Serviceability M8 & M8.2 displays

And therein lies the crux. The sensor must be aligned extremely exactly to the body to ensure rangefinder accuracy. Leica uses sophisticated tools and quite some time for the process.

You can change the rear half of the M8 containing the LCD without having to disturb the sensor in any way.

I have had the benefit of both a college education and naval service. While I infrequently find myself reliant on what I learned in the college classroom, I find those things ingrained during naval service come in handy in confronting just about every difficulty I experience. Aboard ship, in engineering spaces, we use to run, constantly, what were called BECCE (Basic Engineering Cassualty Control Examination) drills. The idea behind BECCE being: it is going to break, and likely when you need it most; therefore, figure out how to react and repair, or, operate without it......but figure it out ahead of time, so in the heat of the moment, you know what to do; be able to do it in the dark.

Fortunately, failed LCD does not impact the ability of an M8 to take a beautiful photograph. The most important aspects of "Camera," i.e. focus, aperture, and shutter speed are still beautifully mechanical; only ISO selection is impacted by the curse electronics obsolescence. As I understand it, Leica is still able, and willing, to assist in repair/maintenance of everything M8, other than the LCD. So, in the spirit of all those sweaty, tired, aggravated, ships engineers of yore.....and BECCE:

1. Learn and write down the button dances associated with the various settings of the camera...especially ISO setting; be able to do it without the LCD.

2. Consider choosing an ISO setting and stick with it; learn to adjust to your liking in PP.

3. Do it before the dreaded LCD failure occurs.

Wayne

I have had the benefit of both a college education and naval service. While I infrequently find myself reliant on what I learned in the college classroom, I find those things ingrained during naval service come in handy in confronting just about every difficulty I experience. Aboard ship, in engineering spaces, we use to run, constantly, what were called BECCE (Basic Engineering Cassualty Control Examination) drills. The idea behind BECCE being: it is going to break, and likely when you need it most; therefore, figure out how to react and repair, or, operate without it......but figure it out ahead of time, so in the heat of the moment, you know what to do; be able to do it in the dark.

Fortunately, failed LCD does not impact the ability of an M8 to take a beautiful photograph. The most important aspects of "Camera," i.e. focus, aperture, and shutter speed are still beautifully mechanical; only ISO selection is impacted by the curse electronics obsolescence. As I understand it, Leica is still able, and willing, to assist in repair/maintenance of everything M8, other than the LCD. So, in the spirit of all those sweaty, tired, aggravated, ships engineers of yore.....and BECCE:

1. Learn and write down the button dances associated with the various settings of the camera...especially ISO setting; be able to do it without the LCD.

2. Consider choosing an ISO setting and stick with it; learn to adjust to your liking in PP.

3. Do it before the dreaded LCD failure occurs.

Wayne

Definitely point 2. In another thread on the M8 LCD, forum member 'lambda' gave me some very useful input: fix the ISO at 160 and push it by 4-5 stops if required in PP. I've been doing exactly this and the results are much more useable than pushing the ISO in the camera. Especially when shooting in very low light conditions.

• Like 1

Just use the camera, as intended, I say.

If it goes phutt, or the screen stops, or is unrepairable...then...

Either find another, buy another camera type, or buy another brand. Nothing is forever.

Enjoy the M8 as it is,  and stop getting paranoid.

Very, very few of the screens have become totally unserviceable...it is not a problem.

all best..