Elmar-C 90/4 vs Tele Elmarit 90/2.8 on M8? Doubts!

maccaco

I bought my Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 30 years ago, it is not a bad lens at all but it has too much flare for my taste. If you want a better 90 open at f/2.8 the last Elmarit 90/2.8 is the way to go. The Tele-Elmarit remains the smallest 90/2.8 though, it has almost the same size as your Elmar-C. Aside from that, the last Elmarit is unbeatable IMHO. To get the same quality in a smaller package, the Macro-Elmar 90/4 is a superb lens as well but it is more expensive by far.

I used for lot of years my Tele Elmarit 2,8 : I preferred it over the Elmar C (but used this only on the CL, not on M8) but mostly for esthetics (I love chromes...) and ergonomics : to be sincere, the feature I appreciated more was that you could use the standard case of Ms with the TE mounted on;: in terms of rendering there was not such a difference, expecially for the fact that at f 2,8 the TE was really flare-prone. I agree that if you want a step-up, last Elmarit _ M is the (bulky...) choice... I got one 2 years ago and by then is MY 90.

Thanks for the contributions.

I am a stickler for compact lenses, and even I can sacrifice some performance in exchange for weight and compactness.

I'm even considering the canon 100/3.5 LTM (very small, light and good DoF and Bokeh) although he has 1m minimum focus (is that bad?).

More Doubts!!!

For my research is true, it uses 40mm filters and so I drew back for it.

Too bad, it seems good lens. I think in the end I'll stay with my Elmar-C 90 and still enjoy it.

I research now Lanthar CV 90 3.5 but I think it is not too good investment by only 0.5 spot of light...

What other options 75-90-100 mm will be small and not very heavy, and with decent aperture? :confused:

Recently got a thin TE 90. What a neat lens. If you are a stickler for compact lenses, this is great. I have an APO Summicron 90 that I like, but this lens is much better for carrying around, light, handles easily. Beautiful images. I've had no problem wide open, I posted a portrait recently (Julia) with this. at 5.6 it's remarkably sharp. At 2.8 it has a nice softness.

Keep your eye on the Bay, I just saw one go unbidded on at $450 that had a recent Leica NJ CLA. If I hadn't already gotten one I would have snapped it up.

A clean 'thin' 90mm Tele-Elmarit is a fine thing to have in your jacket pocket when you are travelling light. Performance is decent wide open, though with visibly soft corners. At f:4 it is good, very crisp at 5.6 over the entire frame, and brilliant at f:8. And it weighs just 240 grams!

The lens takes either a 35mm filter on the mount or a Series 5.5 in the collapsible rubber hood. If this is lost or in bad shape, use the dear old clip-on 27525 hood that can be reversed on the lens. It was introduced in 1956 as the IUFOO and is still in use as the hood for the Macro-Elmar – a Leica accessory that can compete with the table tripod in longevity!

But remember, a hazy lens is probably a lost lens, except as a decorator. But this was a problem mainly for some early lenses – it probably had to do with the lubricants used – and after all these years, a lens that is not hazy will probably never be.

The old man from the Age of the 9cm Elmar

...What other options 75-90-100 mm will be small and not very heavy, and with decent aperture? :confused:

Rokkor-M 90/4. A tiny bit shorter than the "thin" Tele-Elmarit (pic), same sharpness more or less and less flare. 40.5mm filters available on e**y. Not sure if it is significantly better than your Elmar-C though as i have no experience with the latter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have the 90/4 elmar c, the 90/2.8 elamrit-m (not tele elmarit), and the 90/2.0 Summicron (last non asph version).

While all are execellent, I most often use the elmarit-m, it is optically excellent, 2.8 is fast enough most of the time, and it is much smaller and lighter than the summicron, which I now use mostly as a portrait lens.

The elmar c is a great 'stealth' lens since it is small enough thart observers will not take it seriously, but it's optical results in ist range are very serious.

If I could only keep one 90, it would be the elmarit-m

... H

• Like 1

I've had the "fat" TeleElmarit since 1968, and have gotten very good results. I use it rarely, as I usually prefer a wider view.

Last year I added the 75 2.5 Voigtlander, and now use it more than the 90 TE. It is a very nice lens, inexpensive and small enough to carry for the occasional shot

• Like 1

Last year I added the 75 2.5 Voigtlander, and now use it more than the 90 TE. It is a very nice lens, inexpensive and small enough to carry for the occasional shot

I just did that. I hope to use it more than the Elmar-C 90. :)

Do not trade for 2.8. It is "soft" unlike modern lenses full open. It will be nice at 4. Compare this with how your Elmar C does at 4.

Many have some decementing or other obvious optical defect in rear group and it is not repairable. Mine is fine. I think if it were to happen, it would have done so by now. Inspect before you buy.

It is a nice pocket lens.