35mm Summilux ASPH. vd 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IWC,

Thanks, I love this! Great opportunity to compare both lenses.

Although Puts says that:

"Generally this lens performs in an identical way as the ‘aspherical’-version. There are a few very subtle differences: the ‘asph’ version has on axis slightly lower contrast, but a more even performance in the field at apertures 1.4 and 2. From 1:2.8 both are equal in image quality."

Clearly, you are showing that the lenses do not quite perform "in an identical way"!

The next question is: Does anyone else have a 35 mm Summilux ASPHERICAL available to test against yours? Since the aspherical surfaces were ground by hand, how much variation is there from sample to sample???

Guy

The "aspherical" i have has visibly more definition (i don't know about contrast, i can't measure it) than the asph, at least in the center (a big center :)) )

I stored it so no availiable at the moment for posting images but i will in the near future.

Interesting thread

• Like 1

You are mostly correct Steve Huff amongst others refer to the ASPHERICAL as the double A, 'AA' as it has two aspherical surfaces. I will refer to it with its full name to avoid confusion ;)

Ah, A Huffism (amongst others)... Now I get it.

Accepting that 'snapping' with friends with a tripod is not normal, I have a couple of pictures that show some background differences, colour and depth.

I also converted some very low light pictures to B&W to see how 'similar' shots might look for the Bokeh, with a focus on the cigar. The first as usual is the ASPHERICAL, the second ASPH.

I can still pick up the visual differences, with more time I would adjust the preset as the light is in part from an IR heater

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Well, I popped into Leica Mayfair today and Andrew let me have a go with the 35mm Summilux ASPH.FLE (Very nice to use and quick to focus) thanks for letting me have a go and point the lens at you again !

I should have paid more attention to framing, never mind, very interesting I used the 'red' dot to set the exposure and as all the FLE came out somewhat over exposed I have taken the ASPH.FLE down by 1/3 stop (it was 1/750th, the ASPHERICAL 1/1000th) both ISO 160 and F1.4

All the ASPH.FLE's look the same. Interesting :confused:

The only adjustments to the jpg being -.35 EV on the ASPH.FLE

Shame I didn't get a shot the the ASPHERICAL of the Leica sign, looks quite different to what I would have expected from either the ASPHERICAL or ASPH. Apologies for the poor framing :o

First shot ASPHERICAL, second ASPH.FLE

Edited by IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another two at F2.8, I could blow up and show close up resolution, but there is nothing between them here, still a different look on the bigger screen....

One does IMO look more modern !

ASPHERICAL fist then ASPH.FLE at ISO 160 F2.8

• Like 1

Musar is now drunk ;)

A good friend is hopefully picking up his 35mm Summilux ASPH.FLE, so I can feel a get together with my brother and his 35mm MkIV Summicron. Depending on whether my friend sells his 35mm Summicron ASPH. possible to have all 5 together at one time.

I'll keep you all posted and dust off the tripod !

I really liked both images. I slightly preferred the second one more--and was happy to see that because I have the Lux 50mm ASPH v1. Two great lenses. I really like these renderings much more than that of the new ASPH FLE. To my taste, the new one is sharper, which could be a plus, but also oddly sharp in some aspects of OOF, which is a negative.

I am very impressed with the ASPHERICAL, there simply is a certain look to the images, something special to my eyes. This shot was a grab shot as my partner checked up on Olive our little whippet. The rendering to my eyes is very nice indeed, pixel peeking shows very little is actually in focus.......

• Like 1

To be honest, with the difference in exposure and different composition, I can't tell the images apart enough to say I prefer one over the other.

I like them both.

Perhaps side by side, printed large I might be able to make the distinction, but if one was handing on its own, I wouldn't say "Ah, what a shame this wasn't taken with an aspherical."

Clearly, I am not worthy!

I think I could spot the different lenses on a large image on my 27" MAC, but without identical shots I would have to look for clues (as some compositions can look more 3D for example and might trick), like the way the bokeh is rendered etc. Whilst there are obvious differences on a similar image that do look noticeable, compressed down to 250k they are reduced.

I do hope to have more time with a tripod and I will certainly post a few more of the ASPH. vs ASPHERICAL over the weekend.

I will also summarise my findings so far, but don't want to influence other opinions.

However at F4 I would be purely guessing and the images look very, very similar to other 35mm lenses. If I was guessing I would be doing just that guessing. I will try some images stopped down a little, my hunch is a little more 3D still. Perhaps closer to the 55mm Summicron MkIV stopped down

IWC,

Thanks for the further shots. I find the colouring interesting in the second set of shots. The Asph renders very blue and the Aspherical naturally. It seems to be the opposite (though the blueish tint is not as pronounced) in the first set of shots. Perhaps the lighting conditions?

Highlights get a disk-like look, as a blurred variant of out-of-focus highlights captured with mirror-lenses. Secondly, major out-of-focus structures tend to get surrounded by something looking like a ghost pattern.

I am a bit surprised to see this. I was under the impression the FLE (that's the one you used, right? Apologies if I misunderstood) was more like the 50 asph in rendering. The cat photo is more like the pre-asph 50 in the OOF highlights.

I was waiting for a comment like that. Good for you.

Not sure what you mean by this. I hope you didn't mean that my comment smacked of snobbery. That was not the intention. I just happen to prefer the Musar, for the quality a very reasonably-priced Lebanese wine, to the Labouré-Roi, which I find a good table everyday wine but not up to the Musar.

/S

Looking at Erwins colour tables (correct 0,5,4 for BGR) he sites :

Summilux-M 1.4/35 aspherical 0,6,6

Summilux-M 1.4/35 ASPH 0,5,5

I find the ASPHERICAL a little warmer but with yellow and not the 'pink' of say the 35 Summicron ASPH. Your observation is interesting as this does seem more pronounced with electric light. I suspect the 'yellow' is from the strong green and the colour of electric lighting.

I also prefer the colours from the ASPHERICAL even though the ASPH is seemingly more accurate. The colour density/saturation appears stronger with the ASPHERICAL, perhaps the 'punch' and 'pop' that the ASPHERICAL displays is from the string green (associated with detail as we know)

PS sorry in the above commentary it should read 35mm Summicron MkIV and not 55mm !

Edited by IWC Doppel