Which lenses get the best benefits from M8

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Impressive. I also have a lot of lenses, none are inferior, though not used very much.

Just curious, do you really carry all of them regularly, no preference or whatsoever?

If so, how much time do you spend on switching the lenses vs. really taking the pictures?

I realize you directed this question to Jaap, who I am sure will respond, but I feel I can also answer as the owner of a number of lenses (never bothered to count as it is not important to know). Photographers like me and many others have a 'toolbox' at our disposal, just as does a carpenter or other artisan. It is important to have the most appropriate tool for any given task, even if another tool can manage. It's about avoiding compromise in the work. Some of my lenses don't see the light of day for a long time, but when needed, they shine. That justifies it for me. Cost of this practice? Some dollars I have always been lucky to find. They are working tools, so that justifies it. Because I enjoy using them, that is a special bonus.

Imagine an artist with only one brush! Yes, you can work with one brush or one lens, but if it is not imposed on you, why do it?

• Like 1

Sometimes a cheap one can be fun as well. Argus Cintar on the M9 and EP2:

Argus 50/3.5 Cintar converted to Nikon RF Mount, on the EP2 - Mu-43 Gallery

And some interesting lenses that were never made in Leica mount that are quite good.

Karat Xenar 5cm F2.8 converted to Leica mount, on the EP2 and M9. - Mu-43 Gallery

The Karat Xenar is not a Tessar formula lens- more like a Xenotar. Total investment, $80 for the lens and the mount.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/244057-so-pretty-pink-series.html

A sample shot using the 50mm Summilux ASPH on the M8. My 35mm Summicron ASPH gets most of my use. I only use these two lenses. I gave up my 18mm and 90mm because I hardly ever touched them.

Edited by wilfredo

Leica R lens + Nikon or Canon or Leica = Awesome :D

I think we see many reasons to stick with Leica :rolleyes:

You didn't get it yet. We are talking about Leica M + 400/560mm lens + VISO. It makes no sense to use Leica M with that. Using Leica R is another story.

To use super tele lenses, 400mm or 600mm, I really need good and fast AF. YMMV.

You didn't get it yet. We are talking about Leica M + 400/560mm lens + VISO. It makes no sense to use Leica M with that. Using Leica R is another story.

I did, sorry, you didn't :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nikon RF and Canon RF are hard to find. Price are high.

How about the Zeiss Jena?

Zeiss Jena lenses in original Leica Thread Mount are more expensive than the Nikkor and Canon lenses, due to rarity. They were made during World War II, and some of the materials were not as good as the pre-war lenses. The mechanical design is not the best thought out. I have taken at least a dozen of them apart. The Jupiter-3 mount is an improvement on the Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 focus mount. I have one "perfect glass" 1943 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 in original LTM- and it produces gorgeous pictures. Getting it to work properly, 8 hours of reassembly.

All that stated: the optics module of the pre-war CZJ 5cm F1.5 Sonnar fits into a Jupiter-3 focus mount, and the 5cm f2 optics module will fit into a J-8.

Uncoated Sonnar 5cm F2 in Leica Mount - Mu-43 Gallery

1934 Sonnar 5cm f1.5 in Leica Mount - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery

These conversions are not hard to do. The 5cm F1.5 Sonnars in Contax mount go for under $200 (with patience!) and an F2 for about $125 and under. J-8's are under $50, J-3's- you need to wait for one with bad glass.

Edited by brianv

Man, am I frustrated. I’ll have to delete a few hundred images because I could not take them....:rolleyes::D

Noflexar T 400 on M8:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv