"Photoshop" like image manipulation in the early 20th century.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw this picture at a flea market and the face expression attracted me.

That's why I asked the dealer if it would be a painting or a print.

She replied that it had been common in the early 20th century to combine photographic portraits of people with painted clothes and painted backgrounds.

With this form of collage portrayed persons could transform themselves in the characters they wanted to be - or into the persons people would like to see.

More images via timelog 17061215

During that era children were considered small adults which accounts for some of their more formal clothing, at least among those who could afford the clothes, and in addition a certain set of clothes they wore often portrayed their father's profession, thus the sailor outfit which in this case was embellished.

The sailor suit was worn by both boy's and girl's in the Victorian era and the fashion was started by Queen Victoria dressing one of her children in a copy of the Royal Navy uniform.

Steve

Oh great! You set off a meme I will have to deal with for a while. "... Britannia rule the waves. Englishmen will never be slaves." I'll wash it away with some Bob Dylan.

Yes, in late '800 / start '900 the "mixing" of painting and photographing was considered at all normal, and even in terms of artists themselves , there used to be a strict relationship between thw two disciplines; it is worth reminding that the first Impressionists' exhibition (to be precise, the exhibition that made a reviewer to invent the term "impressionism") was held at the studio of a Parisian photographer (Nadar)

Thanks for all the interesting comments. Telling about Nadar i suddenly remember that 15 years ago i made holiday in a nice house formaly owned by the family Niepce. http://www.maisonniepce.com/index_en.html And they had similar photo/painting collages hanging at their walls too.

The old collage technique is so funny/interesting for me because inter alia I earn my money with the compositing of pictures and film via hightec computer, photoshop and co and i have had learned this part of my business with stuff named "paintbox" from Quantel.

But just a last question: had the choice between painted or real clothes been a question of money or just a question of aesthetic in that times?

Best regards

JJ

Edited by jobjob