I really like the rendering and a VII 50 Summilux, but keep seeing and hearing about the F1. Just curious how an F1 Noctilux might compare, prices are drifting up and I might look back in 3 years time wishing I had asked the question :cool:

Is it really that special ?

I am very curious how the F1.0 Noctilux compares to the VII Summilux for rendering, I have a 50 Elmar-M f2.8 which is small and I really like the rendering and a VII 50 Summilux, but keep seeing and hearing about the F1. Just curious how an F1 Noctilux might compare, prices are drifting up and I might look back in 3 years time wishing I had asked the question :cool:

Is it really that special ?

Is it special? Yes it is, is the short answer. Whether the qualities that make it special will suit you, only you can answer. It did not suit the majority of original owners and was invariably sold on, usually at a healthy profit, and sold on again. I would strongly advise you to try one for a while if you can, it is not a lens for general use, despite the claims by some that it is as good as the Summicron from f2.8 down. Most other 50's will be more useful for most of the time. It's an interesting lens and an often infuriating one to use. Your Elmar-M 50mm f2.8 focuses with the speed of a greyhound by comparison, but a Noctilux would make a great pair with it as long as you accept you would be paying an astronomical amount of money for a lens you may not use often. When that novelty wears off, you will easily recoup your outlay and possibly more.

Is it worth the steadily increasing prices it commands? No, it is not. Is it an investment? If the upward trend continues, yes it is. I wish I had bought a truck-load of Noctiluxes instead of two back in 2006!

If you really have an itch that just has to be scratched, save on and order a 0.95 Noctilux! It's a different beast.

• Like 2

Would it be right to say an f1 Noctilux renders akin to the last pre-asph 50 Summilux, whereas the 0.95 is more similar to the 50 Summilux Asph?

I've had a look at f1 prices too but haven't seen that they're creeping north. I guess I'm looking at the wrong (or right :) ) spots.

This is showing, why the Noctilux f1 is my absolute favorite lens:

7730962276_e7c269a45a_c.jpg

portrait - young gentleman by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

The 50/1.4 v2 is in my opinion very different from the Noctilux.

It is very soft wide open - has a look, more a bit "mushy" for a lack of a better word, while the Noctilux f1 @ f1 and f1.4 really shows very fine detail, but under a veil of angel dust ;-)

The Noctilux f1 is in fact a very sharp lens already wide open @ f1.

The v2 Summilux sharpens up as a contrast extremely well @ f2.

When I got my v2, I was blown away by it's surprising look at f2, but I never got to like it wide open.

I find the Noctilux a LOT better in handling fast, than the v2 Summilux.

The bigger barrel is much, much better to focus for me, than the much thinner Summilux barrel with it's rather slippery focus ring and still relatively heavy focussing feel.

Most Noctilux lenses, I have played with in shops focus rather heavy/ stiff.

My sample is in regular use and seems to be more smooth/ light in focussing, but with an absolute lack of any mechanical play, rattle or uneven feel - the workmanship is perfect.

I am obviously biased, but it is a pity, if one has to miss out on a Noctilux f1, when preferring classic lenses. I personally don't like the latest ASPH lenses, so the noctilux is a natural fit for me.

I too see the latest asking prices in shock - so much so in fact, that I am contemplating, to pick up a second, heavy user sample, to store my mint v4 in a bank safe instead.

This is for me the look, I like best from the v2 Summilux (sufficient light, f2):

7332989100_d6dea77c62_c.jpg

portrait - man in chair by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

I don't like the Summilux v2 not much in low light, but stopped down to f2, it is wonderful and has in fact something, I much prefer over the more characterless (a bit harsh ?) latest Summicron.

I am shooting almost exclusively B&W. I make my conversions each photograph individually - I can't use profiles or plugins, to get the look, I want.

Bad lenses make me doctor around for a long time and fail to get me a certain look in B&W - the Noctilux f1 curiously barely needs anything in PP - I absolutely love this lens.

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those pictures look lovely, a wonderful look. Is your lens a later E60 built in hood version ?

Yes, it is the latest ƒ1 Noctilux, but if Today, I would look for a Noctilux ƒ1 to use, rather than one, I am not sure, if I would like to resell it easily, I would definitely go for a v2 or v3, rather than my v4.

The built in telescopic hood is not at all ideal - not for shielding light and not for protecting the lens from curious fingers or accidents, but it does add unnecessary bulk.

I would look for a nice, scratched up E60 v3 with pristine glass and good mechanics (no play or you pay a visit to Solms).

Having it 6-bit coded is not essential to me, as I like it with and without coding anyway.

Most expensive ones now are the v4 and the early E58 samples, ruling them out as ideal users for me - these will at some point join the safety boxes in bank safes with the Noctilux ƒ1.2 soon, as they are approaching high prices.

• Like 4

:) Excellent IWC (speaking of 35s, I came across this comparison which you may have seen already).

Mark, very nice photos. Are they all digital? I can't check exif etc here on my work computer.

I've understood v. 4 has a slightly recomputed optical formula. How does it compare to the previous three versions?

cheers

Philip

• Like 1

:)

Mark, very nice photos. Are they all digital? I can't check exif etc here on my work computer.

I've understood v. 4 has a slightly recomputed optical formula. How does it compare to the previous three versions?

cheers

Philip

Thanks, all shot on M9.

The drummers shot @ ISO 800 ±f1.4 at night. I wanted to have just enough DOF to ensure I got the focus right on these moving subjects. I'll post a few more photos of the drummers in a few minutes.

