DMR - again. What are you stories of failures

vickko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the DMR and R8 allot, they give me a great colour rendition I don't trust the auto whitebalance so I just set it at 5500K and adjust in Lightroom, I use the DMR from ISO 100 (mostly) to maximum of 400.

800 maybe for B&W.

It's a great system, and still very capable, producing files that have better colour rendition then the M8 and even todays DSLR!

Happy to be shooting with it, see my DMR set on Flickr:

Leica DMR (Digital-Modul-R) - a set on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I also like my DMR, when used with Flexcolor the colours are real,use a tripod and keep in focus and the DMR stands out. This comapny below replace the DMR batteries I'm sending them one, just trying to work out the best way to post, Li-Ion batteries have conditions for air mail!

preiswerte Akku Reparatur - Aufbereitung Akku - Akku sofort reparieren - Akkupack Aufarbeitung - Umweltschutz mit Akku Recycling - alten Akku aufarbeiten - defekten Akku aufbereiten - Akku Reparatur Mainz - Akku Reparatur Wiesbaden - Leica DMR 14447

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This topic is about what's gone wrong with DMRs … and I've got two funny things happening at the moment.

1. The same as reported by Doug on page 1, my DMR with R8 is turning itself back on! This started happening yesterday when I took the R gear out of the cabinet for a play. If I let the DMR power off after 2 or 5 minutes, it turns back on in 10 seconds. If I turn it off manually by holding the OK/OFF button down, it turns back on in 10 seconds. What?!!!  But, if I turn it off manually then rotate the program dial to off, it stays off. Previously it wasn't fussy about how it was turned off, whether the camera first or the DMR back first.

2. I also noticed yesterday, halfway through the playing session, that the DMR wouldn't turn on. I tried three batteries and concluded they were all toast. But while fiddling I popped the back open slightly and the DMR made the clicking noise it used to make when the shutter button was bumped with the camera off. I tried turning it on in the usual way and it came to life. All three batteries were good. Sheesh! With much fiddling I figured out that if I turn it off the way it now prefers, it will come back on. 

I'll be giving all of the contacts a thorough cleaning, first with a clean pencil rubber to remove any gunk and then Contact Cleaner to ensure they are properly clean. Will report back.

Rick.

p.s. I see that Thorsten Overgaard is speculating about a new Leica R compatible body to be announced in late 2015. That would be nice. The R10 at last. Hopefully it'll have an optical viewfinder and zero latency.

p.p.s  Just ran another 'going to sleep' test with the DMR while typing this, and it has stayed off. Talk about temperamental. But if you're reading this, you knew that. :-)

• Like 1

Mine has been great... And I leave it unused for long periods of time but it really does benefit from regular gold contact cleaning.

Just for info... You can use the battery from the R8/9 to rebuild your DMR batteries. You just need two of them and some basic soldering skills.

I haven't done it yet because I have 4 good batteries but it's good to know just in case.

Oh... And get out and use it.

When I'm feeling lazy I just switch the output to produce Jpegs only and snap away like it's a point and shoot. Lots of fun and no "I'm getting low on film" anxiety... lol  :wub:

Just messing around. This camera is a lot of fun.  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting back on my earlier complaint, copied below. Well, the DMR on my R8 resumed operating properly after simply pulling the three subassemblies apart - camera body, battery pack/base and DMR sensor/control unit. Put it back together and it has worked perfectly since. So just one of the usual electrical contact problems I guess. Easily fixed and I'm glad for that. I love this camera and digital back and the photos it makes.

But, now that the Leica SL has been announced, well, that could be the R10 we've all been waiting for. I wonder how close it really is to what an R10 would have been? Probably better in some respects and not quite there in others. I'm reading the threads in the SL section. :-)

Regards, Rick.

This topic is about what's gone wrong with DMRs … and I've got two funny things happening at the moment.

1. The same as reported by Doug on page 1, my DMR with R8 is turning itself back on! This started happening yesterday when I took the R gear out of the cabinet for a play. If I let the DMR power off after 2 or 5 minutes, it turns back on in 10 seconds. If I turn it off manually by holding the OK/OFF button down, it turns back on in 10 seconds. What?!!!  But, if I turn it off manually then rotate the program dial to off, it stays off. Previously it wasn't fussy about how it was turned off, whether the camera first or the DMR back first.

2. I also noticed yesterday, halfway through the playing session, that the DMR wouldn't turn on. I tried three batteries and concluded they were all toast. But while fiddling I popped the back open slightly and the DMR made the clicking noise it used to make when the shutter button was bumped with the camera off. I tried turning it on in the usual way and it came to life. All three batteries were good. Sheesh! With much fiddling I figured out that if I turn it off the way it now prefers, it will come back on. 

I'll be giving all of the contacts a thorough cleaning, first with a clean pencil rubber to remove any gunk and then Contact Cleaner to ensure they are properly clean. Will report back.

Rick.

p.s. I see that Thorsten Overgaard is speculating about a new Leica R compatible body to be announced in late 2015. That would be nice. The R10 at last. Hopefully it'll have an optical viewfinder and zero latency.

p.p.s  Just ran another 'going to sleep' test with the DMR while typing this, and it has stayed off. Talk about temperamental. But if you're reading this, you knew that. :-)