Leica M5 and lens compatibility

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a new owner and user of a Leica M5. I was trying out some of my existing lenses and some were not compatible. The modern 50 1.4 Lux and my 21 3.4 elmarit would not lock into place. What lenses are not compatible? Thank you.

Congratulations on your M5! When it first came out I passed and kept my M4, but finally got one last year. Now it's one of my favorite cameras.

I've avoided trying my 21mm CV, and I notice my 35 Biogon 2.0 extends back as far as the 21 does. I don't think they would hit the meter arm, but I'd suspect the metering might be off when using either. Of course, the original instruction manual only mentions earlier lenses that have problems (28mm), and refers to a separate bulletin for information on 21mm lenses.

I can't see any reason a 50mm lens wouldn't work on the M5. Hopefully someone can point us to more complete information on current lenses.

• Like 1

Leica lenses which cannot be used with the M5 are those, that had a deeply protruding rear element assembly: the 4/21mm and 3.4/21mm Super Angulons and early pre - 2 314 928 serial no.2.8/28mm Elmarit. Both lenses can however be used, if their mounts are modified so as not to raise the lightmeter arm. This will of course prevent light reading but, the lenses can be used once thus modified.

Additionally, all collapsible lenses cannot be collapsed into the M5 as they would damage the meter cell arm. Leitz used to sell a taping kit that could be taped around the lens barrel of those lenses and prevent them from being collapsed to deeply. If I recall correctly, an old 3/8" Dymo label tape could serve the same purpose.

As to why your 50mm Summilux does not lock - that should have nothing to do specifically with an M5. Can you check the lens on another M body? If it locks on another body, you may have a case of the extreme plus and extreme minus manufacturing tolerances meeting on your M5 and the 'Lux. It happens very rarely - the issue is that the lock plunger on the camera is too large for the recess on the lens, usually by a fraction of a millimeter.

Any competent mechanic can adjust for this, usually by sanding off a hair's width off the lock button so that it seats properly in the lens' lock recess. Did you say in your first post that a 3.4/21mm 'Elmarit' did not fit as well? There was a 2.8/21mm Elmarit and the current 3.4/21mm Super Elmar but never a 3.4/21mm 'Elmarit'... Which 21mm lens are you trying to fit to the M5?;)

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As to why your 50mm Summilux does not lock - that should have nothing to do specifically with an M5. Can you check the lens on another M body? If it locks on another body, you may have a case of the extreme plus and extreme minus manufacturing tolerances meeting on your M5 and the 'Lux. It happens very rarely - the issue is that the lock plunger on the camera is too large for the recess on the lens, usually by a fraction of a millimeter.

Any competent mechanic can adjust for this, usually by sanding off a hair's width off the lock button so that it seats properly in the lens' lock recess. Did you say in your first post that a 3.4/21mm 'Elmarit' did not fit as well? There was a 2.8/21mm Elmarit and the current 3.4/21mm Super Elmar but never a 3.4/21mm 'Elmarit'... Which 21mm lens are you trying to fit to the M5?;)

Cheers,

Jan

My 50 lux mounts well on my M9 and M film cameras with no problem. Just won't lock on the M5. Must be the larger lock plunger like you said.

Sorry the 21 super elmar is what I meant. Now I know that does't fit.

Thank you.

Any Summilux has to fit the M5.

In fact, any M lens has to fit the M5. Just with lenses that protrudes far inside, you may loose the functionality of the meter, but the camera will fire and work properly if correctly setted.

By the way, the same wide angles that can't meter with the M5 can't either with the M6 and the other metered Leicas, for the same reason: because their protruding elements partly cover the light reflected from the curtain to the silicium cell.

:)

Hello amati35,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please see Jan's Posts above.

There are some M lenses which might damage the meter of the M5 unless these lenses are appropriately modified. It can be confusing because some of these lenses have already been modified after sale to a customer, some were supplied already modified & some are still in their original state & can damage the meter of an M5 if they are mounted as they are. Some screw mount lenses need to have their screw to bayonet adapters modified. If these screwmount lenses are used w/ unmodified adapters the lenses (not the adapters) can damage the M5's meter. Some collapsable lenses need to be modified so their collapsable portions do not collapse beyond a certain point. Or they need to be used but never collapsed.

Welcome to the World of Leitz/Leica.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Again amati35,

If you go to the wiki @ the top of this page & then to the section dealing w/ M lenses & look @ the drawing of the 1st version of the 28mm F2.8 Elmarit which is immediately next to its photo you will see the lens module extending out of the back of the lens. This can damage the meter cell of an M5.. This is 1 of the reasons for adapting the lens.

Adapting the lens means making a cutout in the lens mount of bayonet mount lenses that protrude in the back. Or in the adapter mount when using screwmount lenses that protrude in the back.

Perhaps someone has a photo of an adapted lens mount, an adapted adapter or w/ a little luck photos of both.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 3 years later...

Reg the LEICA 135mm f/4 ELMAR (1960-1965): thanks for the quick reply, I graced it with something similar like vaseline, but it  didn't get on. It seems there is a abrupt strong resistance just a few millimeter before it would normally stop and click.  Did someone try this lens on the M5?  I am glad for any suggestions.