50 Summilux

rramesh

But remember that lots of places in Europe (i.e. non-Scandinavian Europe) are quite cramped. Do bring something wider too. Even a 35mm – 35 and 50 are so different that you can sometimes with profit carry both in the same bag!

I was in Italy in the beginning of this month, and both indoors and in some old towns a 21mm lens came in handy. But I was carrying a 35mm Summilux, so maybe a 24 or 28mm lens is for you?

The old man from the Age of the Super-Angulon

Yes ... and some European countries are pretty small, so better bring a macro lens, too.

Actually, Singapore where I come from, is smaller than most European countries, with the possible exceptions of Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City.

But remember that lots of places in Europe (i.e. non-Scandinavian Europe) are quite cramped. Do bring something wider too. Even a 35mm – 35 and 50 are so different that you can sometimes with profit carry both in the same bag!

Actually, I will be bring along my set of 21-35-50-90 but on a tour, I expect to carry the 35-50 and maybe the 21. I am not sure of the 90.

Yes ... and some European countries are pretty small, so better bring a macro lens, too.

Indeed, see European scenes without walking too far at Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland. Well worth at least half a day of anyone's time.

and after that short intermission, we now hand you back to the topic...

Congrats Ramesh...it's a great lens...although I tend to use my 35mm F1.4 Summilux more and if I bring only one lens it's always the 35mm as it just gets a little more of the place...

enjoy...by the way, were you the gentleman I ran into one evening about 6 months ago in Labrador Park when I was out taking pix with my M9P and met an Indian gentleman with his wife out shooting with his M9?

Congrats Ramesh...it's a great lens...although I tend to use my 35mm F1.4 Summilux more and if I bring only one lens it's always the 35mm as it just gets a little more of the place...

enjoy...by the way, were you the gentleman I ran into one evening about 6 months ago in Labrador Park when I was out taking pix with my M9P and met an Indian gentleman with his wife out shooting with his M9?

Wow, that must have been me. Cheers.

Well Ramesh I have just returned from Europe, took two cameras with me.

As I use Film as my primary medium and now after returning home, my regret was I took the M7 and the 35mmf2 asph and the recently acquired Summilux 1.4 asph.

For Digital, I used the Canon DSLR and the Leica 21-35 and the 28-90 R lenses.

In general use I loved the 21-35 as it give me some wonderful images in tight spots as did the 35mm f2 on the M7.

The 50 1.4 was used only a couple of times then become wasted space in my bag, the Summilux is a

wonderful lens, I bought mine for speed when using it for film but I found the 35mmf2 asph was better

for most uses.

I am already planning my next trip, the M7 is staying home, to be replaced by the R9 as I can get

the full benefit of the 21 - 35 mm R lens the true champion for travelling around.

Good luck on your Summilux 1.4

Ken.

Shot of the Eiffel tower taken on the 21-35 R lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Europe and really enjoyed the Summilux 50. Used it wherever possible. In some tight locations had to use the 21. Some examples of the artisans of Europe.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yes, this is a great lens but on a trip to Europe if I had to take only 2 lenses, it would be the 21mm and 35mm . I'm leaving myself on the 12th for Manila and Cebu and planing on these two lenses with my M9 . Now if I was only taking one lens your summilux would be ideal.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Hank