I spent the bank holiday with a 75mm Summliux

IWC Doppel

Me too, I end up with 80% B&W and 20% adjusted colour in some way........

The colouring of my 35 Summilux works well desaturated in a old Kodachrome kindof way, the low contrast wide open of the 75 Summilux seemed to suit B&W over the dingy bank holiday...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I couldn't get anything in colour I really liked with the 75 this weekend... looked a bit ordinary

Another vote for the 75 Summarit which I bought for my M8 and virtually lives on it. But also very useful on the M9. It is a super short tele lens.

+1. "An ideal traveller's companion. Compact, very lightweight and offers a performance that (is) only a shade below that of the Apo-Summicron 75mm."

-E Puts, Leica Compendium pg 485.

Could not put it better myself! :) Highly delighted with mine.

When I had my M8 I did have the 75 Summarit and preferred the rendering of the 90 Elmarit-M so sold the Summarit, I will try and use my 90 Elmarit-M more and see if it offers me more use than it has so far. I guess the 75 is less of a stretch from 50, I like my 50 Summilux on my M8 so 70 is more familiar than 90.

Another vote for the 75 Summarit which I bought for my M8 and virtually lives on it. But also very useful on the M9. It is a super short tele lens.

It's a great lens on an M8

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my 75 Summilux. Not so keen on the bokeh at around 5.6 when that aperture is not round. It has that star shape. I'm not sure if it was a desirable trait back then but I'm not sure why the aperture isn't round all the way though. Perhaps a necessary design. I'm sure some people love it but I'm not so keen and it's effect on trees is not really to my liking. 1.4 - 2.8 is another story. It is right to say this lens really sings at 2.8. It's bonkers sharp when stopped down. I love it for it's amazing detail, tonality and perfect amount of contrast. Contrast is of corse lower when wide open though.

I also have a cyan cast on mine which while it corrects OK, I wonder about it. It leaves me wondering about that 75 Cron some more with it's brilliant colour and fine detail. It's next on my list to buy. Here's hoping for a new Summilux.

Edited by Paul J

My guess on the Photokina thread was a new 75 lux, but that's pure guess ;)

I have now returend the lens to its rightful owner and would agree with comments made about stopping down, when I took the same shot at different apertures I found my favourite three apertures being 1.4, 2.0 and 2.8 seemed to be at it's sharpest at f4-5.6 and not as contrasty at f8

It's still on my want list ;)

Oh, I agree. I couldn't bare to part with it. It's truly unique and very special 1.4 - 2.8. And I really love the detail stopped down. The combination of the magnification and the stopped down detail really gives a Medium Format feel. You see alot of skin detail in particular which really is heavenly. Though I've found myself picky with what I have in the background at certain apertures as personally I just find some things distracting.

It has far many more pros than cons. No, I would never let it go. Even an update I can imagine would be more corrected and not the same.

I would buy an updated Lux in a heart beat and I really hope your prediction is right. I do wonder though as the 28 Lux is listed and pretty much guaranteed but no mention of the 75. I can live in hope though.

If anyone is looking for one. Don't be fooled by the ridiculously high ebay prices. Reputable dealers part with them for around £2K. Which is what I bought my Late Canadian copy with no signs of use, (case but no box).

• Like 1