75mm cron calibrate to my m9

stump4545

Question has been asked a hundred times.

Only the very first null series Leica had lenses calibrated to a specific body. And that was in 1920`s. Since then the lens and body go to different places to be brought to factory specs.

In some cases the might be a tolerance stackup issue when they may need to be readjusted.

Test yours and see a 4 feet wide open.

Every system has tolerances and it is possible to have a lens checked at the same time as your camera. You can have a lens checked at the same time as your camera and possibly they can be matched more closely even within the acceptable tolerance range.

However, a correctly adjusted lens should work just fine on every correctly adjusted camera. In general I think it is not disputed (?) that those tolerances being closer than those of AF systems for example is one of the things you pay for with the best Leica M lenses. This is hand work applying the results from their sophisticated measuring and calibrating systems of course and error is always possible. Personally I had just one new lens (actually the most expensive I have ever purchased) that proved to be significantly wrong in adjustment on multiple cameras as delivered new from the factory.

I do have that APO 75 Summicron M ASPH lens (my favourite) and Solms did check and tweak it for free with my M8 upgrade even though I had never seen any deficiency in accuracy. Very often any detectable variation is more than masked in normal use anyway (operator variability)

I can say as a real world experience that it worked perfectly on that M8 and has continued to do so on my M9 for I think a couple of thousand frames.

Dr Ted Grant, Canadian Master photographer photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Samantha photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

just got my m9 kit back from leica nj and had them check calibration to my m9.

but in the process i picked up a 75mm cron.

ideally, should i have my 75mm cron calibrated to my m9 or really not necessary?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Should a 'normal' 75 summicron be sharp center to corner on a flat surface subject

at about 5 feet and f2.8

Took delivery of a new one today and the results are far from what

I had been expecting.

50 summicron and 90 2.8 both borderline perfect in same test at one stop down from wide open

75 had very apparent soft corners.

The M9 I have been using seems to indicate some front focussing with 75 so complicates

interpreting the results

Mark