one focal length.

cknobel

Surprised no-one has mentioned speed.

Since you don't list the speed of each lens I would go with the faster of the 35 and the 50. That will give you the best possible option in all lighting conditions. If your 35 and 50 are the same speed then I would choose the 35 - just a little more versatile IMO.

• Like 1

35 or 50 for me. I'd take the 35 then constantly wonder if the 50 would have been a better choice for the whole trip.

I think 35 as it's a more story telling lens, the 50 I love for street and picking certain things out a little bit more though.

of on a trip to South Africa for 4 weeks (nature, landscape, street) with an M9 and only want to take one lens; what would it be... 18, 24, 35, 50..?

On M9 #1 I would take the 35 with the 50 as a backup for that body for street/city/whatever.

On M9 #2 I would take the 90 with the 135 as the backup for this body for landscape/nature/whatever.

Hey, this is South Africa. For wildlife take the D800 and a long lens. Lions can smell city folk from far off-don't take undue chances, bring them close to you through your lenses not through your scent.

I just returned from a week in Kenya and did a week in Kruger last year. The 35mm 1.4 summilux did everything I asked of it. I left behind the 50 summilux, 50 noctilux in the interests of weight saving...of course my son had the Japanese DSLR for the long shots which the M9 doesn't do well anyway...

Enjoy!

Thanks to you all for your input. Guess the 35 is set and will add another one.....cheers.

The question raised above about light is important

I would prefer a 50mm f1.4 to a 35mm f2 anyday

More flexibility. Even during the day you often dip into dark places, eg cafes, caves, etc

Not to mention the nicer subject isolation available due to dof on 50mm if you are in to that kind of thing!