Advice on 2.0/90 Summicron v.III pre-ASPH

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would appreciate the thoughts of Forum members on the 2.0/90 Summicron v.III pre-ASPH circa 1990. I have the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar, but have the opportunity of purchasing this Summicron in excellent condition for <$1400 US. I note that Puts seems to be somewhat ambivalent about the lens or is this just splitting hairs?

Edited by MarkP

not as sharp as your macro elmar specially at less than 6 feet.

The ASPH is in need of a redesign with floating elements to correct this close range problem also.

Naturally it is better at f 2.

I have used the R version of the ASPH on a nikon D90 and and the preasph on my M8 which I purchased new in the 1980 time frame and used it little. They are ok but not stars. The F4 macro remains my go to 90mm lens. Be happy and wait for a redesign with floating elements.

I have the E55 version of the last pre-ASPH 90mm, not sure if this is the same lens. However I sold my ASPH after I got the E55, it was too clinical and not that great close up. The E55 renders beautifully, at least to my eye. However if you're into sharpness you might not like the lens.

I have had a pair of those lenses (one was very old, the other a mid '80s) , and frankly never "fell in love with"... :o : my issue is that I have got, also, the M Elmarit 90... briefly said, is better tham the Summicron at any f stop... and working at f2 is often too risky, so my Summicron is on the way to become a "used once a year just not to offend it" :D (I typically credit some lenses to have feelings of their own... ;))

• Like 1

I have the E55 version of the last pre-ASPH 90mm, not sure if this is the same lens. However I sold my ASPH after I got the E55, it was too clinical and not that great close up. The E55 renders beautifully, at least to my eye. However if you're into sharpness you might not like the lens.

Same here - although I only tested the APO-ASPH before chosing the latest pre-ASPH.

Peter is right: up to f/4-5.6 the lens is not clinically sharp (which is good for portraits IMO); after that, I couldn't tell the difference with the AA in terms of sharpness.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had a pair of those lenses (one was very old, the other a mid '80s) , and frankly never "fell in love with"... :o : my issue is that I have got, also, the M Elmarit 90... briefly said, is better tham the Summicron at any f stop

I didn't find that to be the case at all, and in fact I sold my Elmarit-M. At all apertures mine performed amazingly identically, and compared to a thin T-E the Elmarit-M and Summicron weren't that far apart in size and weight either. I travel with the T-E and use the Cron the rest of the time. I had the APO also briefly, and prefer the more flattering look of the non-APO at f/2 for portraits.

The pre-ASPH (1980–1998) is a softish low contrast lens at f/2; the v.2 (1957–79) was actually sharper wide open. Stopped down a bit, it is very decent, but prone to flare. That was really the cause why I sold mine eventually. The ASPH is marginally better at 5.6. Hugely better at f/2, of course.

Close-up performace has always been an issue with speedy lenses of traditional build. I agree that it is likely that a FLE construction would be better in that respect. And the ASPH, however good at medium distances, is beginning to get a bit long in the tooth. So I think that it will soon be due for a revision.

Maybe that would lower the weight too. My present favourite 90mm is the 'thin' Tele-Elmarit.

The old man from the Age of the 9cm Elmar

My present favourite 90mm is the 'thin' Tele-Elmarit.

+1

Great travel lens (and value for money).

Haven't noticed major flare issues with my Summicron pre-ASPH, though.

Edited by Ecar
addition

Interesting thread... a rather small number of people, and quite different views about the Cron 90... and the OP has noticed that Puts is someway "ambivalent" about it... and I do remember that, in my longtime surfing on the Forum, it is not the first time that this lens brings to disparate evaluations... I tend to think that

a) OR the delicate focusing / coupling brings many times to impressions related to non-optimal focusing

B) OR is a lens that, for some complex reason, had an uneven quality during its long life.

BTW : I agree on the last opinions on the "nano" T-E 90 : one of the best "oldies" to use... and absolutely NICE to see and handle

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Luigi is right regarding such diverse opinion on this lens. The Summicron seems perhaps too soft for me at f2.0 as I don't do much 90mm portraiture, and I note Lars' comments regarding flare. The Elmarit-M is probably still the 'better' all-rounder.

I wanted to consider another 90 as now I have the Macro-Elmar I've come to really like this focal length. I'd forgotten that I also have the 3.5/90 CV Apo-Lanthar (bought for $350 new with LTM adapter) put away as I'd not really been fond of this focal length in the past. Wide-open the CV renders quite nicely if I need a 90 for portraits. Reid Reviews has a rather complimentary review of the CV.

The Summicron's hadn't previously been on my radar having chosen the Macro-Elmar over the Elmarit-M and Summarit (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/228593-praise-4-0-90-macro-elmar.html) I'm happy with my decision on the Macro-Elmar and will pass on this Summicron.

Edited by MarkP