My thoughts for a bare-bones "budget" digital M

MPJMP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

a digital M without an LCD---with mechanical toggle switches for ISO, shutter speed, b&w/colour, etc....would be sweet.

unfortunately, that would mean a lot of toggle switches!

i hate the idea of connecting a camera to a phone to change settings...that would be so cumbersome and annoying.

What about a different 'angle'? An M without a LCD would be virtually unworkable because of the need to be able to interact with prompts during 'housekeeping' activities such as installation and reinstallation of firmware, formatting SD cards, and resetting the camera.

Could these housekeeping activities not be accomplished when the camera (or SD card) is connected to the computer?

A Bluetooth transmitter/receiver would just be one more thing to break, and on a minimalist M unnecessary and unwanted, IMHO. But such a feature on a full-featured M10 would be a great idea.

Regrettably not because they need use input through the camera, for example installing or reinstalling firmware, selection of 6-bit focal length for WATE, reformatting the SD card in the camera (yes, this can be done on the computer but experience indicates that this leads to problems), resetting the firmware, and sensor cleaning.

Pete.

Here's a thought, one of my first digicams didnt have a colour LCD to see images. It only had a 'B&W' LCD like the one on the M8 top plate. One of those could be used for purely functional use?

That said, the idea of not including a normal LCD on a digital camera is as sensible as building a car, leaving out the engine and welding some mounting point for horse reigns instead.

• Like 1

...the idea of not including a normal LCD on a digital camera is as sensible as building a car, leaving out the engine and welding some mounting point for horse reigns instead.

Good idea for when the oil runs out! :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That said, the idea of not including a normal LCD on a digital camera is as sensible as building a car, leaving out the engine and welding some mounting point for horse reigns instead.

terrible analogy...as the LCD on a camera is not the equivalent of an engine in a car.

• 1 month later...

The big benefit of digital is the histogram and LCD screen, to me at least. I walk away knowing the exposure is in the bag.

In order to get the same level correct exposure, I would need to carry a pot meter and an incident light meter like I did with film. Frankly I would rather have the histogram and the "sloppy" M center weighted M meter. Yes the meter works well frequently, but it is not 100%. For that you need hand meter(s).

Turn the brightness down and it will last longer just like the TV screen saturation and running a car engine at 3000+ rpm all the time.

• 4 years later...

Well, it took about 4 years, but it's nice to see that someone at Leica had a similar idea to mine.  Other than the digital frame lines and manual shutter cocking, the new M-D is pretty much the digital M I wanted back in 2012.  I've since moved on to the Fuji X system, but if I had the money I would definitely get my hands on an M-D!  It's a modern digital camera for the purist. 

Edited by MPJMP

• 2 weeks later...