Leica Angle finder

kcnarf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thumbs for the Leica Angle Finder. Probably it should be better and cheaper. Yet at least it exists, making possible some degree of comfort when taking low-angle shots and thereby increasing the probability that I will actually,when appropriate, take such shots .

It also has helped me to solve another problem. Holding my left eye open while my right eye tries to focus through the M9's viewfinder has, up to now, usually impeded clear vision of the focus patch.

But with the angle finder horizontally in the around-a-corner viewing position, my 2 eyes no longer tend to merge into one single vision that overrides the focus patch. My left eye and right eye each keep a separate vision of the photographic subject. Then my right eye has clear visibility of the focus patch, the left eye no longer imposing upon the right eye a patchless vision of the photographic subject.

Now when I switch the angle finder back to its normal vertical position and no longer offer myself a doubled view of the photographic subject, my right eye nevertheless is able to maintain a clear view of the focus patch. In other words, I unwittingly have used the angle finder to train my 2 eyes in how, unconsciously, to separate their two perspectives and not to impose one upon the other. (I hope to have clearly expressed myself on this latter point.)

Edited by kcnarf
a tiny problem of syntax

Oh, by the way, the Leica Angle Finder is neither designed nor necessary for ultra-wide lenses. The large DOF of such lenses, except for maybe the Summilux and Emmarit versions at sub-F/4 stops, means that you can, first, focus and frame at eye level from an upright standing position and, then, looking directly at he subject rather than in a viewfinder, drop the camera down low, or raise it up high, and, with ease, shoot successfully.

Interesting remark about the use of both eyes open with the angle finder. It is true that if the images for left and right eye have no resemblence it is easier to separate the attention to one of the eyes.

It should be noted that for general use, it has its limitations: the angle finder, having no optics other than a prism and removing the eye further form the rangefinder, limits the use to 75mm, 90mm and 135mm framelines without moving your head. With head movements, the 50mm lines can be seen. With glasses (spectacles) the limit is shifted to 90mm and 135mm.

• 4 years later...