I can't comment on any of the other versions of this lens as I have no experience with them.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

More Noctilux v3 Pics...

M9 1.0/50 v3

ISO 800 ±f1.2-2.0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I had the 58mm version which unfortunately i sold - i liked it as i could interchange filters and the hood was more to my liking than the v4 version i currently own

I paid €6,250 for my v4 copy. Granted, it was new old stock, the guy who bought it new used it a coupla times over 3 months and couldn't understand the lens so sold it off with a 20 month warranty from Solms.

Anyway, talk is cheap. Shut up and shoot.

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20121/2221_L1023504_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20124/2221_L1024124_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20124/2221_Bicycle_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20124/2221_L1024427_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20124/2221_L1024635_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20124/2221_Noctilux_Better_Earth_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20125/2221_7198557252_52169dc75f_o_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20128/2221_L1028082_2_1.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20121/2221_L1023553EditEdit_1.jpg

I have owned many many dozens of lenses for DSLR's and RF's but character wise, nothing comes close to the Noctilux f1

• Like 8

Yes, it is the latest ƒ1 Noctilux, but if Today, I would look for a Noctilux ƒ1 to use, rather than one, I am not sure, if I would like to resell it easily, I would definitely go for a v2 or v3, rather than my v4.

The built in telescopic hood is not at all ideal - not for shielding light and not for protecting the lens from curious fingers or accidents, but it does add unnecessary bulk.

I would look for a nice, scratched up E60 v3 with pristine glass and good mechanics (no play or you pay a visit to Solms).

Having it 6-bit coded is not essential to me, as I like it with and without coding anyway.

Most expensive ones now are the v4 and the early E58 samples, ruling them out as ideal users for me - these will at some point join the safety boxes in bank safes with the Noctilux ƒ1.2 soon, as they are approaching high prices.

There is an easy fix for the Noctilux V4's dysfunctional lens hood affliction: Get a 60-62mm step up ring and a B+W 62mm lens hood for a 50mm focal length lens. Problem solved.

As a longtime believer in the virtues and benefits of the lens hood, it is a great relief to at long last have a proper lens hood on my 50/1.0. The built in telescoping abomination that the V4 Noctilux was saddled with is at once curious, frustrating, comical, worthy of mockery and tragic. :rolleyes:

Edited by Messsucherkamera
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

mark p , you are lucky that he doesnt want back it yet :)

nice, moody photos, it is something characteristic about noctilux . I had offer for nocti 1800$ a few years ago, now look the prices soared.

Lucky me that I said to me that for me pictures is all about from f2.8. Personal of course. Nice to emulate Elmar 2.8 since 100 years ago :p Something I been eyeing for very old Standard with uncoated Elmar which gives enough of characteric for that type of lens. Rolleiflex Standard from year 1920 gives enough of kick for me :eek:

• Like 1

mark p , you are lucky that he doesnt want back it yet :)

nice, moody photos, it is something characteristic about noctilux . I had offer for nocti 1800$ a few years ago, now look the prices soared.

Shame you didn't take it.

Lucky me that I said to me that for me pictures is all about from f2.8. Personal of course. Nice to emulate Elmar 2.8 since 100 years ago :

If I understand what you're saying, you don't want to shoot with very narrow DOF. I'm the same and rarely use the Noctilux wide open. Fortunately it's character extends through into the smaller apertures.

• Like 3

yeah the excuse was weight. Too bad when earlier I had tried different FL and settled to a few chosen later today. My main focal lenght is 50mm so Nocti for 1800$ would be better in my collection than other lenses that I had acquired.

It is time to move on and another excuse except weight is price :D I even would like to try Leica 0 that you have recock in middle of shooting with front lens cap. An replica made by Leica of the prototype Ur (?)

Enjoy of the lens while you have it ;)

Judging from the images I have seen, the 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux is the most desirable of the super speed 50mm lenses. This category of M camera compatible lenses includes the Leica Noctiluxes (all of them), the Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 Nokton and the SLR Magic Hyperprime 50mm f/0.95 Noktor lens.

The 0.95 Noctilux ASPH does produce images of higher quality than the 50/1 lens. ASPH lenses will do that. The 50/1 lens is not as sharp or as contrasty wide open, but in the view of many Noctilux users, it produces a more aesthetically pleasing image than its successor. This is a matter of preference, of course.

IWC Doppel asked the question, "is it really that special?" IMHO, the answer is yes.

If you are after the absolute pinnacle in sharpness and contrast, the new 50/2 Summicron ASPH is your lens. Next in line would (probably) be the 50/1.4 ASPH Summilux. The 50/2 ASPH is close in price to a new f/1 Noctilux (if you can find one for sale). The 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH costs less than either, if you can find one.

From what I have seen, the Nokton 50/1.1 and the Hyperprime 50/0.95 are lenses that I would not spend money on.

The above is JMHO. Others may have different views but these are my conclusions based on my experiences and observations.

Edited by Messsucherkamera
  • Like 4

Is it special? Yes it is, is the short answer. Is it worth the steadily increasing prices it commands? No, it is not. Is it an investment? If the upward trend continues, yes it is. I wish I had bought a truck-load of Noctiluxes instead of two back in 2006!

If you really have an itch that just has to be scratched, save on and order a 0.95 Noctilux! It's a different beast.

So what is the difference in images between these 2 lense ?