Survey: Your opinion about the new LEICA M MONOCHROM

LUF Admin

What do you think about the LEICA M MONOCHROM?  

1,488 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the LEICA M MONOCHROM?

• Perfect camera for me! Where can I order?
    • I'd like to have one but too expensive...
    • Sounds interesting but nothing for me
    • Not interested
    • What a weird idea by Leica...

The price of the Leica M9 Monochrome reflects perfectly the fact that it is indeed an M9 with new sensor and (at least in part) electronic AND it will be sold in lesser quantities than the actual M9 versions (due to its particularity). So it simply HAS to cost more than the actual M9, since development cost and other type of costs will be spread on less body units that will be sold.

For sure the B/W sensors are quite interesting to be explored, Leica has been really brave in trying to propose something new like this.

Is this first try better or worse than a good BW software conversion? Only time will tell, since I saw some beautiful images but even some others that seems to be almost innatural, like with artifacts. So really it is needed time in order to evaluate the results in every aspect.

It's off topic, but what I really do not understand is the price of the new f:2 lens....:rolleyes:

I personally have been hoping for a micro 4/3 Leica M camera with interchangeable lenses

Now if this had a dedicated B&W sensor and was priced around $2500 I know a number of photographers who would jump on it.

Please Leica give us innovation but give us tools we need and can afford and please less Bling.

Regarding the new 50mm Summicron lens, yes it may indeed be a masterpiece but I need something I can use and not just to admire in some museum.

At the moment I'm uneasy about Leica. It's not my style to be associated with bling products for over wealthy customers - and that's what M9Hermes and M9M look like to me; and don't assume I'm jealous because I can't afford them. Yes, they'll make a nice profit for Leica, and that's good, but the image of Leica bothers me now more than ever. So will Photokina rescue me? Not sure. I seem to be drifting away from the Leica camp. My Digilux suits me. Even better would be a camera with a fixed standard lens, auto-focus because it's quicker and more accurate, aperture and shutter rings where they should be, a viewfinder with exposure info, and about the size of my Rollei 35SE. Sadly I seem to be alone, and I think I've lost hope that Leica will ever again come my way.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think its a great concept and Leica should be applauded for making one...the filter issue is neither here nor there... in the days of film I seldom used filters so for me that's not a deal breaker....The idea of having best possible quality sensor (m m) and best possible quality lens (new standard 50mmm f2..) in a smallish package appeals greatly to the photographer in me...

But add the two together and at that price would I be wanting to walk around any street?....definately not here in my side of the woods....and I have seen a few dodgy streets elsewhere on my travels too...

But as uncle Ansel said there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy subject...so there is hope for us economically challenged plebs...

But, and this is a big but, and sort of makes me feel glad that I am not associated with this in a big way (only an x ).. there is this Leica Jekel and Hyde image.... on the same day that they release a serious photographers tool they also announce the Hermes edition....:confused:

...bling products for over wealthy customers - and that's what M9Hermes and M9M look like to me; and don't assume I'm jealous because I can't afford them. ...

I don't see it the same way. Rather, the M9M looks to be more like the anti-bling offering. No red dot, no script, nearly invisible model indentification would seem to be more for "the in-crowd." Certainly, the M9Hermes is for the la Croisette bunch about this time of year as you imply.

Like others above, I would like to see some M9/M9M comparison shots. If the B&W images are greatly superior, this unit could appeal.

I would LOVE one, of course, as I primarily post produce to B&W. The high ISO is intriguing, but I doubt I would use in camera toning or filter effects. I prefer to do that in post. (I didn't see anything in the specs about using deep red filters for infrared effects.) I will have to continue using my M8.2 and Silver Efex Pro, though, until we start seeing these machines on the used market. Oh, to win the lottery....!

I would truly love one as I do a lot of B&W conversions but at this point, I would need to start selling stuff and the only thing I have that I rarely use is my 90 lens. It would not make much of a dent in the $7,950 price for the M9M.

I've very mixed feelings about this camera. On the one hand, it appeals greatly to the purist in me. I'm not even a committed B&W shooter but having a major creative decision taken away from me ("am I shooting this in colour or B&W?") is curiously appealing and analogous to the way I've moved to shooting pretty much everything with only one focal length. The camera itself is beautiful – I much prefer the utilitarian feel of black chrome and its überminimalism chimes with the whole purity thing. I've already done the mental exercise of working out what bits of kit I could sell to buy this camera but...

On the other hand, increased resolution, whilst superficially attractive and heart warming to look at when examining files at 100% in Photoshop, really isn't going to do anything for the kind of photography I largely do and so far I'm unconvinced that this camera has any tonal advantage over my M9. From what I've seen it looks very susceptible to blown highlights and a lot of the examples (which may not be representative) remind me of overcooked Tri-X (without the pleasing grain).

In truth, my feelings about this camera are almost certainly just GAS. It isn't going to do anything meaningful for me in a creative sense that I cannot already achieve with either my film or digital Leicas – absolutely nothing. I doubt that having a warm and fuzzy, rather smug, feeling about photographic purity and being 'oh so knowing' for working with a B&W only camera like the M Monochrom is realistically going to help me shoot a single frame of photographic greatness that I couldn't already do (if I had the talent) with the gear that I already have.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 4

I'm not sure how anyone makes any kind of decision on quality by looking at images on a 72dpi computer screen...

I used the Leica M6 for many years for all my portfolio work. I was very happy with it as a film camera. I loved Leica's for their size and quality.

I bought an M9 and was NOT very happy with it for several reasons, including pixel noise.

I will not spend almost 8K for either a camera that shoots only B&W, or a lens that is supposed to be the greatest (max F:2?))

Today, technology is moving so fast that cameras are obsolete about six months after introduction.

I get the Leica collector thing, but that's not me. I need a camera that produces. I would love to have a Leica digital with the quality and USEABLE low light sensor range of the two Nikon D3s cameras I currently use for weddings.

This ain't it.

I HOPE Leica has some other tricks up their sleeve in the coming months--otherwise I would hold off on that new building...

tv

Edited by tyler

Nearly everything I do with the M9 is in monochrome, so it would seem the MM is made for me. But I wonder about its longevity. If the M10 is going to be the advance than Leica need isn't it possible that it will do just as well as a monochrome M? I mean, Luminous Landscape are reporting that the 18mp MM sensor is as good as a 36mp (we all know which one) sensor for resolution. If the M10 has a sensor with a much higher pixel count it immediately negates the MM performance gain, and with the option of colour.

I would like an MM, but I don't really desire one as I did the M9, and the price also makes me think I would rather use more film and become one of those photographers who mock the digital world. Leica haven't convinced me in the least.

Steve

Personally, even though most of what I do is monochrome, this is not for me. Being able to vary filtration in post is worth far more to me than the additional resolution.

But I do predict that this will be come a cult camera second to none.

Sandy

• Like 1

I think my primary concern about the camera itself is whether losing the colour-chanel pp possibilities would actually diminish its B&W capabilities in any significant way.

Using filters will be appropriate in some but not all situations, and anyway its different thing.

If I'm wrong, it becomes a very appealing product. But if I'm right, I'd rather use the M9 and accept the relatively lower but still considerable resolution.