New Lenses for my M9-P

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys,

I have recently bought a new M9-P and a new 35mm f2 to go with it, but I am itching to get something else so I was going to order a 21mm f3.4 and also a 50mm f1.4 to complete my set (not 100% sure about the 50mm). I am into Street photography and landscape so I think this should fit that purpose well.............what do you guys think????.

Please note I also have a D3s with a 14/24, 24/70, 70/200 all f2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 that I used to use for all of the above plus sports photography but all these items have been in the dry box since the Leica came along:(:(:(

• Like 1

I've got a M8, with a summicron 35, elmar 50 and a summicron 90... I do think that what you said seems correct. Although I do like the characteristics of the 50 summicron more, also I really like the older Elmar 50mm (mine is from 1961).

I have 21,24,28 and 35 and I find the 28 and 24 more usable than the 21. Only a personal view. A few with 24 below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guys,

I have recently bought a new M9-P and a new 35mm f2 to go with it, but I am itching to get something else so I was going to order a 21mm f3.4 and also a 50mm f1.4 to complete my set (not 100% sure about the 50mm). I am into Street photography and landscape so I think this should fit that purpose well.............what do you guys think????.

Please note I also have a D3s with a 14/24, 24/70, 70/200 all f2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 that I used to use for all of the above plus sports photography but all these items have been in the dry box since the Leica came along:(:(:(

After trying a bunch of lenses with M8 and first M9 I settled on these:

28, 35, 40, 50mm

I may, in the future go as wide as 24 but the others suit me just fine.

I like my 21mm and my next focal length is a 28mm. Both get a lot of use. If you skip the 28mm, perhaps a 24mm does make sense.

For touring and travel, my MATE is very useful giving me an instant switch between 50 and 35. Yet if I need faster lenses, I rarely take both primes. As you have the 35, why not consider a 75mm to go with it? There are two excellent new versions plus the much respected older Summilux.

Images with the 21/3.4 are so good its tempting to leave it on the camera all the time....:rolleyes:

My current minimalist 3 lens kit is 21/3.4, 50/2.8 collapsible and 90/4 collapsible plus macro adapter. Weighs almost nothing, takes up hardly any space and does everything......:)

The 50/2.8 seems a very underrated and overlooked little lens..... images are top end and it is a delight to use.....

The 50/2.8 seems a very underrated and overlooked little lens..... images are top end and it is a delight to use.....

+1

IMO its main quality is that it's very easy/fast to focus.

Great for street and those who are new to rangefinders.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I sold my 24 to buy a 21. It is great for street, landscape and architecture. Try to borrow/rent both lenses. Then you will know which FL is best for you.

That’s a great idea, try before you buy.............I have quite a few Leica buddies in Malaysia I will see if they are willing to let me loose with their precious toys

I find 50 to be the best for street photography and pretty much anything else too.

I've never understood these really wide lenses. I have very wide focal lengths on my EOS system but always returned disappointed from trips with shots of large vistas with small items in them or with exaggerated perspectives.

It has been said before in many threads here that you rarely lose money on Leica lenses so you can buy to try and then sell.

Sounds like you used your wides not as they are supposed to be used, they aren't just here to fit more in... Wides are cool, and I wouldn't call a 50mm a perfect street lens...

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Sounds like you used your wides not as they are supposed to be used, they aren't just here to fit more in... Wides are cool, and I wouldn't call a 50mm a perfect street lens...

Not sure who that was directed at

And who's to say how a lens is "supposed" to be used. :confused:

Both my points are proven in the two photos above. When I was at Angkor I shot some similarly non-descript images before being templed-out and began focusing on the people vs the surroundings. IWC's images, though also of typical motifs which I gave photographed several times in Venice, have used the wide focal length better imho by juxtaposing shapes, lines and well-known features against equally known and expected backdrops.

But it's all opinion. I know perfectly well how to use various focal lengths but let's not detract from the purpose of the thread.

I considered adding to my first post that it seems the OP is firmly convinced as a wider-focal length photographer but didn't, figuring that was redundant and rather opted to give a suggestion for the common boring and perhaps even novice focal length of 50mm.

Whatever floats your boat or, as the case may be, gondola.

/s

The fact is that really wide lenses demand a different kind of composition than a 50 or even a 35mm lens. It is like the difference between a Renaissance painting – all concentrated on a central subject – and a Chinese scroll painting. Also, you have to learn to handle perspective to avoid inebriated verticals (unless you deliberately try to induce vertigo in the videwer, but that again is a different kind of composition).

So there is a learning curve. It is shorter than in the past, because of the instant feedback digital is giving us, but it is still there. Do not expect instant gratification. Thinking wide means thinking different.

The old man from the Angular Age

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
As you have the 35, why not consider a 75mm to go with it? There are two excellent new versions plus the much respected older Summilux.
I think you may be right about gettiing something longer 75 or 90mm but wont that be in conflict with the RF viewfinder??

I think you may be right about gettiing something longer 75 or 90mm but wont that be in conflict with the RF viewfinder??

If you by this mean difficulty to focus longer focal lengths then there's nothing to worry about.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
If you by this mean difficulty to focus longer focal lengths then there's nothing to worry about.
Meaning the 75 plus lenses are harder to focus "right"??