M lens codes

andybarton

• 7 months later...

I am planning to code my Voigtländer 21/1,8 Ultron. All my other lenses are coded and It is a rule without exception that I forget to change between Auto/Manual -coding when changing lenses.

I´ve been using Elmarit-M 21 (11134) coding and I think it works pretty good. It gives correct focal length to efix, but unfortunately my M9 doesn´t show correct diaphragm value when shooting wider than F2,8. Has anyone tried to code it as a Summilux 21?

Regards,

Arto

• 1 month later...

I need some help with the coding please. When I print the templates available online they are too big. How can I get these to scale properly. I found one that is supposed to be 2" X 2". Not sure how to make it print that exact size.

Thanks. 

Brent

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know who is actually machining 6 bit pits on mounts?

I had talked to John Milich a few months ago and finally had gotten around to removing the mounts to send off to him.

Appears he has since died!

So, with that being said, does anyone in the US machine the mounts other than Leica.

I'e also got a DR Summicron and 35 Summicron I'd like to get done as well.. but those are going to be a pain as they don't have the usual mount design.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everybody.

I'd like to share my small experience in lens coding.

Now I have only two lenses: CZ C Sonnar 1.5/50 ZM and VM Color-Skopar 35/2.5 PII.

Initial preparations took some time. I saw native Leica coded lenses and many DIY codes. Also I read some folks noticed some hand-made codes aren't readable by new cam bodies. So I decided to discover this topic deeply. I have M9 cam with straight reader. As well known M240/M262 have curved form reader. So I started to make drawings based on vector images from manuals and then moved to camera mount photos. I decided they're more real. I analyzed both type reader areas and found optimal point size and position to be read with both shapes of readers.

I printed some amount of drawn mount templates on hard photo paper in a digital print service. The template had exact outer radius to fit with Leica and Zeiss lenses and lock mark. It's enough to position the template precisely on lens mount. Template has been cut out and temporary mounted to lens mount with double side stick tape. Then I started to drill slowly and accurate small holes with 1mm bit by fingers. The hard paper allows to avoid bit slipping in the very beginning. Then I removed the template and had noticeable holes. It's possible to continue with 1.5mm bit. During metering I measured an optimal diameter for point as 1.7mm. But 1.5mm bit OK as well due to relatively low diameter precision and a fluctuation during drilling. After I applied electric screw driver at low rotation rate and small drill time of each hole. I finished with 2mm bit in my fingers to make hole edges smooth.

Sonnar was the first and very simple task due to it is recommended to code it as lux 50 asph. So it has only 1 left bit hole. That's it. The hole has been filled with black matte paint made by Revell I usually use to paint my railway models.

sonnar.jpg

Another deal was with Color-Skopar. Voigtlaender designers in some reason decided to put screw right at the end of 6-bit code :( That time I decided to make all code holes because precise mounting of the template second time would be difficult. I don't see a reason to recode in again but who knows. All the holes have been done up to the screw but with screw I decided to just paint half-top of it. And I've got a fiasco for the first time: my Skopar has been read as MATE with f/4 at 35mm position :( After that I made a gutter from the screw hole towards mount edge. There's two black points so it is OK to just have fully painted gutter (hasn't show on the photo). Now Skopar is being read as Summarit 35/2.5.

skopar.jpg

That's all. I still don't know if they will be read correctly with M240/M262 bodies. But I'll test it when I'll reach my buddy with such kind of cam.

Edited by miric
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

​Will putting a lens code on a 11873 1st generation Summilux 35mm f:1.4 Aspherical diminish its value?

Hum... if I had one... I would NOT code it : officially, Leica hasn't issued a proper code for it, so it can be regarded as a sort of "loss of originality" for a very precious item: if one is really interested to keep the value of his ASPHERICAL, I'd say it is not an advisable job to be done. Of course, one can exchange the flange with a milled one (iirc, it has the usual screws) and keep apart, "pure and clean" the original... :)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

Hum... if I had one... I would NOT code it : officially, Leica hasn't issued a proper code for it, so it can be regarded as a sort of "loss of originality" for a very precious item: if one is really interested to keep the value of his ASPHERICAL, I'd say it is not an advisable job to be done. Of course, one can exchange the flange with a milled one (iirc, it has the usual screws) and keep apart, "pure and clean" the original... :)

An excellent idea, engraving an extra flange!  Thank you, Luigi!

• 4 months later...

Is there anyone who can help interpret the lens code chart listed in the forum. 

There are two lines of code for the 6 spaces. However, there is no clear key

to how those are entered on the round lens ring?

I have purchased new flanges with the coding spots for two lenses.

However, it is not apparent how to translate the chart to the lens itself.

The instructions say orient at 12 oclock. the photo shows them at 6 oclock and the

codes themselves are on two lines. 

Any help is appreciated.

I specifically want to code:

21 mm Elmarit 2.8 ASPH

28mm Summicron 2.0 ASPH

Thank you

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure to understand your question but the coded flanges you're referring to look like this.

Elmarit 21/2.8 asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summicron 28/2 asph: